Lenovo notebook

I have an oldish (2006) little Lenovo notebook that I'd like to update with Windows 7 or 8 OS, it has XP now. I just want to use MS Office mainly and of course internet. Where can I do this cheaply in Bangkok?

Edited by 715

(Intel Atom with only 1GB RAM?).

Is that bad? :-)

I don't need to write code, just use Word and be able to Google a bit.

The frugal part of me hates to toss s__t away if I can still find a use for it.

Nonetheless, I'll check out the prices of the next new thing I'll recycle in a few years.

Thank you for your replies.

Edited by 715

An Intel Atom from 5 years ago was pretty ordinary even back then. If you're going to upgrade to Win7 then you should also increase your RAM. Win7 with only 1GB RAM and an old Intel Atom doesn't make for much of a user experience. Looks like that model might max out at 2Gb. Many budget laptops today come with 4GB as standard. I'm good with frugal but it doesn't hurt to take a look at what's out there. If you don't want to buy a new laptop then keep going with what you have rather than upgrading.

Edited by kkerry

I have a 8 year old/2006 Toshiba laptop running an old ass Celeron 1.6GHz single core CPU....it only has 2GB of RAM and can only actually use 1.5GB of that. I upgraded it from XP to Win 7 and it handles browsing and MS Office products just fine...a little slow but quite usable. And for a few weeks I had a Seagate 480GB SSD in it and boy did that give it a very good performance boost especially in bootup time and just overall performance.

Since the laptop only had 1.5GB of RAM it had to rely on a paging file/virtual memory quite a bit...with that paging file now on a fast SSD it really help the performance of the computer. I later moved that SSD to another Toshiba laptop I have and put a 7200RPM drive back in my Celeron based 'puter.

This cpuboss.com link compares your 1.6Ghz CPU with my 1.6GHz CPU. As you can see my CPU betters yours somewhat, but not really a lot. If you can put Win 7 on your machine cheaply it would probably be worth it since you are using the computer for some pretty basic stuff. Good luck.