Computer Internet Dongal With Aerial Connection

carlyai

Dongle or "Pocket" adapter

3G devices are normally sold an almost any 'phone' store. 4G/LTE devices are typically sold in True H mobile stores.

D-LINK DWM-156 3G HSUPA USB ADAPTER (850 or 900 & 2100MHz) "Dongle" connects to laptop or 3G-capable USB device

HUAWEI E5331 3G POCKET WIFI ROUTER (850 or 900 & 2100 MHz) Pocket adapter allows up to 5 WiFi Devices to use its mobile 3G connection

D-Link%203G%20HSUPA%20USB%20Adapter%20%2Huawei%203G%20Pocket%20WiFi%20Router.jpg

As you can see, these devices normally don't have external antennas. 'Some' devices from ZTE, HUAWEI, Sierra Wireless and Novatel Wireless have miniature SMA connectors where an external antenna or cabled antenna can be attached, are available but not as heavily marketed with bundled antennas here in Thailand. [see Sample UK website showing 3G dongle antenna compatibility ]

Some ThaiVisa users have mated a 3G USB Dongle with a 3G-capable WiFi Router which they place outside in a weather-clear location and connect to it via WiFi with their Laptop other Internet devices.

ASUS RT-N10U B 3-IN-1 WIRELESS-N150 ROUTER WITH 3G/4G BACKUP, or similarly capable WiFi Router, AND a 3G Dongle for 3G Data Internet connection

Router%20with%203G-4G%20BACKUP.jpg PLUS D-LINK%20DWM-156%203G%20HSUPA%20USB%20AD

And when you pick a 3G USB Dongle, check the stated top speed rate.

They are usually fixed at 7.2, 21 or 42 mbps. with some 4G dongles capable of 100 mbps.

Your actual usable/delivered speed will be determined by overall signal strength and distance from tower, capability and congestion of the tower, and subscribed rate. Local vs International Internet speeds will differ and determined by peering agreements, equipment configuration, and congestion.

Some people have to live with 1 mbps down from their local towers while others have the full 42 mbps.

If you find a 3G dongle with an antenna port, but not the antenna, you can order them from aliexpress [search 3G Antenna]

Just make sure to match the antenna connection (SMA/CRC9/MCX/N), match the major frequency or band used, and the shortest cable required.

• Like 1

THIS IS NOT GOING TO HELP THE OP. SORRY.

My old HTC Desire (4 years old this month) was a great phone and the wifi hotpost was a great feature.

I am still using this phone today, mostly for email replies and hot-spotting when on the move.

I would love to be able to hardware hack it and add a plug (are they called pigtails?) for a external antenna, anyone got a thought about where I could get that done?

My old HTC Desire (4 years old this month) was a great phone and the wifi hotpost was a great feature.

I am still using this phone today, mostly for email replies and hot-spotting when on the move.

I would love to be able to hardware hack it and add a plug (are they called pigtails?) for a external antenna, anyone got a thought about where I could get that done?

Just find a mobile phone repair shop, they're everywhere.

Research your exact model first to locate the two contact points, and how the pigtail will exit the phone. The design probably precludes adding any sockets so you'll have to live with a fragile pigtail and hope it doesn't get snagged. Mobile phones usually have three or more sets of antennas ( mobile tx/rx, WiFi, GPS, NFC ) and the mobile tx/rx is usually in the most inaccessable of locations.

A second alternative is to play with 'passive' antenna patches. The in-battery ones are mostly gimmicks, though one connected to an external antenna might provide some signal gain.

A third alternative might be to design your own 'mag' connector. Wire the internal antenna to some through-and-through metal contact points on the case, along with some embedded miniature magnets that would allow an external antenna connector to make and hold contact with your new surface pins. Or maybe I've just had too much exposure to modeling glue.