TAT plans to extend visa stay for European tourists to raise revenue

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people like to moan about Thailand but when I went to Bali for a Triple Entry Tourist Visa for Thailand I had to pay an Indonesian Entry Fee at the airport and when I left an exit fee. I have been to many countries but never had to pay for both entry and exit. First and last time I go to Indonesia it was not so much the amount but I found it insulting. One fellow who missed the payment booths missed his flight to Australia as there were only ATM's prior to Immigration and had to buy a new ticket. Thailand is free to enter and exit as a Tourist.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud

But apart from teenagers on a year out (not the quality tourist TAT wants I suspect) , those who have retired, or the rich. How many people can actually afford in terms of time and money to take a 2 month holiday? As far as I know most people who work have about 25 days annual holiday and i'd imagine that these folk (working people) are the mainstay of Thailand's tourist industry in terms of revenue. A 30 day or 60 day visa will make little difference if they are on a two week break?

Whilst it is a nice gesture from TAT, they seem to be targeting a very small group with this extension I doubt very sadly, that it will lead to the generation of significant revenue.

You are so right.

But, you miss the point, it is about European or western countries.

Which might mean the TAT is seeing the light, western tourists spend more per day and stay longer.

Chinese tourists spend hardly anyting in the local economy and stay shorter,

Also, western tourists, those who can do it, want to spend wintertime in warmer climates.

So 60 days is a good thing, but 90 days would be even better.

The entire classification of visas is all over the whole place in the country. But with on one side, immigration trying to clean up long stayers, runners and illegal work permits, and on the other TAT crying out for numbers so they can hit their targets, what can they do.

The chinese numbers fell through the floor when they got rid of zero cost tours, which hardly count as attracting tourists anyway. the only strategy in place is figures over revenue, the resorts are largely a mess of corruption and polluted sea, so Thailand is just reaping the crop that it has sowed over the last 10 years.

Now there is no way to analyse any of the figures because the numbers have been a fudge for ages. Just think of it, 2mn tourists a month. If they stop 50k visa runners, per month that is 2.5% drop just on its own, but why were they counted in the figures anyway?

TAT should update all their photos of Thai beaches to eliminate the beds and umbrellas - then numbers will surely increase significantly? Though this week Patong Beach is virtually deserted - public yet out in numbers to "reclaim" their beach.

I know people like to moan about Thailand but when I went to Bali for a Triple Entry Tourist Visa for Thailand I had to pay an Indonesian Entry Fee at the airport and when I left an exit fee. I have been to many countries but never had to pay for both entry and exit. First and last time I go to Indonesia it was not so much the amount but I found it insulting. One fellow who missed the payment booths missed his flight to Australia as there were only ATM's prior to Immigration and had to buy a new ticket. Thailand is free to enter and exit as a Tourist.

Incorrect you pay to enter if you bought a visa. You pay to exit here in Thailand too. Its included in your airfare. But it feels you are not paying. As you don't notice it. Or you came in on a visa waiver 30days.
  • Like 1

I honestly don't get it...

When the government wants to clamp down on visas everyone complains that its not fair - now they are opening it up - what happens - you bunch of whining useless pricks KEEP ON COMPLAINING!

What the hell do you want?

Extending visas to open it up to whoever wants to stay as long as they need up to a reasonable time - maybe 3 months, maybe more - would be good for some and not affect others - but for <deleted> sake stop complaining that they didn't do exactly what YOU want - whatever that might be - and accept that a blanket policy is just that - it has to cater to as many variations as possible, so it may very well allow people to stay longer than they need, but for others it will be just right - jeeesus H christ!

What a vile contribution!

Obscene abuse towards other posters in the first sentence and gratuitous blasphemy in the last.

Does this forum have moderators or not? If so why don't they do their job?

Anyhow the principle complaint is that the whole thing is meaningless since European tourist visa holders already get 60 days on arrival, plus the 30 day extension if needed.

Edited by Cthulhu
  • Like 1

I honestly don't get it...

When the government wants to clamp down on visas everyone complains that its not fair - now they are opening it up - what happens - you bunch of whining useless pricks KEEP ON COMPLAINING!

What the hell do you want?

Extending visas to open it up to whoever wants to stay as long as they need up to a reasonable time - maybe 3 months, maybe more - would be good for some and not affect others - but for <deleted> sake stop complaining that they didn't do exactly what YOU want - whatever that might be - and accept that a blanket policy is just that - it has to cater to as many variations as possible, so it may very well allow people to stay longer than they need, but for others it will be just right - jeeesus H christ!

But what TAT said in its statement was just plane incorrect ... Tourist visas are already 60 days + 30 days extension at the local immigration office.

The so called whining is mostly about the fact TAT has no idea what the current visa period is.. so the TAT comments extension of time is ridiculous ...

Of course, to really get revenues back to pre-2008 levels TAT are going to need to stimulate demand. Seeing the EU-US governments' failure to do this, I can't see their effrorts meeting with much success.

I can't see many Chinese or Russian tourists paying $18 for a pint of Guinness, $25 for a hotel breakfast or $30 for a 10-minute taxi ride.

Thailand is free to enter and exit as a Tourist.

Bangkok Airports have 500 Baht fee, not sure about else where in Thailand.

It's at least 700 Baht on your flight ticket to exit now. It used to be 500 baht years ago when we had to pay at the box with the girl in it.

• Like 2

Things are getting easier. Very good.

Really ?

One tourist visa already allows Europeans to stay 60 days, so there is no change whatsoever.

I didn't know the tourist visas were lowered to 30 days :-)

700 Baht. Already charged in your ticket automatically since few years ago. Nothing is free.

• Like 1

Sorry to be a stick in the mud

But apart from teenagers on a year out (not the quality tourist TAT wants I suspect) , those who have retired, or the rich. How many people can actually afford in terms of time and money to take a 2 month holiday?

I wouldn't underestimate the spending power of those teenagers.

Yes indeed. The teen and 20s students might be backpackers today, but they're the flashpackers of the future, and no doubt bringing their kids with them.

• Like 1

i only get 30 days when i arrive in bangkok,where does 60 days come in,i guess you have to go to immigration and get a 30 day extension.

Many years ago i got and paid for a multiple entry visa didnt count for nothing at a border crossing still got the 30 day stamp.

Incorrect you pay to enter if you bought a visa. You pay to exit here in Thailand too. Its included in your airfare. But it feels you are not paying. As you don't notice it. Or you came in on a visa waiver 30days.

Are you saying that there are no Taxes on flights in Indonesia? In addition Flight Taxes are for everyone, citizens in addition to foreigners. Not the same target market.

Edited by FiestyFarang

It's at least 700 Baht on your flight ticket to exit now. It used to be 500 baht years ago when we had to pay at the box with the girl in it.

Flight Tax is for everyone not just foreigners not the same target market.

60 or 90 days free would have me want to visit back with the family knowing I don't have to tit about for an extension of a week or two. Sure many of my retired friends who like to spend a couple of months every year there would also welcome it.

Sounds good to me and a step in the right direction....

You have got to give it to them, Thailand is really trying to pull itself into the 21st Century, with all that is going on.

All a marked improvement for Retirees like myself....

Problem is Your group is next on the agenda for the Kangaroo court hahaha cheesy.gif

Edited by ScotBkk