My Non-B Visa Expires a Week Before My Work Permit

Hi, everyone.

I have a couple questions today and I hope some of you can help me.

My current contract and work permit expire on September 30, 2014, but for some reason the non-B visa expires a week earlier, on September 25, 2014. Should I be concerned about this, and, if so, what do I do? I've always been under the impression they are linked in the way they expire on the same day.

Also, I've heard policies have changed recently and foreigners are given an automatic one week extension of their non-B visa when the work permit expires. How does that work? And does it mean I don't have to leave the country until October 7, 2014?

Work permits and extensions are not linked.

Your employer can get your work permit renewed early.

There is no 7 days after the work permit expires. You can apply for a 7 day extension at immigration if your permit to stay is running out.

There is no 7 days after the work permit expires. You can apply for a 7 day extension at immigration if your permit to stay is running out.

Thanks, but I'm not returning to the job. I will leave when the contract expires.

Are you sure about the extension? A few people have recently told me you're automatically granted a seven day extension of stay when your work permit expires. I think I even read on TV that it's one of the new policies.

Thanks, but I'm not returning to the job. I will leave when the contract expires.

Are you sure about the extension? A few people have recently told me you're automatically granted a seven day extension of stay when your work permit expires. I think I even read on TV that it's one of the new policies.

There is no change you have to apply for the 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and then will be given 7 days to leave.

Another thing is the question as to why immigration would grant 7 days when the work permit expires when they have nothing to do with work permits.

• Like 2

There is no change you have to apply for the 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and then will be given 7 days to leave.

Another thing is the question as to why immigration would grant 7 days when the work permit expires when they have nothing to do with work permits.

I'm gonna have to check my sources and get back to you on the seven day thing. All I know for sure is a couple people on a different forum said the deadline to leave the country after a work permit expires was recently changed from 24 hours to one week. I know in the past you had to apply for an extension of your visa, but they guys are saying it's automatic now.

My bigger problem is the non-B expiring a week before the work permit expires. Why did that happen? And how do I handle it?

It is not automatic, you have to apply for the 7 days extra.

Only option you have is to apply for an extension of stay if you want to work untill Sept. 30th.

Okay. Thank guys.

Any idea why this happened? I thought the work permit and the non-B were supposed to end on the same day. I guess I'm just wondering if someone made a mistake and I can possibly fix it without paying the 1,900 to extend for a week.

Edited by eldragon

It is not automatic, you have to apply for the 7 days extra.

Only option you have is to apply for an extension of stay if you want to work untill Sept. 30th.

Okay. Thank guys.

Any idea why this happened? I thought the work permit and the non-B were supposed to end on the same day. I guess I'm just wondering if someone made a mistake and I can possibly fix it without paying the 1,900 to extend for a week.

They seldom end on the same day. As I said before they are not linked.

It is common for the work permit to end after the extension.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, guys. I'm going in for my extension tomorrow and realized I didn't really get an answer to my question.

Just to review, my non-B visa expires tomorrow, but the work permit for my job expires on the 30th. I'm not planning on returning to this job, but I need to finish up the contract so I can get this months salary, and the contract bonus.

What am I looking to do tomorrow? Extend the non-B for a week? Is that even possible? My employer gave me a letter and an employment certificate, but haven't given me any immigration forms or advised me about what I need to do.

I would fill out the TM 7 form and request the extension. If they deny it they will give you a 7 day extension to clear out and that will cover you! It'll still cost 1900 baht either way.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

I assume you'e on a 1 year Non B.

I would suggest, make a border run at least 2 days before your current

1 year Non B expires (not necessarily your current 90 permission to stay)
and when you re-enter you should get an other 3 months, effectively making
your 1 year visa worth 15 months.

The reason I suggest to leave 2 days earlier, on my last border run to Sadao
last week, I was told by that big, fat controller there, I can't re-enter on the
same day (if you do I shoot you was his comment). Might have something
to do that due to transport problems I only got to the border early, early in
the morning after my expiry date

I know this maybe hard to fathom, but I would go to immigration and ask them what to do.

No need. The correct answer, as always, was immediately given already.

Of course if you doubt the helpfulness of this forum you're welcome to seek advice somewhere else.

I'm gonna have to check my sources and get back to you on the seven day thing. All I know for sure is a couple people on a different forum said the deadline to leave the country after a work permit expires was recently changed from 24 hours to one week. I know in the past you had to apply for an extension of your visa, but they guys are saying it's automatic now.

My bigger problem is the non-B expiring a week before the work permit expires. Why did that happen? And how do I handle it?

You will have 7 days to clear out from Thailand if your WP expires or your employer give you the foot.

For Visa, it's still overstay if you don't extend it.

Don't listen to nitwits who don't know kee and listen to the people who already told you what you have to do, not how you would like it to be.

I assume you'e on a 1 year Non B.

I would suggest, make a border run at least 2 days before your current

1 year Non B expires (not necessarily your current 90 permission to stay)

and when you re-enter you should get an other 3 months, effectively making

your 1 year visa worth 15 months.

The reason I suggest to leave 2 days earlier, on my last border run to Sadao

last week, I was told by that big, fat controller there, I can't re-enter on the

same day (if you do I shoot you was his comment). Might have something

to do that due to transport problems I only got to the border early, early in

the morning after my expiry date

Thanks for the help, but this makes no sense. If I tried to do this, I'd lose the work permit.

I'm going in today with a TM 7 or whatever. Hopefully that gets approved.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the help, but this makes no sense. If I tried to do this, I'd lose the work permit.

Thanks everyone.

You misunderstand.

As you are leaving your job, your Work Permit (which is only valid for one's current employment) will be lost anyway and thus cannot be extended at Labour under any circumstance (which would require a fresh contract/paperwork from your current employer).

Presume that you are on an extension from your local Thai Immigration Dept, making 90 days reports there and not going to the borderr; this being the case you will need to apply for a 7 day extension at Immigration using from TM7.

Given your circumstances and lack of a new employer, this may not be what you want, but it is all you can get.

Thanks everyone.

You misunderstand.

As you are leaving your job, your Work Permit (which is only valid for one's current employment) will be lost anyway and thus cannot be extended at Labour under any circumstance (which would require a fresh contract/paperwork from your current employer).

Presume that you are on an extension from your local Thai Immigration Dept, making 90 days reports there and not going to the borderr; this being the case you will need to apply for a 7 day extension at Immigration using from TM7.

Given your circumstances and lack of a new employer, this may not be what you want, but it is all you can get.

No, that's exactly what I want: a seven day extension of my non-B visa so I can finish up my contract and get paid + bonus. Thanks.

Well, boys, it didn't work. Immigration basically said you cannot extend a non-B visa. All you can do is get a new one. But, since I'm leaving the position, suggested I just cancel the non-B, turn in the work permit, and get the 7-day visa extension they grant you when you finish a job here.

And, my employer, who has been ridiculously hands off through this whole procedure, said they won't pay me for the remainder of my contract and will deduct from my bonus. FML.

Well, boys, it didn't work. Immigration basically said you cannot extend a non-B visa. All you can do is get a new one. But, since I'm leaving the position, suggested I just cancel the non-B, turn in the work permit, and get the 7-day visa extension they grant you when you finish a job here.

And, my employer, who has been ridiculously hands off through this whole procedure, said they won't pay me for the remainder of my contract and will deduct from my bonus. FML.

The 7 days were/are only ever going to be given as a refusal of an application to extend your One Year Working in Thailand Extension (which would have been granted under National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.1), but these 7 days are still a further extension of permission to stay.

At the end of the day an extension is an extension and it is certainly arguable that legally your WP remains valid once you have this 7 day extension.

Your employer is certainly being devious and mendacious if they plan to cancel your Work Permit with only one week of remaining validity and then won't let you work the extra week/give you your bonus.

If they don't cancel your WP then you should be able to work the extra week with impunity.

The 7 days were/are only ever going to be given as a refusal of an application to extend your One Year Working in Thailand Extension (which would have been granted under National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.1), but these 7 days are still a further extension of permission to stay.

At the end of the day an extension is an extension and it is certainly arguable that legally your WP remains valid once you have this 7 day extension.

Your employer is certainly being devious and mendacious if they plan to cancel your Work Permit with only one week of remaining validity and then won't let you work the extra week/give you your bonus.

If they don't cancel your WP then you should be able to work the extra week with impunity.

There will be no extension of the non-B. Immigration advised me to come back on the day my non-B expires, cancel it, and get an extension of stay. Once I lose the non-B, I'm no longer legal to work and have to hand over my WP.

The employer is not being devious; they're just idiots. They really don't have a clue about these matters. They're shorting me five days of pay and a small fraction of the bonus. Not something even the pettiest people would do.

There will be no extension of the non-B. Immigration advised me to come back on the day my non-B expires, cancel it, and get an extension of stay. Once I lose the non-B, I'm no longer legal to work and have to hand over my WP.

The employer is not being devious; they're just idiots. They really don't have a clue about these matters. They're shorting me five days of pay and a small fraction of the bonus. Not something even the pettiest people would do.

Sorry to be pedantic but surely you don't have a non 'b' (obtained at a Thai Consular facility) outside of Thailand and requiring 90 day border runs; if you did, the plan of action would be completely different.

You go to immigration on the day your extension expires, don't cancel your WP and don't take it with you, you don't need to cancel your extension of permission to stay as it will expire that day (25 September) anyway; you just use TM7 to apply for an extension based on say Tourism, they will refuse it as you don't have a tourist visa but have to give you 7 days.

Best you have a flight ticket booked to leave after the 7 days.

National Police Order 327/2557

4. In case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualification stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the

nonpermission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

Immigration will give you a 7 day stamp in your passport.

Don't tell you employer exactly what you've done, just say you managed to get the extra week.

I guess however that if you only loose a small fraction of your bonus plus 5 days wages, then it's not the end of the world.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Sorry to be pedantic but surely you don't have a non 'b' (obtained at a Thai Consular facility) outside of Thailand and requiring 90 day border runs; if you did, the plan of action would be completely different.

You go to immigration on the day your extension expires, don't cancel your WP and don't take it with you, you don't need to cancel your extension of permission to stay as it will expire that day (25 September) anyway; you just use TM7 to apply for an extension based on say Tourism, they will refuse it as you don't have a tourist visa but have to give you 7 days.

Best you have a flight ticket booked to leave after the 7 days.

National Police Order 327/2557

4. In case where an applying alien does not meet the full qualification stipulated by the criteria herein, the alien must be notified of the

nonpermission order and must depart from the Kingdom within seven days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.

Immigration will give you a 7 day stamp in your passport.

Don't tell you employer exactly what you've done, just say you managed to get the extra week.

I guess however that if you only loose a small fraction of your bonus plus 5 days wages, then it's not the end of the world.

Sorry, mate, I know you're trying to help, but... I guess I don't have the energy to explain the whole situation. I've been over this with my employer already, and talked to immigration today. I got a temporary non-B in Laos last year. Converted it to a full/extended non-B and got a work permit when I returned to TH. I've actually been here over a year (which might be part of the problem). Anyway, none of that matters b/c immigration said they need a letter from the employer declaring me as terminated. They won't do anything until I produce that. End of story.

I'm probably not using all the right terms here. I'm just exhausted and frustrated b/c I told them this would happen and the lazy <deleted> wouldn't pick up the phone to talk to anyone. Thanks for your help everyone. No big deal. Time for a drink.

Sorry, boys, I need your help again.

Now my employer can't figure out what form I need to cancel my non-B. They just want to send me down to immigration with a note. Yet I'm pretty sure there's some kind of form I need to present. Does anyone know what form I need to bring down to immigration to cancel this thing?

Now my employer can't figure out what form I need to cancel my non-B. They just want to send me down to immigration with a note. Yet I'm pretty sure there's some kind of form I need to present. Does anyone know what form I need to bring down to immigration to cancel this thing?

No form to cancel your Extension: normally it is done with a letter from your employer and/or evidence of the WP being cancelled.

In your case, go there on the 25th and apply for the 7 day extension with form TM7. Your extension will expire that day so should not require any cancellation.

The other (and perhaps easier route) is to leave Thailand on the 25th by air and then re-enter - you should get a 30 day visa exempt; then your WP should be cancelled on or after the 30th September, once your contract expires.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

No form to cancel your Extension: normally it is done with a letter from your employer and/or evidence of the WP being cancelled.

In your case, go there on the 25th and apply for the 7 day extension with form TM7. Your extension will expire that day so should not require any cancellation.

The other (and perhaps easier route) is to leave Thailand on the 25th by air and then re-enter - you should get a 30 day visa exempt; then your WP should be cancelled on or after the 30th September, once your contract expires.

Thanks, bro. And cheers.

Okay, this just keeps getting worse...

Today- after a bit of arguing over the phone last night- my employer proposed letting my non-B expire tomorrow, getting an extension of stay, and working out the contract. They also said they cannot (will not) issue a letter terminating my employment. This is a problem, since based on what immigration told me yesterday, I cannot get an extension of stay without that letter. In fact, I'm not sure I can even leave the country without it (unless I fly). I told my employer that immigration will not grant me an extension of stay without that letter. They called immigration who confirmed everything and told them that I should leave the country tomorrow.

Does this sound right? Any help or ideas?

Just to clarify, are you saying if I go to immigration on the 25th, the day my non-B extension expires, that I don't need any documentation from the employer to cancel?