Rawai Music Police Back Again?

GiantFan

"Is this amount correct?"

If she is paying directly to the officers, this "amount" is a bribe. But it also sounds to me like they are imposers. Or possibly real but off the reservation fund raising on their own. That is very popular with the Thai police. Calling Chalong police will probably just result in them wanting a cut thus the price goes up.

Amazing that Thais that "own" a business here seem to be clueless to the laws. My wife got a phone call this morning from a friend that rents out motorbikes. She asked what she should do? A customer had an accident! Her response was get a quote from a repair shop for the damage and bill them. Then she said to me, stupid people have a business and don't know the law… Know the law, before you pay the posers… And have your paperwork in order.

Amazing that Thais that "own" a business here seem to be clueless to the laws. My wife got a phone call this morning from a friend that rents out motorbikes. She asked what she should do? A customer had an accident! Her response was get a quote from a repair shop for the damage and bill them. Then she said to me, stupid people have a business and don't know the law… Know the law, before you pay the posers… And have your paperwork in order.

"stupid people have a business and don't know the law" - there's a lesson in her words for all farang. biggrin.png

There are NO Music Police.

There are no Software Police

There is a requirement to produce a warrant if they want to look at the music or come behind the bar. (unless you invite them to)

The warrant must be signed by a proper court and served by at one Police officer with a Star on his shoulder.

If people would learn the law and their rights. We do not live in a police state, but as an any society you need to know the rules and your rights. The biggest deterrent is a cheap video camera and your hand phone, take photos of everyone and their vehicles also. talk loud so customers will note the discussion.

Report any insistent to the, NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order)

web site http://www.1111.go.th/

email - [email protected]

Face book - Facebook

hot line 1111

Don't give them any money, best to tell them to take you to the Main police station, Not a police box.

There are NO music or software police roaming the streets of Thailand.

There are laws on this and your rights, learn them. Instruct your staff.

Staff do not talk to these people, they need to call you, the manager or owner.

Stand your ground call the police, take photos, don't become a victim.

If enough people stand up to these crooks and scrammers they will go else where,

Get involved help your neighbor, take photos, call the police.

Know the Law and Your rights.

And be legal.
  • Like 2

Tell here to contact ..

NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order)

Face book - Facebook

hot line 1111

What is the FB link? This one is incomplete. (If you copy text from TV you need to hit "quote" first, then toggle the BBCode switch or you may lose the middle part of the link if it's too long and TV software shortens it.)

Edited by LivinginKata

Tell here to contact ..

NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order)

Face book - Facebook

hot line 1111

What is the FB link? This one is incomplete. (If you copy text from TV you need to hit "quote" first, then toggle the BBCode switch or you may lose the middle part of the link if it's too long and TV software shortens it.)

Corrected in original post https://www.facebook.com/phuket.anticorruption

• Like 1

The bottom line is it is illegal to play copyrighted music in a public place in Thailand, and there is a legitimate organisation (MPC; (www.mpcmusic.co.th. Tel 02 641 52113) through which a permit can be purchased for foreign music. If you can afford it (5000B a year in most cases) it might be worth getting to stay legal. The system allows for negotiations and is open to abuse and is often used by extortionists posing as MPC officials or police. Even MPC representatives have been known to work with local police officers and extort money, splitting it 50-50 with the officer.

There are several organisations collecting royalties for Thai music, so that's easy, don't play Thai music.

www.thebigchilli.com/features/breaking-the-law

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=1526

http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=211

7274608.jpg

I'll speak to some police officials in Phuket about this and post the response.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

I noticed something interesting today in the gazette.

" Among its assets are several hotels, including the Patong Bay Residence; Patong Bay Resotel; and the Patong Bay Garden Resort, as well as Baan Kamnan and La Casa restaurants; Pisona Tour; car rental agency K Pisona Company; Pisona Insurance Broker Company and Pisona Publishing Company, which acquires music usage license rights for bars, restaurants and other entertainment businesses"

I didn't realise they were connected to music license inspectors/collectors.

• Like 1

The bottom line is it is illegal to play copyrighted music in a public place in Thailand, and there is a legitimate organisation (MPC; (www.mpcmusic.co.th. Tel 02 641 52113) through which a permit can be purchased for foreign music. If you can afford it (5000B a year in most cases) it might be worth getting to stay legal. The system allows for negotiations and is open to abuse and is often used by extortionists posing as MPC officials or police. Even MPC representatives have been known to work with local police officers and extort money, splitting it 50-50 with the officer.

There are several organisations collecting royalties for Thai music, so that's easy, don't play Thai music.

7274608.jpg

Confirmed. The amount you pay each year depends on the number of tables, I am paying 3745 Baht per year. It is easy to arrange yourself, by e-mail and bank transfer. It gives you the right to play practically all Farang music, but no Thai music.

• Like 1

I noticed something interesting today in the gazette.

" Among its assets are several hotels, including the Patong Bay Residence; Patong Bay Resotel; and the Patong Bay Garden Resort, as well as Baan Kamnan and La Casa restaurants; Pisona Tour; car rental agency K Pisona Company; Pisona Insurance Broker Company and Pisona Publishing Company, which acquires music usage license rights for bars, restaurants and other entertainment businesses"

I didn't realise they were connected to music license inspectors/collectors.

Why am I not surprised the Kesins are involved. "We have donet nothing wrong." He says today. Yeah, and elephants are about to fly out of my butt. This guy is a mini Thaksin.

• 2 weeks later...

7274608.jpg

Confirmed. The amount you pay each year depends on the number of tables, I am paying 3745 Baht per year. It is easy to arrange yourself, by e-mail and bank transfer. It gives you the right to play practically all Farang music, but no Thai music.

Update. Their tariffs went up, I have to pay 5350 Baht including VAT now. When I called them, they told me that's what they charge old customers, people opening a bar with max 30 seats or a restaurant with max 60 seats now will have to pay 10,700 Baht VAT included.

From their website:

Karaoke

A. For 1-10th Monitor

B. For 11th monitor and subsequently

5,000 Baht/Monitor/Year

2,500 Baht/Monitor/Year

P02

Restaurant / Chain Restaurant

Size A 201 seats up

Size B 101-200 seats

Size C 61-100 seats

Size D 1-60 seats

35,000 Baht/Year

25,000 Baht/Year

15,000 Baht/Year

10,000 Baht/Year

P03

Bar/Pub/Lounge / Discothèque

Size A 101 seats up

B 61-100 seats

C 31-60 seats

D 1-30 seats

35,000 Baht/Year

25,000 Baht/Year

15,000 Baht/Year

10,000 Baht/Year

P04

Beer Park

50 Baht/Seats/Month

P05

Hotel / Hospital (Minimum charge 30,000 Baht/ Year)

A - Room rate 5,000 – 5,999 Baht and over

B - Room rate 4,000 – 4,999 Baht

C - Room rate 3,000 – 3,999 Baht

D - Room rate 2,000 – 2,999 Baht

E - Room rate 2,000 Baht

1,000 Baht/Room/Year

800 Baht/Room/Year

600 Baht/Room/Year

600 Baht/Room/Year

400 Baht/Room/Year

P06

Department Store/Shopping Center/Supermarket

(Minimum charge 10,000 Baht/ Year)

20 Baht/Square Meter/Year

P07

(Minimum charge 5,000 Baht/ Year)

P08

Bowling

800 Baht/Lane/Year

P09

Skating Rink / Ice Skating Rink / Racing Circuit

10,000 Baht/Outlet/Year

P010

Cinema(Theatrical Music)

50,000 Baht/Teather/Year or

1% of gross box office

P11

Cinema (Background Music)

5,000Baht/Teather/Year

P12

Dance - Music School/Studio

12,000 Baht/Outlet/Year

P13

Fitness Center/Spa

(Minimum charge 10,000 Baht/Year)

40 Baht/Square Meter/Year

P14

Office/ lobby/ swimming pool/ Beauty - Hair Salon

(Minimum charge 5,000 Baht/Year)

P15

Telephone (Music on hold)

Over 60 lines

21 to 60 lines

1 to 20 lines

40,000 Baht/Switchboard/Year

20,000 Baht/Switchboard/Year

10,000 Baht/Switchboard/Year

P16

Single Event/ Fashion Show/ Party/ Exhibition Hall

Size up to 10,000 sqm. and over

Size 5,001-10,000 sqm.

Size 2,001-5,000 sqm.

Size 501-2,000 sqm.

Size 300-500 sqm.

Not over 300 sqm.

100,000 Baht/Day

80,000 Baht/Day

50,000 Baht/Day

25,000 Baht/Day

8,000 Baht/Day

5,000 Baht/Day

P17

Jukebox / Games Console

5,000 Baht/Monitor/Year

P18

Monitor Ad. / TV Wall

5,000 Baht/Monitor/Year

P19

Golf Driving Range/ Snooker or Pool Club

5,000 Baht/Outlet/Year

P20

Public Vehicle (Bus, Coach, Ship, River Cruise)

5,000 Baht/ Vehicle/ Year