thai visa advice

Hello,

I need some advice regarding my situation, thai visas and extensions of stays.

I am in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant B visa. This visa expires on September 2, which is today. I don't think this matters, but this Non-Immigrant B visa was issued in Bangkok after entering Thailand on a Tourist Visa. I have been issued a work permit in Thailand.

I apologize in advance for probably not knowing the specific terms I should be using. Please bear with me if I use an improper term and please correct me.

I won't get into the details, but I have been trying to get an extension of stay based on a Non-Immigrant B visa and having a valid work permit. I believe I will have all the necessary documents ready by 3pm today.

Here are my questions:

1- Due to my Non-Immigrant B visa expiring today and that I won't have documents to request an extension of stay until late in the day, should I get a 30 day extension first, just in case there is a problem with the extension of stay request?

2- Will getting a 30 day extension in any way cause a problem with a request of extension of stay based on my work permit?

3- Are there any other issues I should be aware of or concerned with?

Let me know if more details are needed and thank you in advance.

Thank you UbonJoe. As a backup plan just in case the request for a 1 year extension falls through today, does requesting a 7 day extension sound reasonable and my best course of action (possibly my only option besides leaving the country)? Do you know if the 7 day extension is granted today, will it have any negative impact on subsequently requesting a 1 year extension of stay?

"Other than a one year extension all you can get is 7 days."

Immigration might want to see a ticket out of the country during those 7 days.

They might be more flexible if they understand why you need the extra time. Or not.

No ticket or reason is necessary to obtain 7 day extension.

For what it's worth, I was told if I obtain a 7 day extension on my Non-Immigrant B visa, I would not be able to subsequently extend the visa with a one year visa extension and that I would be required to leave Thailand on or before the 7 day extension expired. I was told this "law" was changed as of Aug 29th. I also confirmed this with another officer at the Chang Watthana immigration office.

Edited by campyman

For what it's worth, I was told if I obtain a 7 day extension on my Non-Immigrant B visa, I would not be able to subsequently extend the visa with a one year visa extension and that I would be required to leave Thailand on or before the 7 day extension expired. I was told this "law" was changed as of Aug 29th. I also confirmed this with another officer at the Chang Watthana immigration office.

Yes, this is my understanding too. New regulation removed the verbiage allowing a new application when granted 7 days extension.