The great reclining seat debate ... meal service

David48

The great reclining seat debate ...  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always ask the flight attendant to ask the person in front to raise their seat at meal time.

Yes I would love to fly business class but sadly can't afford it. (Often 3 x cattle price).

So if the choice is fly business and be comfortable, not going at all or being cramped but able to go, then I'll put up with being cramped for a few hours.

I generally find onboard meals to be very good. (mostly, but not exclusively, fly with Etihad).

I can never understand why people pay for very expensive airport food when you will get a nice meal free on the plane.

Edited by Lancashirelad

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its common courtesy and Ive never flown on an airline that didnt require it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

because you never flew business or first.
How would one know the flying history of another?

if somebody claims that he never flew without the airline requiring "seat up" during meal times it is clear that he always flew economy. no such thing when flying business or first.

• Like 1

I would out of coutesy if asked, but I usually sit in aisle seat, back of the aircraft, usually there is spare seats around but not always.

S.S.

My company used to give me funds for business class on long haul but I used them for 2 economy for my fiance and myself. We flew mostly 747 so picked 59A and B which were at the back and there was no C. Often we would see many seats open as the door closed so were allowed to get up and change to a vacant area, even able to raise arms and sleep.

Our current flights are usually 25-27 hours with two 3 hour stops so we accumulate miles and add to them with our favorite airline credit card which we use for as many purchases as possible (we pay off the card in total every month and have done so since 1997). We then purchase economy and upgrade nearly all the time to business class.

Budget airline seating is a problem for tall and large folks....but for shorter flights is ok.

Its common courtesy and Ive never flown on an airline that didnt require it.

if somebody claims that he never flew without the airline requiring "seat up" during meal times it is clear that he always flew economy. no such thing when flying business or first.

Condescending and idiotic statement there bud. I flew both. Business and first no need big seats, economy always put your chairs up. And anyways it common courtesy. Do you have it? Seems not with your statement.

• Like 1

This has not gotten to a point where the leg room on planes is really becoming an issue where I see governments will eventually intervene . There are now issues that are endangering passengers. Leg room issues will eventually affect airlines. They have reached their limit as to how much passengers can endure.

If they do not get it under control then there will be legislation with regard to it This I am sure of

Condescending and idiotic statement there bud. I flew both. Business and first no need big seats, economy always put your chairs up. And anyways it common courtesy. Do you have it? Seems not with your statement.

"economy always put your chairs up"

Well ... not always.

Just looking at the Poll above, half do require this ... half don't.

That said, there are a few more that do require the seat up then don't.

Not everyone's (flying) mileage is the same.

yes dear Sir, everybody realises that your statement is irrelevant and idiotic coffee1.gif

My request to the flight attendants to ask the person in front of me to raise their seats during meal services has always been effective. I have very long legs, and often just position my knees so the seat in front cannot recline fully. This prevents a sudden blow to my knees when the person does recline their seat. After a few fruitless attempts to push it back further, they usually give up the attempt. Still, I wouldn't use knee defenders, as it is not my airplane. Lately, in the maneuverings to secure armrest space, I will sometimes take the flight magazine and position it on my side of the arm rest sticking up. This gets me some dirty looks, but nobody has yet claimed a right to put their elbow past the actual (entire) arm rest into my seat space. My usual seat choice is a window seat, and I move over into the curved side of the cabin wall and let the person in the middle use the arm rest. While many people prefer the aisle seat, if you have long legs and arms, you will often overlap the seat into the aisle. Getting clipped by the passing food cart is really painful!

Also, while not perfect, the kind of seat where the bottom slides forward instead of the seat back reclining takes away the me against them aspects of these situations. Your action doesn't affect the other person. It really makes no difference in the people next to you getting past into the aisle, they can't do that without you standing anyway.

I may be peoples right, as some mention, to recline their seat even when those behind are eating, but then again, it the person behind also has the right to utilize his space as he sees fit, and therefore accidentially bumb continuously into the seat in front till he gets the point or put his feet on the back of the seat in front and do a bit of stretching excercise.

wgdanson, on 31 Aug 2014 - 09:33, said:

Surely it cannot be beyond modern technology for the seats to be locked upright from the cockpit, until at cruising height, and for the pilot to put them upright when required, ie turbulence or meal times.

Not a lot of thought from you, think of the extra weight, wiring, motors, to wind the seat up, sensors to monitor the seat position etc.... Simple fix.. 1) no reclining seats (this one is gaining in popularity, due to the selfishness of those who believe they have a "right" to invade others space)...2) only allow ½ the current movement.

Both EVA and Philippines Air always ask passengers to put their seats up when meals are served. Common courtesy dictates that you leave it up at least until the meal trays are picked up. But, who eats airline food anyway.

i actually think eva air's food is pretty good

Korean Air always asks for the seats to be up during meal service. They also offer 10 different meals before flight day, and some are excellent. Try the seafood!

wgdanson, on 31 Aug 2014 - 09:33, said:

Surely it cannot be beyond modern technology for the seats to be locked upright from the cockpit, until at cruising height, and for the pilot to put them upright when required, ie turbulence or meal times.

Not a lot of thought from you, think of the extra weight, wiring, motors, to wind the seat up, sensors to monitor the seat position etc.... Simple fix.. 1) no reclining seats (this one is gaining in popularity, due to the selfishness of those who believe they have a "right" to invade others space)...2) only allow ½ the current movement.

I must admit, from an engineering POV, I did think similar things to what you mentioned above.

Extra weight and certainly extra cost because the seats will cost the airline more.

Plus, the potential for a crushed/pressed to the point of discomfort of a digit/limb for the deeply sleeping or drunk passenger whose chair is moved without their knowledge.

Once I was on a Luthansa flight Bangkok/Munich and had the misfortune to have 6 footer Spaniard behind me. I couldn't recline my seat at all. The steward gave me a bottle of the best of Champagne to thank me for not making a fuss. I did a flight, Singapore/Brisbane and a Sydney/ London with Qantas and seats were put up for meals.

I have travelled by either KLM or Air France - Paris/Amsterdam/Bankok and return. Always asked to put up seat at meal times. I bought my ticket to CM about a month ago. On the Paris/Bangkok/Paris runs I have paid extra to have special seats (in economy). On AF and KLM one can now have a choice of menu (paying), to be arranged at the time of booking. I wanted this service, but it didn't go with the 'special' seats. I don't know what the criteria is, but it seems to go with certain rows only.

Sometimes the food on AF is excellent, but not always. It depends on the caterer.

• Like 1

Manners, no one has them, and if they do they don't know how to use them. It's like living in Asia, everyone has there fingers in there nose all the time, it is so gross, a real turn off to see a pretty women with her fingers in her nose and picking on her face.

Manners, no one has them, and if they do they don't know how to use them. It's like living in Asia, everyone has there fingers in there nose all the time, it is so gross, a real turn off to see a pretty women with her fingers in her nose and picking on her face.

I find it more of a problem watching the screen on the seat back in front of me if it's reclined than eating meals - but then I'm not a tall person.. But if I do want to watch something, I do have to recline my seat as well.

And on many occasions, the guy behind you who keeps "pushing your seat forward" might just be using the touch screen control a little heavy handedly... IMO touch screens should be removed and simply use the handset controls..

I agree that more airlines should offer a few slightly longer/wider seat-pitch rows to cater for our taller/wider cousins - at a premium of course, eg. as EVA with their Premium Economy class, and also perhaps to allow upgrades at a discount at check-in, if space permits.

Both EVA and Philippines Air always ask passengers to put their seats up when meals are served. Common courtesy dictates that you leave it up at least until the meal trays are picked up. But, who eats airline food anyway.

i actually think eva air's food is pretty good

Agreed, unless you are a westerner and in a haze of non-thinking opt when asked, for the "Chinese breakfast". Congee gruel, other unidentifiable weird tasting items. They wake you up and hit you with the question while you're still zoned out. You might be thinking you would be getting spring rolls or "subgum chow mein" (both non-Chinese, but what does an American know?), but Noooo. Chinese lap it up like it's good, which to them, it is. Live and learn.

As to the OP, I can't remember ever being on a flight in which we were not requested to raise our seats to the upright position. Most people don't have to be asked.

Most people I know can afford business class but choose not to pay the money. I know someone that recently flew business class UK to BKK for £1200 - I think it was China Southern or some such company.

So there's a question - economy £600 or business class £1200 - would you pay the £600 extra?

Or do you just enjoy moaning about economy even though you could have paid your way out of it?

Most people I know can afford business class but choose not to pay the money. I know someone that recently flew business class UK to BKK for £1200 - I think it was China Southern or some such company.

So there's a question - economy £600 or business class £1200 - would you pay the £600 extra?

Or do you just enjoy moaning about economy even though you could have paid your way out of it?

Can you fit in an economy seat?

Regarding airline food, if I have to suffer economy due to a shorter flight that doesn't have a business option then I'll eat in the airport and reject the offerings on flight. When I was a young whipper snapper flying to BKK out of heathrow id always stock up on a slap up meal of oysters and smoked salmon in the fish bar to kick start the holiday, still haven't quite made it to chowing down on their caviar yet and probably never will, as since working abroad as an emirates and BA gold member, in the unlikely event I'll be flying economy I'll eat and drink in the business/first lounge on any flight I take. Emirates economy food isn't bad, they do a decent enough biriyani and their cup of tea is the best in the business. Other airlines, I wouldn't feed to a dog.

Actually in some configurations in Business class , if you do have a middle seat/flat bed, if the Aisle Seat , is in the flat bed position, you actually have to step over someone, which , is quite difficult in a long haul flight at 3am, I have often nearly tripped and fell on the passenger.. Which would be not nice to say the least...

All the same, flying Coach fortunately is not an option for me, short flights yes,no problem, but long flights, I think the extra money is well worth it...

Just my two cents worth......

Correct. This is an issue actually on the emirates flights into Manila and Jakarta. As I always either pay business or get upgraded for free into this class I try to get a window seat, as the configuration is 2-3-2.. I'll not piss during the flight as I'll be asleep as they're usually night flights, but if I was isle and the gent next to me did, he'd have to climb over my legs! I always felt sorry for the poor *ucket who's paid business class and ended up in the centre of the 3 tier bit.. Completely trapped.

Delta, Virgin, BA and emirates. Etihad (A380) have got it sussed in business, superb flight.

Regarding lifting the seat up during meals on other business flights; I've only experienced it in short / mid haul business flights on national carriers, such as kazak, Azerbaijani and Uzbek air. In the 2-2 configuration big armchair leather seats. But if they were not out up straight then it would still be easy to eat from IMO