30 baht scheme

DavidDM

She is still covered fully. It is important to understand though that the 30baht shcheme is only available at the hospital at which she is registered. Most thais just leave their registration as at their family home and thus are not covered when they move away from there. They must change their registration to their new address to be covered.

• Like 1

Should be free anyway, the B30-charge was dropped.

O don't see why a change in her marital-status should change things, but your wife-to-be may disagree !

30 baht charge was reinstated by the Yingluck government.

O don't see why a change in her marital-status should change things, but your wife-to-be may disagree !

Can you confirm this? As of today at the hospital, the fee was waived for one of my family members. I believe you are incorrect. It's still free.

Can you confirm this? As of today at the hospital, the fee was waived for one of my family members. I believe you are incorrect. It's still free.

It is free for people who are ...declared mentally ill and incompetant ( then treatment is available at any hospital) , free for children, ove 70 year old do not pay and any other people who do not wish to pay and are willing to make a declaration of that.

It is free for people who are ...declared mentally ill and incompetant ( then treatment is available at any hospital) , free for children, ove 70 year old do not pay and any other people who do not wish to pay and are willing to make a declaration of that.

This is incorrect. The administrator of our Ampoe's local government hospital is my neighbor and confirms there is no requirement for a declaration of mental incompetence for the fee to be waived. My family member has just returned from the hospital moments ago, the fee is waived as it is for everyone.

The 30 baht fee was re-introduced, but it was made optional for the hospitals whether they want to charge it or not (seeing that the cost of the administration required in most cases outweighed the fee).

Sophon

This is incorrect. The administrator of our Ampoe's local government hospital is my neighbor and confirms there is no requirement for a declaration of mental incompetence for the fee to be waived. My family member has just returned from the hospital moments ago, the fee is waived as it is for everyone.

Read the Nation article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/30-baht-universal-healthcare-programme-to-start-ne-30188195.html

Witthaya said patients would be required to pay Bt30 in the event they required medications. However, 21 groups of people would be exempted from the Bt30 payment. These groups include low-income people, local administration officials, people who are older than 60, the handicapped, Buddhist monks, nuns and novices, and Islamic religious leaders, as well children under 12 years.

The list I actually used was much more comprehensive and not in English which is why I only gave a few categorieis of the many.

Edited by harrry

Read the Nation article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/30-baht-universal-healthcare-programme-to-start-ne-30188195.html

That article dated August 13, 2012 and is more than two years old. Where I live it has not been reintroduced or implemented. I just checked with the man who does the insurance for my Amphoe's local government hospital and he verified this a moment ago.

If you, or anyone else, can confirm that the 30 baht charge has been implemented anywhere else in Thailand I'd welcome that information gladly.

And then quickly made voluntary, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

this 30 baht scheme, so am I right in saying any thai under 12 years old and over 60 get medical pills for free (up to 4 times a year) at your local general hospital, other words lets say my daughter who is under 12, was ill, say a fever and I take her to the local hospital, I would only have to pay 30 baht for any medicine/pills,

im trying to read up about it while im typing this, lol so what ive just typed is wrong, anyone under 12 and over 60 is exempted,

so if my thai wife was ill ,a fever, she would only have to pay 30 baht for any medicine/pills,

can anyone explain it to me, as simply as possible.

thanks

Look here, especialy p.4.

https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/13297/75000.pdf

In brief you are correct about the exemptions for over-60s and under-12s (who do not even pay the 30 baht). Your wife may or may not have to pay according to local policy on collecting the co-payment.

Edited by citizen33

While participating Thais may receive their health care for free( or 30 baht) be aware that many ladies who have a falang consider it a status symbol "na yai" to go to private hospitals and clinics. They will often fabricate stories about why they can't get free treatment and meds. This is not an exaggeration on my part. The reality is that the same doctors who work at the private venues almost always work also at the government hopitals, so the quality of care is quite similiar. In fact the government hospitals often have the most advanced equipment. The only real downside is that patients often have long ques, and the accomodations are not five star..

While participating Thais may receive their health care for free( or 30 baht) be aware that many ladies who have a falang consider it a status symbol "na yai" to go to private hospitals and clinics. They will often fabricate stories about why they can't get free treatment and meds. This is not an exaggeration on my part. The reality is that the same doctors who work at the private venues almost always work also at the government hopitals, so the quality of care is quite similiar. In fact the government hospitals often have the most advanced equipment. The only real downside is that patients often have long ques, and the accomodations are not five star..

Yes, you had better believe it. Note that doctors who work for the government earn higher salaries for working in the provinces than in Bangkok. They often work while in the provinces at several hospitals, private, and government.

My MIL had two knee replacements at the 30 baht rate (which was waived) done by a surgeon employed at both private and govt. hospitals. It was done in the govt. hospital on his recommendation... "Why pay more"?

You are spot on!

I am on the Insurance for Foreigners scheme (for one more month) at my local district hospital I do not get charged the ฿30, drugs or no drugs, and this being Thailand, there are almost always drugs. However the times I have been referred to my provincial hospital I have been charged the ฿30.