Drug Test on Koh Tao and Koh Pangan ? Is it usual ?

It's happening all over Thailand. You have no right to refuse but as they lawyer said you can request the test be performed at the Station.

However once you are in the Station very little chance of avoiding prosecution.

Reports from a friend (yes actually a friend I have never been to Patts or subjected to such testing), may not help or be relevant:

RTP in Pattaya were performing random roadside blood checks on f-rangs. They were looking for yabba usage which admittedly is a scourge (albeit allegedly rampant in Thai society). Positive tests for yabba resulted in 50,000 baht on-the-spot fine or arrest, positive tests for cannabis were let go. Most police in Thailand will not care about the latter if simple personal usage as there are bigger problems, but a place like Koh Tao which is known as a "hippy hangout" will probably attract police looking to make a buck. If you're dressed like a hippy or "rasta" as your name suggests I would take caution as it is likely you would be targeted by such police, it is illegal to have any scheduled compounds inside your system inside of Thailand and as noted fully legal to test urine or blood for this without probable cause.

I'm just curious about what they get or. Does anyone know? I take codeine prescribed by my doctor here in Thailand (Samitivej Hospital) for pain associated with my leg. Dothey check for opiates? If so, should I carry around the silly little bag from the hospital which has the doctors name and drug name on it? Or, are they simply checking for amphetamines or methamphetamines since these drugs seem to be the major problem here?

Reports from a friend (yes actually a friend I have never been to Patts or subjected to such testing), may not help or be relevant:

RTP in Pattaya were performing random roadside blood checks on f-rangs. They were looking for yabba usage which admittedly is a scourge (albeit allegedly rampant in Thai society). Positive tests for yabba resulted in 50,000 baht on-the-spot fine or arrest, positive tests for cannabis were let go. Most police in Thailand will not care about the latter if simple personal usage as there are bigger problems, but a place like Koh Tao which is known as a "hippy hangout" will probably attract police looking to make a buck. If you're dressed like a hippy or "rasta" as your name suggests I would take caution as it is likely you would be targeted by such police, it is illegal to have any scheduled compounds inside your system inside of Thailand and as noted fully legal to test urine or blood for this without probable cause.

Thank you, but there is no test at Pattaya outside bars and disco.

chonburi province has launched a massive house to house program, visiting all homes and rooms and interviewing resdients, anyone they consider may have possible used yabba is tested on the spot. program already started and Pong municiplaity was first on the list ( near maprachan lake). they have already tested hundreds just in our area and the used test kits were dumped in garbage bins for all to see. if your home passes the test.. you get a sticker to say your home is clean of drugs. this is/will happen in pattaya to as of next week

I meant to ask "... What do they test for, specifically?

They test mostly for Meth and XTC. I don't know how sophisticated their kits are but they don't seem too concerned with cocaine and heroin because they are way out of the price range of most Thais but along with grass they will get you a very hefty fine. Meth is automatic jail.

"Thank you, but there is no test at Pattaya outside bars and disco."

Yes well sorry for another post that doesn't answer your question but I think this sounds like a bad idea. Maybe 30 years ago Thailand was a good place to come for a drug-imbibing holiday but not any more, we don't have moral objection to this but it's not exactly a pure reason to travel, though maybe more interesting than the sex-tourists. Those islands would be prime targets for hippy-busters, plus profiling is completely legal here, so I would prescribe: if you want to do that return to your home country, or at least keep a low profile.

smileplur, on 28 Aug 2014 - 23:59, said:

I'm just curious about what they get or. Does anyone know? I take codeine prescribed by my doctor here in Thailand (Samitivej Hospital) for pain associated with my leg. Dothey check for opiates? If so, should I carry around the silly little bag from the hospital which has the doctors name and drug name on it? Or, are they simply checking for amphetamines or methamphetamines since these drugs seem to be the major problem here?

I would definitely carry a letter from your doctor, tests for opiates often throw up false positives, eg, Fact: even a small amount of poppy seed on a roll or cake can give a positive test.

In your dreams rastawomen! - you must have been smoking too much of that wacky-backi rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif ...there are plenty of drugs tests carried out in Pattaya bars and karaokes...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/437510-purple-pee-a-plenty-in-pattayas-karaoke-raid/

http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from-around-pattaya/drug-testing-at-night-club/

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/133338/south-pattaya-hip-hop-nightclub-raided-thais-and-foreigners-arrested/

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/68912/under-age-workers-drug-users-south-pattaya-karaoke-bar/

Edited by PoorSucker
Link to other forum removed

"Thank you, but there is no test at Pattaya outside bars and disco."

Yes well sorry for another post that doesn't answer your question but I think this sounds like a bad idea. Maybe 30 years ago Thailand was a good place to come for a drug-imbibing holiday but not any more, we don't have moral objection to this but it's not exactly a pure reason to travel, though maybe more interesting than the sex-tourists. Those islands would be prime targets for hippy-busters, plus profiling is completely legal here, so I would prescribe: if you want to do that return to your home country, or at least keep a low profile.

Who is "we", and why is drug-taking more interesting than sex-tourism?

Koh Tao a " Hippy hang out "

When was the last time you were actually there ? The vast majority of people that go there go for the diving. Hippies don't make for good divers. You may be confusing Tao with KPG where they hold the full moon parties and the majority of people who go there go to party.

Plenty of motorcycle checks on a regular basis but have never been tested or seen any testing in the years I have been here

Have lived on phangan and Samui for over 8 years and have never heard of drug testing I have been stopped twice once on Phangan and once on Samui the police were just stopping people at random and checking there pockets must be a new thing !

• Like 1

"Who is "we", and why is drug-taking more interesting than sex-tourism?"

Myself and the people who think like me: what you do with your body (or other people's bodies) is none of my business or anyone else's business (including the authorities), unless there is force or non-consensual activity involved. If you're a theist I would say it is in between you and your G*d, no mortal has the right to intervene in that. There may be a reasonable exception for things like yabba because it consistently leads to theft in my observation in 5 Asian countries, but that may be partly a result of its prohibited status.

"Koh Tao a " Hippy hang out "

When was the last time you were actually there ? The vast majority of people that go there go for the diving. Hippies don't make for good divers."

OK my bad I was just basing the judgement on the people I met on southern train. Didn't meet divers, met some travelling gypsies and the like who I would classify as "hippies". Nothing wrong with that as long as they're responsible. Now hipsters on the other hand...

They will need to start building more jails.

A 19 year old kid down the village has been locked up for 2.5 years plus another year because he couldn't afford the fine for possession of a small amount of yaba. He is banged up in a cell with 30 to 40 other guys,

If they can get this crap off the streets it will also, IMO, substantially reduce the amount of domestic and street violence.

• Like 2

I have been stopped nearly a dozen times over the years at road blocks, clearly profiling is an issue, because one look at me and I get waved by, often before I have come to a stop, no matter what I am driving. Even if there are several vehicles being stopped and searched at that point. This is on Samui and on visa runs towards Malaysia and Myanmar. Never once the hint of a blood test, even at 3 am. I guess I'm not even close to their target demographic.

Edited by animatic

"If they can get this crap off the streets it will also, IMO, substantially reduce the amount of domestic and street violence."

Seems unlikely. The demand is there (for someone reason it has a reputation of being socially acceptable and not an actual drug) and the supply chains from Myanmar to BK are there, with powerful people backing them. It is a scourge everywhere I have been in Asia, Japan all the way to Kuala Lumpur.

• Like 1

I have been stopped nearly a dozen times over the years at road blocks, clearly profiling is an issue, because one look at me and I get waved by, often before I have come to a stop, no matter what I am driving. Even if there are several vehicles being stopped and searched at that point. This is on Samui and on visa runs towards Malaysia and Myanmar. Never once the hint of a blood test, even at 3 am. I guess I'm not even close to their target demographic.

HA!! Me too!! Profiling works for me. I'm a 50 year old tall, short blond haired bodybuilder and weight 120 kg. I can be falling down wasted, stumbling, driving a bike or a car, it doesn't matter. The police just crowd around and say "Rambo" and "Arnold" and try to touch my arm or leg or chest. Then they usually ask me about my d*ck, then let me go, waving as I drive away. Buffoons does not begin to describe it!!! One time I had a plastic baggie full of pink pills (not illegal). They got all excited until I pointed out that there are few yabba addicts that weight 120 kg. They seemed rather disappointed, gave me the pills back and let me go!!

• Like 2

chonburi province has launched a massive house to house program, visiting all homes and rooms and interviewing resdients, anyone they consider may have possible used yabba is tested on the spot. program already started and Pong municiplaity was first on the list ( near maprachan lake). they have already tested hundreds just in our area and the used test kits were dumped in garbage bins for all to see. if your home passes the test.. you get a sticker to say your home is clean of drugs. this is/will happen in pattaya to as of next week

What do you mean test people at home ? No, it can only be in the street ?

And knowing how thoroughly they do their job I guess it's not difficult to go through...

It's easy! Stay away from drugs as they can give you a "nice" stay in a Thai prison... and Thai prisons are not nice!

The prisoners should have 60*180cm for sleeping area but as the the male students I teach in prison say its more like 30*150cm, shoulder to shoulder. For the female prisoners (same prison but separated within the walls) its a little better but still, they are 56 inmates sharing a 8*8 meter room and some even have their small children living with them! you can understand that it's over crowded as this provincial prison from the beginning was designed for a total of 1000 male prisoners and now they are 1500 male + 500 female prisoners!

If that's true, then maybe Thailand really is heading towards being more like North Korea.

• Like 2