What's your dream house appliance / gadget / thingy ?

skippybangkok

If we were no longer bound by financial constraints, what would be your dream list ?

Preferably keep it to things which need electricity or connect to the Internet. I.e home theatre, motion simulator for racing games etc.

My dream would be a flight sim with motion and a good cockpit

I'd love to have a condo with a swimming pool/hot tub where you could watch a huge TV from the hot tub - like this Samsung 4k 85 inch:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/flat-tvs/UE85S9STXXU

My old place in the US had some dream appliances that I really miss:

• Solar electric panels on the roof
  • Viking refrigerator and Viking 6 burner stove
  • Shower drain heat exchanger
  • Heat recovery ventilation
  • Bosch dishwasher - so quiet that it was hard to tell that it was working
  • Whole house fan
  • Giant LG front-loader washer/dryer

Of course I'd love to add a Tesla Model S to the mix!

In Thailand, I would settle for bug screens on my windows...

May we ask what is a TGAU so we can envy you?

like the old saying, goes if you have to ask how much something is, you cant afford it

if one has to ask what a TGAU is ?, ready for a TGAU your not...wink.png

If he wants a TGAU, then he's better invest in a GERU to.

• Like 1

Well, I will give you one feature that we are designing into our villa.

A company called Jung does home automation. We will have a "smart home" where we can control pretty much everything from our iPad / iphone.

Electric windows, electric blinds, garage door opener, sprinkler system, misting system, entire villa sound system, fire places, door video station, door opening, all LED lights, pool lights, water fountain, CCTV's and security system, aircons.

Basically, can lie in bed and put the entire house to sleep with iPad, or wake the house up, or set a mood of designed settings, I.E, lights, temp.

So you stay in BED ALL DAY.

WOW what a bore.

My dream gadget is something along the lines of a microwave oven, but with a USB connection to the computer / internet.

My vision is that my Mom could have the same thing at home, and email me fresh hot goodies like baked lasagna, chocloate chip cookies, and turkey dinner at Christmas.

Although this idea was borne with Mom's home cooking in mind, I soon started fantasizing about revolutionizing the food delivery industry.

Can't find good Mexican food in Bangkok? Pay with PayPal or Visa and get it instantly emailed direct from a taco stand in Ensenada. Maine lobster, fresh French bread, Boston clam chowder, Alaska salmon.... the world is your kitchen tonight.

I am drooling just thinking about it.

• Like 1

A company called Jung does home automation. We will have a "smart home" where we can control pretty much everything from our iPad / iphone.

The problem with this is that invariably, so can someone else.

wink.png

• Like 1

May we ask what is a TGAU so we can envy you?

like the old saying, goes if you have to ask how much something is, you cant afford it

if one has to ask what a TGAU is ?, ready for a TGAU your not...wink.png

If he wants a TGAU, then he's better invest in a GERU to.

And quite possibly pay a visit to Doctor Will (forewarned is forearmed). smile.png

I have 2 things. The first is finding a contractor to convert my plunge pool in phuket into a jacuzzi. Even though i am prepared to pay whatever it takes nobody seems interested. The second is to get my hands on a kick ass HTPC. Although you can get something for $300-700 here in Bangkok it still requires major programming and upgrades and I'm to stupid to do that. I saw this site in the US that builds custom ones where a fully loaded one can cost around $5k . I'm not gonna pay that much but reading through the options available makes me green with envy.

A mute Thai girl would be a handy gadget.

A mute ORPHAN Thai girl would be even better! wink.pngtongue.png

"Preferably keep it to things which need electricity or connect to the Internet. I...."

Do they need electricity these days?

sad.png

No, but they are often (too much) connected to the Internet! ;):P

• Like 1

Electric windows, electric blinds, garage door opener, sprinkler system, misting system, entire villa sound system, fire places, door video station, door opening, all LED lights, pool lights, water fountain, CCTV's and security system, aircons.

Basically, can lie in bed and put the entire house to sleep with iPad, or wake the house up, or set a mood of designed settings, I.E, lights, temp.

Who's designing to for you?

RAZZ

Who's designing to for you?

RAZZ

A German company called Jung. Lots of info on the web about them. Office in BKK. PM me if you want the guys email address. He is Singaporean and speaks english.

Sounds very much like a C Bus system that has been around for many years. The average electrical contractor can install them these days (maybe not a Thai electrical contractor though!)

Every node (i.e. electrical/electronic device) has an address in much the same manner as a MAC for other digital devices in a network. The Ipad/pod/phone or similar communicates with the system/node and it does its thing.

Very neat installations with the added bonus that you can dial in from wherever and open/close curtains, operate lights, turn on the garden sprinklers etc etc to make it look as if the home is occupied when you may actually be on holidays. Good deterrent factor for burglars etc.

I have 2 things. The first is finding a contractor to convert my plunge pool in phuket into a jacuzzi. Even though i am prepared to pay whatever it takes nobody seems interested. The second is to get my hands on a kick ass HTPC. Although you can get something for $300-700 here in Bangkok it still requires major programming and upgrades and I'm to stupid to do that. I saw this site in the US that builds custom ones where a fully loaded one can cost around $5k . I'm not gonna pay that much but reading through the options available makes me green with envy.

Do you have the address of the site ? I'm trying to design my own HTPC and I'd like to have some example of what others have already done.

Thanks in advance. JJ

Edited by JohnnyJazz

How much does it cost, roughly ?

I've to say I like very much the idea. We are going to do some renovation in our house and that's something that can be done at the same time. But first I'd like to know if it could fit in our (landlord) budget before exploring the matter any further.

@jj sure the company is called assassin htpc and their address is http://www.assassinhtpc.com/performance.php

The one I was looking at was the Prestige model and you can see all the options by pressing the customize and buy button. It's an excellent resource as the customization page has drop down menus that explain the advantages of adding or dropping components.

The problem is that these things get old fast as the technology improves both on the htpc side and the Tv side and I would hate to spend $3-4k or even $5k on my ultimate gadget and then have to replace it after a couple of years. Right now I'm just playing around with $100 android boxes running xbmc and over the course of a few months I've seen major changes in both the hardware and software sides.

Please let me know if you end up building one as I may venture down that route myself .

I have just designed my new house but things i have included require zero electricity so I dont know if they will count.

Firstly I have included Solar Panels - Uses zero electricity.

Second I have included Natural AC - Uses zero electricity but chills the house on hot days

....motion simulator for racing games etc. My dream would be a flight sim with motion and a good cockpit

i know the one's you mean, they're pretty cool . . . but i'm an 80's kid and this arcade machine (with it's moving cabinet) was cutting edge nearly 30yr ago. Great fun & spent loads on it at the time.

(skip to 6:50 to see it in motion)

room space pending . . i've always wanted to recreate my own retro arcade/game room, and this baby would certainly have pride of place plonked right in the middle! w00t.gif