Problems loading TV at home - is it the Router?

Gsxrnz

For the past few weeks I've been having problems loading/refreshing Thai Visa on my laptop at home. I think it coincided with a Windows update but not 100% sure. I rolled back the update, reinstalled IE8, cleared caches, tried all other browsers (opera, chrome, firefox etc) and still had trouble loading/refreshing to the point or tears.

Now I'm staying at a hotel and having no problems at all.

Is it possible that my Router at home has some issues? I cleared the DNS cache and the internet history etc many times but as the problem is not occurring on the hotel network, I'm thinking my router is the issue. I did several restarts of my router in an attempt to solve the problems but it made no difference.

Is it the router causing the problem at home, and if so, what else can I do to it to stop it misbehaving?

Any advice appreciated.

Posted Today, 12:24

For the past few weeks I've been having problems loading/refreshing Thai Visa on my laptop at home. [...]

Is it possible that my Router at home has some issues? [...]

Is it the router causing the problem at home, and if so, what else can I do to it to stop it misbehaving?

Any advice appreciated.

If ISP-hosted speedtests indicate you are receiving your fully subscribed Down/Up data rate, then I would suspect DNS issues.

You can try adjusting your router to use google's open/public DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and see if that corrects the issue.

Posted Today, 12:24

For the past few weeks I've been having problems loading/refreshing Thai Visa on my laptop at home. [...]

Is it possible that my Router at home has some issues? [...]

Any advice appreciated.

If ISP-hosted speedtests indicate you are receiving your fully subscribed Down/Up data rate, then I would suspect DNS issues.

You can try adjusting your router to use google's open/public DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and see if that corrects the issue.

Thanks - I'll give it a crack when I get home. Data was moving OK, all other websites work fine. It's only TV I have a problem with.

No idea why have the same problem and only with ThaiVisa, found long ago [well over 1 year maybe 2 or more now + reported in Forum Support] and use DNS 8.8.8.8 still no good. best to use Singapore or UK then opens 1st time.

Same on my old PC + now new PC and Laptop, tried on 2 different friends computers in the Village + the Internet cafe in the next Village = ALL the same.......loading/refreshing 30x per page is beyond a joke.

Tried again only yesterday without a VPN = No Data Sent,

I go through fits and spurts of this. Most of the time it is OK, but sometimes it just won't load and stays like that for hours or days.

Watching the status bar - I see that the problem is that the page download gets hung up on the googleapis or other external trackers etc called by the site, and the download ends up timing out.

When it happens - not much I can do about it, so it serves me as a reminder that I should not be spending so much time on Thaivisa and should be doing something more productive.

• Like 2

When I had a TOT aDSL line, ThaiVisa would sometimes give me issues. Sites that are 'script' heavy and use external metatrackers (as Bino pointed out) like googleapis along with external ad revenue generators can get bogged down over international Internet connections.

I found that using web extensions like Hola! (a url VPN redirector) could many times route around the issue by setting the redirector to originate from Singapore.

Also, some people have issues because their Internet Connection devices are misconfigured. Some network equipment have MTU (maximum transmission units) set at 1500 per packet but their Internet connection using PPPoE can only handle 1492, and the packets have to be split and by the network equipment and retransmitted as two separate packets to accommodate. Setting your PC to the max MTU of your connection is advisable.

If you want to test your Network MTU throughput, try using LetMeCheck.it