Can you do a tax return for the year you quit your job and left Thailand?

Hi. I was asking this question at another topic, but since it's different from the original topic, I'm making a new topic here to avoid confusion.

I worked from February 2013 till March 2014. I don't live in Thailand anymore, and I don't have any work visa/permit.

I have done a tax return for the year 2013 since I was there at that time, but can I do it for 2014 as well?

Also, I want to know if I could get tax deduction for the year 2014 from LTF investment that is done AFTER I quit my job.

If you are not going to remain resident in Thailand strictly speaking you should do a tax clearance certificate on leaving. Hardly anyone seems to do that though.

If you carry on living here and don't work you'll remain tax resident.

When looking at allowances they are all given for the calendar year 1 Jan - 31 Dec. So if you have any income in the year the same rules apply: lower of 15% or 500k. Doesn't matter how many days/ months you work, it is total relevant income in the tax year

You may find all your other allowances and the nil band mean you have no tax to pay. Hence no tax relief. But as long as you have some taxable income and are paying some tax, you'll be able to claim the LTF allowance you're looking for.

So assuming you're still living here next year in say Jan 2015 and are tax resident, you can file a tax return for year ending 31 Dec 2014 after the year end, just like you did before

Cheers

Fletch :)