ED visa extension update (definitive) from Chaengwattana immigration today

I went to immigration today for my 90 day extension on ED visa. Let me first clarify that this would have been my first extension of my second year of Thai school. I had already been to MOE, been tested, passed, and have documentation from them approving my second year of study.

My school told me they spoke with both MOE and Immigration this week and all should have been OK. They were wrong. These 2 divisions have virtually no communication between one another and could care less what the other one does or says.

As it was explained to me by 2 heads of immigration, the new law (regarding ED visas): you can stay for maximum of 1 year on any one ED visa, from start date on visa or date of entry (probably whichever came first) then you will be granted no further extensions on that visa. So even if you have been approved by MOE to continue study, you still must get a new letter of application from your school and leave the country to apply for a brand new ED visa. I guess essentially every year will be as though its your first year. Seems counter-intuitive to me, if they're really trying to keep track of who's studying and learning year after year. But common sense is a rarity here, as I keep being reminded of.

The kicker... the best they could do was offer me a 7 day extension. But it takes 2-4 weeks for the school to get the documentation for application for new visa. Thanks!!!!

I went from thinking I was getting 90 days at Chaengwattana, to now possibly having to leave Thailand 2 times to get a new ED visa.

My school is researching possible solutions right now. I'll wait for some more info before I start throwing people under the bus. In the meantime, I hope this info saves some of you the headache I experienced today. Best of luck!

Thanks for your report.

Unfortunately it seems to confirm what was posted earlier. We can only hope that immigration will realize that given the work load at the Ministry of Education it is almost impossible for people to get the paperwork in time and hopefully they will allow a 1 time extension of 3 months for old cases as a transition period.

Thanks for your report.

Unfortunately it seems to confirm what was posted earlier. We can only hope that immigration will realize that given the work load at the Ministry of Education it is almost impossible for people to get the paperwork in time and hopefully they will allow a 1 time extension of 3 months for old cases as a transition period.

I tried to explain this to them, about the impossible timeline, and asked even for 15 days, and I got the deer in headlights look.

Don't you have time left on your current extension or did you wait for the last day to do it?

You can do your extension up to 45 days early at CW.

I was given 30 days last month at immigration based on the time left from my last visa/school schedule. 2-3 weeks of that 30 days was spent waiting for this wonderful document from MOE that is now bathroom wiping material. I went today, which leaves me with 4 days to find a solution, because I knew this was possible, if not probable.

Will see what my school can do, and if nothing now, I'll have to leave and get 30 days when I return to allow me time for better solution.

On that note, is Poipet border run a viable option? Or should I definitely fly? I'm only considering the bus because this is getting very expensive very quickly.

You would only get a 15 day entry at the border unless you are from a G7 country or from one that has a bilateral agreement.

You should have no problem getting a visa exempt entry at a border crossing since you have had no recent ones.

If the 15 or 30 day entry is not enough time you can now get a 30 day extension of it.

You would only get a 15 day entry at the border unless you are from a G7 country or from one that has a bilateral agreement.

You should have no problem getting a visa exempt entry at a border crossing since you have had no recent ones.

If the 15 or 30 day entry is not enough time you can now get a 30 day extension of it.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I'm from USA, can you clarify? As far as I know we get 30 day visa exempt at airport arrival. Do you know if its also 30 days at land border crossing from Cambodia? 30 days should be enough for me to find new solution.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I'm from USA, can you clarify? As far as I know we get 30 day visa exempt at airport arrival. Do you know if its also 30 days at land border crossing from Cambodia? 30 days should be enough for me to find new solution.

You will get a 30 day entry at a border crossing since the US is a G7 country (new rule Nov. 2013).

• Like 1

I have just had my MOE test to extend studying for another year and have paid for a another years course, my next 90 day and end of my current year is Oct 14th so I did all this very early as advised by my school as they said the paperwork would take some time, so whats going to happen for me on Oct 14th and what should I do?

I have just had my MOE test to extend studying for another year and have paid for a another years course, my next 90 day and end of my current year is Oct 14th so I did all this very early as advised by my school as they said the paperwork would take some time, so whats going to happen for me on Oct 14th and what should I do?

There is nothing you can do but wait.

In theory, since by regulation your next extension should be denied, you should get instead the paperwork for applying for a new ED visa before Oct. 14th.

Given the evident confusion in which the schools are I'm not sure if they would agree that is the best way, try asking them.

• Like 1

There is nothing you can do but wait.

In theory, since by regulation your next extension should be denied, you should get instead the paperwork for applying for a new ED visa before Oct. 14th.

Given the evident confusion in which the schools are I'm not sure if they would agree that is the best way, try asking them.

davejonesbkk, based on my experience today, have your school apply for the paperwork for a new ED visa and plan to go get a new ED at a Thai embassy outside of Thailand. Feel free to wait a couple weeks and try getting another answer, but I wouldn't wait longer than that.

• Like 1

yeah I will talk to them about that asap.

I was planning on going back to the UK for a family visit on October 20th which is 6 days after my current extension expires, is it possible to get 7 days extended anyway so I can then get my ED visa while back in the UK?

Umhhhh !!!

Thailand is a strange country some times.

I good Thai friend of mine is a teacher at a language school.
He told me a week ago or so, That the school he work for, and therefor all the teacher working there, was inform by the Immigration (pattaya)

That all student apply for Extension, that be in Thailand on ED more then 1 year, have to leave and reapply for a ED-Visa, as they not going to give them out for student that study for more then 1 year all ready. If they not apply before new rule August 2014.

A Fa-Rang friend to me (yea i have friends, get over it) that study in Nonthaburi told me all so a week ago, that hes school have giving him paper saying the same thing.

But he didn't know if the school find out them self, or Nonthaburi Immigration have inform them about it.

Only a information for people out there.

I don´t think it is so bad, is it ?

A student have to go out side Thailand once a year to reapply for a "start ED-Visa" and the apply for Extension inside Thailand 3 time pr year.(so student get 4 X 90 days total)

The problem some school / student "might" have is the school sold one year teaching and all the paper work for Extension in a packed.

Now if the student have doing ED for more then a year, then the student have to leave Thailand for a 90 days ED Visa, that can be use for up to one year.

So i can see some problem between school and student, school might want more money to do the "extras" paper work.

The student might not want to pay more, want if he/she have to leave Thailand to reapply have a year from that date when coming back, and so on.

Edited by JJ Madcow

It seems to be on a case by case scenario: Example, Chaeng Wattanna, last week, my friend got his 4th year extension no question asked

He had his little half Thai adorable 2 years old daughter, with him.

He was there to get 10 days because MOE was late sending the approval letter.

He purposely stood, right at the front in sight of the offices with his daughter fidgeting in his arms.

Not 5 minutes later, an officer came to ask what number he had. He just arrived so he had around 20 people before him. The officer offered him to jump the queue and my friend was promptly stamped 3 MONTHS WITHOUT PROPER PAPERS (he still had not received the MOE letter)

So get a Thai toddler when going to immigration thumbsup.gif

PS it does work at MOE too where he only had to answer 2 simple questions while others were quizzed much longer.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

It seems to be on a case by case scenario: Example, Chaeng Wattanna, last week, my friend got his 4th year extension no question asked

He purposely stood, right at the front in sight of the offices with his daughter fidgeting in his arms.

Not 5 minutes later, an officer came to ask what number he had. He just arrived so he had around 20 people before him. The officer offered him to jump the queue and my friend was promptly stamped 3 MONTHS WITHOUT PROPER PAPERS (he still had not received the MOE letter)

PS it does work at MOE too where he only had to answer 2 simple questions while others were quizzed much longer.

I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but I can assure you that the same scenario happening on August 29th or later would have gone down much differently

Similar situation to you OP, third year of study and this is going to be my first extension, haven't left Thailand in 3 years, study, learn, can speak fine but my reading and writing needs a lot of practice. I already know I am going to have to leave and I may leave for good, I am not sure yet, this country has no idea what it is doing, there are more holes in the system than Swiss cheese and like you said, there is little communication between the authorities.

My question is this, what kind of test did the MOE give you? My extension needs to be addressed by October 30th but I plan to go there in the first week of October to give myself some time to get my head around what I will need to do and what I want to do, but also I don't want to go too early as the dust has not settled yet and everything is a giant mess still with regards to immigration

My question is this, what kind of test did the MOE give you?

The MOE test is a joke.

My school told me that "everyone passes".

Studying Japanese I had to "pretend" to study Thai so that the officer does not lose face (since she has zero Japanese), and guess what? I passed !

My Thai was obviously crap and not at all justifying 3 years of studies since I study japanese, but they just need to be rude to and asked me when I was returning to my home country.

Thai bureaucracy at its worse.

I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but I can assure you that the same scenario happening on August 29th or later would have gone down much differently

I don't think so, and it's easy to check: My friend will be doing the same extension in 3 months time.

I am pretty sure it will be as smooth as now...

Let's take talk again in 3 months shall we ?

I heard that they are targeting every foreigners except the ones married or with children, I thought it was just a rumor but I can't help noticing the huge difference of treatment my friend gets every time, since we are in the same situation except that I don't have a Thai baby.

By the way I had to leave the country last month for visa run and last week to reapply again for a new ED after 3 years, (we started the course at the same date) he did not.

Edited by Kitsune

So this rule is only to give the IO the possibility to catch the people that is study or not but only asuming is Thai languague, this is no going to work for a long time, just simple studing another language or a complete different thing will be a workaround, they need to leave the tests to the MOE, why they can't work together? maybe military is not only taking control of the politics and economics maybe they want to be the new teachers as well facepalm.gif

Good report, I hope you can get a tourist visa without issues while waiting for your new ED

hahah my lovely niece (4 years) will start to have nice short vacations, actually she is practice/teaching me that vocabulary thai song wub.png