TAT plans to extend visa stay for European tourists to raise revenue

webfact

Sounds good to me and a step in the right direction....

You have got to give it to them, Thailand is really trying to pull itself into the 21st Century, with all that is going on.

All a marked improvement for Retirees like myself....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the wild swings in policy can we expect the next move to be all foreigners being told to leave no matter what their visa followed swiftly by free citizenship just by collecting 7 Eleven stamps?

On a more serious note when will they bring back 30 days on the border. The repeat visa-exemption crack down makes sense but 14 days for overland travellers? Does kind of show that they have forgotten that Thailand is the crossroads of SE Asia. It doesn't make any difference to me now as I have evolved. However my first forays here were on 30 day exemptions and it gave us plenty of opportunities to see the kingdom and spend our money between the other countries. We probably spent more time in Thailand than we did in any of the other countries just due to this.

What's wrong with those of us who shop in Tesco?

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 2

Sounds good to me and a step in the right direction....

You have got to give it to them, Thailand is really trying to pull itself into the 21st Century, with all that is going on.

All a marked improvement for Retirees like myself....

Problem is Your group is next on the agenda for the Kangaroo court hahaha cheesy.gif

Please provide any information that you have on "Your group is next".

Thanks.

• Like 1

With the wild swings in policy can we expect the next move to be all foreigners being told to leave no matter what their visa followed swiftly by free citizenship just by collecting 7 Eleven stamps?

On a more serious note when will they bring back 30 days on the border. The repeat visa-exemption crack down makes sense but 14 days for overland travellers? Does kind of show that they have forgotten that Thailand is the crossroads of SE Asia. It doesn't make any difference to me now as I have evolved. However my first forays here were on 30 day exemptions and it gave us plenty of opportunities to see the kingdom and spend our money between the other countries. We probably spent more time in Thailand than we did in any of the other countries just due to this.

What's wrong with those of us who shop in Tesco?

It's all in the backroom deals!!

• Like 1

I honestly don't get it...

When the government wants to clamp down on visas everyone complains that its not fair - now they are opening it up - what happens - you bunch of whining useless pricks KEEP ON COMPLAINING!

What the hell do you want?

Extending visas to open it up to whoever wants to stay as long as they need up to a reasonable time - maybe 3 months, maybe more - would be good for some and not affect others - but for <deleted> sake stop complaining that they didn't do exactly what YOU want - whatever that might be - and accept that a blanket policy is just that - it has to cater to as many variations as possible, so it may very well allow people to stay longer than they need, but for others it will be just right - jeeesus H christ!

What a vile contribution!

Obscene abuse towards other posters in the first sentence and gratuitous blasphemy in the last.

Does this forum have moderators or not? If so why don't they do their job?

Anyhow the principle complaint is that the whole thing is meaningless since European tourist visa holders already get 60 days on arrival, plus the 30 day extension if needed.

I agree that the post was obscene, and I will add juvenile and crude to the mix.

The moderators do a good job considering the volume of posts. Nothing is perfect, as far as I know, and one instance does not paint the overall picture of the whole.

It seems "Greer's" post has disappeared and perhaps he too.

Edited by Benmart

What is Thai way of living ?

Every evening in my area , it looks like the entire neighbourhood is getting drunk. Is that considered Thai way of living??

Going to Isaan , one also sees villagers getting drunk or swinging in the hammocks, is that considered Thai way of living?

Really , I am curious as how TAT defines Thai way of living which they want to promote

No this is the area where do you live. If you want to live in the area of your GF which in many cases are coming from the lowest places in the country you have to accept that many of your neighbors are alcohol addicted...

When the government wants to clamp down on visas everyone complains that its not fair - now they are opening it up - what happens - you bunch of whining useless pricks KEEP ON COMPLAINING!

Extending visas to open it up to whoever wants to stay as long as they need up to a reasonable time - maybe 3 months, maybe more - would be good for some and not affect others - but for <deleted> sake stop complaining that they didn't do exactly what YOU want - whatever that might be - and accept that a blanket policy is just that - it has to cater to as many variations as possible, so it may very well allow people to stay longer than they need, but for others it will be just right - jeeesus H christ!

Obscene abuse towards other posters in the first sentence and gratuitous blasphemy in the last.

Anyhow the principle complaint is that the whole thing is meaningless since European tourist visa holders already get 60 days on arrival, plus the 30 day extension if needed.

I agree that the post was obscene, and I will add juvenile and crude to the mix.

The moderators do a good job considering the volume of posts. Nothing is perfect, as far as I know, and one instance does not paint the overall picture of the whole.

A most entertaining display of pearl-clutching.

Just copy Malaysia's rules, 3 months stay for free.

No no no....they can't just copy something that works well in Malaysia......

As well they need to develop 100 different constitutions themself instead of just copying one that fits good.......

Just recalling when South Korea offered to help on the school system,........no no no we can do it ourself better....

Me better half called to ask about this an apparently you need to go to the main office in Bangkok and pay 1,900 baht for the extension as well as the usual paperwork nightmare Thailand is so good at.

Can any confirm this ? - it seems like my usual 2-entry 60 day standard tourist visa before I set off is still an easier and cheaper option.

Every evening in my area , it looks like the entire neighbourhood is getting drunk. Is that considered Thai way of living??

Going to Isaan , one also sees villagers getting drunk or swinging in the hammocks, is that considered Thai way of living?

Really , I am curious as how TAT defines Thai way of living which they want to promote

No this is the area where do you live. If you want to live in the area of your GF which in many cases are coming from the lowest places in the country you have to accept that many of your neighbors are alcohol addicted...
Why or why, there is always a troll who must make an ass out of himself making silly posts without knowing anything about other members.

For starters I do not have a gf. Clearly you are with rich , well educated , hi so Thai living in some fantasy world , because you must be goddess gift for her to disobey her rich hi so family and date an esteemed foreigner .

Secondly you do not have a clue where I live , so making silly assumptions only makes you look like a bigger ass.

PS. My apology for assuming you have actually spent more than a week per year in Thailand

Edited by konying

Jealous?

Aha...so I seem to have ticked off a christian - tut tut - that is a very common saying - I don't recognise "blasphemy" since it is a religious problem, and I am not religious.

The posts I was responding to were more of the same complaints that we get no matter which way things are done - if the government does something we don't like, the howls of complaint are loud and clear, and perhaps with good reason, although of course not always.

Yet, here we are with the government actually doing something that we should applaud, and the complainers now shake their heads in complaint because its not what they expected.

I admit in hindsight my reaction was rather hostile, and for that I apologise, but the basic reason still persists - for goodness sake, those who complain at everything the government does, no matter what, and whether it benefits them or not, must surely be able to see that they are not enjoying living in Thailand, so please exercise their right to go elsewhere.

If my being non-religious upsets you, I cant help that, nor do I see any reason to attempt to change. I am not offended by what I consider to be the often childish beliefs held by the peoples of various tribes around the world, but my lack of superstitious beliefs cannot be taken as a reason for others to take offense either.

• Like 1

Jealous?

Not jealous, rather envious . ;)

• Like 1

A most entertaining display of pearl-clutching.

As I said earlier - I don't usually respond in such a way, so my apologies for having done so, but my point stands re the ones who constantly complain about everything - good or bad.

And no, I have not disappeared - I have work to do, so I don't spend my days surfing TV.

If the post was removed as being "obscene", please share with me exactly which part was obscene, as I didn't use any four letter words so commonly sprinkled throughout the conversations on here and on other "social media".

Why or why, there is always a troll who must make an ass out of himself making silly posts without knowing anything about other members.

For starters I do not have a gf. Clearly you are with rich , well educated , hi so Thai living in some fantasy world , because you must be goddess gift for her to disobey her rich hi so family and date an esteemed foreigner .

Secondly you do not have a clue where I live , so making silly assumptions only makes you look like a bigger ass.

PS. My apology for assuming you have actually spent more than a week per year in Thailand

Don't you think it is trolling to judging the way of life of a full country just because of your neighborhood? Yes correct. I don't know where do you live. But you mentioned 'going to isaan' so I assumed you are living in Isaan. My GF is from a village in North Eastern and her neighborhood fully matches your description so I absolutely know what you are talking about. But this is not the thai way of life. This country has also many potential people who want to bring their country to higher levels. You won't see these people sitting at 12 P.M in their front yards drinking Thai whiskey. These people are working and you mostly see them on weekends. These people understand when I am talking about taxes and work permits. And "No" I don't talk about Hi-So Thai with BMW and Benz I am talking about people who are driving old Toyotas because the education of their children are more important then a fancy car, hand bag or gold necklaces.

Edited by SoFarAndNear
  • Like 1

Try moving to a different neighborhood. You obviously live in a not so good area. Same could be said about bad areas in other countries.

Don't you think it is trolling to judging the way of life of a full country just because of your neighborhood? Yes correct. I don't know where do you live. But you mentioned 'going to isaan' so I assumed you are living in Isaan. My GF is from a village in North Eastern and her neighborhood fully matches your description so I absolutely know what you are talking about. But this is not the thai way of life. This country has also many potential people who want to bring their country to higher levels. You won't see these people sitting at 12 P.M in their front yards drinking Thai whiskey. These people are working and you mostly see them on weekends. These people understand when I am talking about taxes and work permits. And "No" I don't talk about Hi-So Thai with BMW and Benz I am talking about people who are driving old Toyotas because the education of their children are more important then a fancy car, hand bag or gold necklaces.

You now confirm you do not know where i live.

You have a problem understanding "going to Isaan" which does not mean living, but you will continue to make an ass out of yourself?

So have you spend over a week in Thailand yet?blink.pngcoffee1.gif

Ponder this: Mexico has 6-month VOAs for first-world tourists, renewable indefinitely by cross-border runs. One year non-im. visas are easy to get and renew annually, no interim reporting or paid special re-entry visas necessary. Any resident (show a copy of a lease of a couple of bills) can get medical coverage under the national program for 800-2000 Baht a month (peso equivalence of course); no age limits, only pre-existing chronic conditions excluded (and world class medical care available because many doctors there trained in the US and Europe). So, tell me again why similar policies are "impossible" in unquestionably superior Thailand?

But Thailand has added cultural attractions and gimmicks for retirees and tourists that entice or lure them into the hurdles which are the Thai immigration service.

Try moving to a different neighborhood. You obviously live in a not so good area. Same could be said about bad areas in other countries.

You mean your neighborhood? is it on another planet?

I am pretty certain, you could not afford my neighborhood, there are no houses under 17mil, in my my bad neighborhoodthumbsup.gif .

You now confirm you do not know where i live.

You have a problem understanding "going to Isaan" which does not mean living, but you will continue to make an ass out of yourself?

So have you spend over a week in Thailand yet?blink.pngcoffee1.gif

Yes I was already here when Mr. T called himself PM.

I know your kind of neighborhood and I know very different kind neighborhoods.

To your comment of making an ass out of me. Reading what you are writing about your host country...I am not sure why do you choose that kind of neighborhood....

You mean your neighborhood? is it on another planet?

I am pretty certain, you could not afford my neighborhood, there are no houses under 17mil, in my my bad neighborhoodthumbsup.gif .

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The difference being that your neighbours probably actually own their properties and the land they live on.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Just copy Malaysia's rules, 3 months stay for free.

just wish they would do the same as Malaysia and give a 5yr residence permit for roughly the same amount in the bank account as for retirement visa and my Malaysian friends tell me I could apply for a passport after that as well. why don't they follow the normal international route of offering citizenship for contributing to the country?.

• Like 1

Shows you how naïve I am, I thought all the tourism problems were going to be solved by new tourists from Brunei, the 175th most populous country in the world.

Or the worlds 5th highest GDP per capita I suppose.

but it still looks poor except for the palaces etc, even the airport looks 3rd world. I will say though it is one of the safest countries in the world I've been to and the people amongst the nicest, sharia law is for natives and you see Malaysian women walking around in shorts and vests.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud

But apart from teenagers on a year out (not the quality tourist TAT wants I suspect) , those who have retired, or the rich. How many people can actually afford in terms of time and money to take a 2 month holiday? As far as I know most people who work have about 25 days annual holiday and i'd imagine that these folk (working people) are the mainstay of Thailand's tourist industry in terms of revenue. A 30 day or 60 day visa will make little difference if they are on a two week break?

Whilst it is a nice gesture from TAT, they seem to be targeting a very small group with this extension I doubt very sadly, that it will lead to the generation of significant revenue.

Many people. I was in Japan earlier this year. Got a 3 month visa on arrival and stayed 80 days. If a 1st world country like Japan gives me 90 days then why not Thailand. Am I missing something ?

• Like 1

Ponder this: Mexico has 6-month VOAs for first-world tourists, renewable indefinitely by cross-border runs. One year non-im. visas are easy to get and renew annually, no interim reporting or paid special re-entry visas necessary. Any resident (show a copy of a lease of a couple of bills) can get medical coverage under the national program for 800-2000 Baht a month (peso equivalence of course); no age limits, only pre-existing chronic conditions excluded (and world class medical care available because many doctors there trained in the US and Europe). So, tell me again why similar policies are "impossible" in unquestionably superior Thailand?

Because Thailand is slow ... one day they will wake up and realize what they are missing out on.

But what TAT said in its statement was just plane incorrect ... Tourist visas are already 60 days + 30 days extension at the local immigration office.

The so called whining is mostly about the fact TAT has no idea what the current visa period is.. so the TAT comments extension of time is ridiculous ...

OK then - fair comment.

I think I just reacted to what appeared to be a case of "damned if they do, damned if they don't", as I see it so often here in these pages.

Many of us who have been here a long time do support the present government as they at least seem to be trying to actually take some action on things that have been sticking points or contentious points for a long time.

Well, I guess we wait and see how it all turns out.