TrueVisions adds more HD channels to cheaper packages

webfact

TrueVisions adds more HD channels to cheaper packages

BANGKOK: -- TO COPE with intense competition in the pay-TV market after the merger of CTH and GMM Pay TV in June, TrueVisions - the industry's largest player - has added more high-definition (HD) channels to its mid-to-low-tier packages.

The move is expected to attract 300,000 new subscribers in the remaining months of this year, of whom 80 per cent will come from the satellite-TV base and the rest from cable TV.

Manat Manavutiveth, head of commercial and business development for broadband service at True Online and TrueVisions, said Monday that by the end of last year, TrueVisions' premium customers could already watch 66 HD channels on top of standard-definition channels.

Now, for non-premium customers, the True Knowledge package will have 14 HD channels, Super Knowledge 27 HD channels, Super Sport 22 HD channels and Super Family 40 HD channels.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/TrueVisions-adds-more-HD-channels-to-cheaper-packa-30242263.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-01

For what it is worth, I took a leap of faith last year and subscribed for the 3-year package with CTH - about 23,000 baht for the 3 year period - 590 baht/month. I did this because I wanted the 6 dedicated HD channels covering the Barclays Premier League and the Fox Sports cover of F1 and MOTOGP. Now CTH has excellent cover of most sports, the only noticeable exception is International and 6 Nations Rugby Union. Fox Sports have recently revamped their package and there are now 3 dedicated HD channels; Fox Sports, Fox Sports 2 and Fox Sports 3. They have a number of excellent entertainment channels too, including Fox Premium Films HD and Fox Crime HD and 3 HD National Geographic channels. I get some interuptions to the satellite signal but it is minor. Unfortunately, I am outside the footprint for the cable service. Without a shadow of a doubt, it was the best money I have spent in a long time. And nothing more to pay until the summer of 2016.

Previously, I was a Platinum subscriber to True Visions for over 8 years and I was paying in excess of 2,300 baht/month. In comparison to what is on offer from CTH, True Visions is very expensive for what is a mediocre choice of programmes . From what I can see the programmes they offer today are no better than they were a year ago and they charge more too. You pays your money and you make your own choice.

• Like 1

I actually just got True wired into the house to replace my TOT internet.

I only wanted Internet, but the Promotion offered, including TV, was cheaper than Internet only!

The TV package I think is called 'Enjoy', but there is only a single channel in English, to get English language channels you have to get up to Gold or Platinum which are substantially more expensive....falang pays more!

The Mrs sometimes watches it if the Sophon is a bit fuzzy.... much clearer picture for the standard Thai channels. It is of no use to me, even BBC News is regarded as Premium.

Edited by jacko45k

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As a Premium member of several years I welcome all new members and will pass on some info that True will not give you - when it's heavy rain wave goodbye to your signal.

It's because you're on the satellite-based system. Not easy to get hard wire service, save many parts of BKK, but if you can, "rain fade" it away with that service.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As a Premium member of several years I welcome all new members and will pass on some info that True will not give you - when it's heavy rain wave goodbye to your signal.

It's because you're on the satellite-based system. Not easy to get hard wire service, save many parts of BKK, but if you can, "rain fade" it away with that service.

I am going to move condos in the next couple of months. I want to ditch true, but the new condo I am thinking of renting in has only true. I don't know if its satellite or cable, the girl showing me the place didn't seem to know there is a difference. But she said the internet it TOT, so I think that definitively means true is satellite.

Anyway, what are the alternatives to true? This is the first I've heard of CTH. I know TOT has television too, but last year when going through this, it was really hard to find out what channels were in each package. So I went with true and have been completely disappointed ever since. I know there are boxes out there and services to subscribe to so I can get television through my internet connection. But I am not sure if the internet connection will be strong enough to use on wifi (in my current condo, it is so poorly designed and without getting into all the details, the cable in is in the kitchen and far away from where the TV is. Hopefully I can avoid this in the new place) or exactly what boxes and services there are to choose from.

What pisses me off is that I have True's "Platinum Package" and there are still channels I cannot receive. What is the use of paying for the top package when they still exclude channels. Special events such as a popular sporting event I can understand as a pay per view situation but some random BBC channel for example?

its "a la carte" idiocy!

Now if True could just figure out how to properly handle an HD source inside of an SD channel. This does not mean squeezing the HD source horizontally until it fits.

You may be able to adjust the settings through your tv set. There are usually three or four you can scroll through, some will zoom in and fill the screen , but you'll lose part of the picture, and others will zoom all the way out to get the entire shot, but there will be a lot of black above and below.

Did they bother to add in the number of canceled subscribers?

I and friends (Thai) used to watch that rubbish WWE wrestling, but true never either paid them at the start of the year-contract, or moved it to PLAT.

Same on my package True/on line, no Premier football -even day after, Fox sports they put up to Gold, I noticed many have just jumped up a notch the fee for Gold and Plat is outrageous, My idea is pay a big fee and no adverts, True rake it in THEY HAVE BOTH. BUT the biggest Sh#T story is when heavy rain etc, the bleeding service is cut. Most of the time they have the scrolled info on screen running continuously along the bottom of the picture.

I use PSI tv most of the time 3 channels news English, movies, I have 2 of these PSI dishes, free TV. selection as good as True, news even better. NO interuptions in bad weather either.

The only reason I have True is TV and Internet are a package I wanted to upgrade within the package to gold but they said I cannot, if I wanted gold I would have to have 2 accounts one for gold True Visions and another for internet on line.

True Visions are a different section to True on Line this is the reason. But a click of a switch and I could receive gold and Plat, as they are there to be had but blocked. One day they made and error and I was receiving gold and Plat until their tech realized the mistake and they pulled the plug.cheesy.gif

The same sort of channel selection and price is the same as UK. This is a dictatorial service that needs more competition.

• Like 1

I have had cable in Korea and Taiwan, I have had satellite in Morocco and Malaysia ... I never saw a shut down to re-do the channels. True Visions really doesn't give very good value for money and the management baffles me. On the flip side, customer service has been pretty good ... but I never needed customer service before True Vision.

• Like 1

I'm keeping True Platinum package until the outcome of the next EPL aucyion/ bidding process is known. I've got both True and CTH and if CTH win the next EPL bid I'll ditch True because I'm fed up with the vast number of 'repeats' they show. Also, for a scheduled 1 hour programme on any documentary eg History, the actual programme viewing time usually amounts to no more than about 35 -40 minutes, because of all the advertising interruptions. To make matters worse, on these documentary programmes I keep getting a 1 - 2 second break in the sound commentary. This happens about every 10 -15 seconds and is most frustrating! Has anyone else got this sound commentary problem, or is it just happening to me?

I was with True for 8 years until a month ago true to there word I have just had my 2,000 baht deposit returned even though it took 30 days to arrive. Last year I signed up for CTH and have never had a problem with them however I recently brought up fibre optic to my property and have now signed up to IPTV which has no shortage of UK channels as well as unlimited sports channels. With a combined rental for both my CTH and IPTV it is still less than what I was paying to True each month. You may ask why the need for two providers I have decided to keep CTH in case the internet goes down so that I can use it as a backup !

The only reason I have True is TV and Internet are a package I wanted to upgrade within the package to gold but they said I cannot, if I wanted gold I would have to have 2 accounts one for gold True Visions and another for internet on line.

Yes we have that and they don't tell you this, and a few other things before you sign up. Checked through the channels last night, just Aljazeera, the Australian channel (back on) and a Japanese one in English, All the extra ones are the usual crap.

• Like 1

Now if True could just figure out how to properly handle an HD source inside of an SD channel. This does not mean squeezing the HD source horizontally until it fits.

You may be able to adjust the settings through your tv set. There are usually three or four you can scroll through, some will zoom in and fill the screen , but you'll lose part of the picture, and others will zoom all the way out to get the entire shot, but there will be a lot of black above and below.

Yeah I know about that. On my set it is wide zoom. That is not my job. And HD should be HD, not True cutting bandwidth. True should have a clue. The HD sources are broadcast with the intent that SD conversions will appropriately crop the signal for broadcast. It is Thai mentality. Before they even broadcast HD source in Thailand, people with wide aspect screens simply did a zoom on the SD signal - making the people look short(er) and fat(ter).

I'm keeping True Platinum package until the outcome of the next EPL aucyion/ bidding process is known. I've got both True and CTH and if CTH win the next EPL bid I'll ditch True because I'm fed up with the vast number of 'repeats' they show. Also, for a scheduled 1 hour programme on any documentary eg History, the actual programme viewing time usually amounts to no more than about 35 -40 minutes, because of all the advertising interruptions. To make matters worse, on these documentary programmes I keep getting a 1 - 2 second break in the sound commentary. This happens about every 10 -15 seconds and is most frustrating! Has anyone else got this sound commentary problem, or is it just happening to me?

Audio loss and sometimes, the switch to Thai, if the channel has a secondary audio channel for Thai. Toss in the video drop and that is True at its best.

Nomad

Fox Sports have recently revamped their package and there are now 3 dedicated HD channels; Fox Sports, Fox Sports 2 and Fox Sports 3. They have a number of excellent entertainment channels too, including Fox Premium Films HD

Are you getting the extra Fox Sport and Fox movies Premium channels ?

For some reason I do not get them and have phoned them without any luck.

Did you have to do anything to receive these channels ?

Thanks