Thai Wiring Money to Himself in the US?

I actually do have a Thai friend that asked me a question I was unsure of. Real friend I swear, haha. It is funny how this scenario is totally unbelievable in the world of Thaivisa.

Anyway, I was asked by a Thai going to the US to study how he will move his money from Thailand to the US, FROM the US (after he arrives). He mentioned something about Bangkok Bank's international online transfers, but he thought he needed an account in the US first to execute this option.

I just told him I was clueless. So, anybody know how a Thai can transfer money from Thailand into the US, from the US (online)? Would you have to set up a bank account in the US before leaving somehow? Any info appreciated.

I think he must have an account in the US BEFORE he departs to use BKK bank's international wire transfers.

The question is, how would he get that bank account in the US while he's in Thailand? I wonder if bkk bank could help him. Doubt it. But yeah, I can mention to him to inquire about it with them.

Edited by meand

I think he must have an account in the US BEFORE he departs to use BKK bank's international wire transfers.

The question is, how would he get that bank account in the US while he's in Thailand? I wonder if bkk bank could help him. Doubt it. But yeah, I can mention to him to inquire about it with them.

why does he need a bank account in the U.S. when still in Thailand? huh.png

why does he need a bank account in the U.S. when still in Thailand? huh.png

Bangkok bank's international wire transfer option must be signed in front of a bank official. You can't sign up for this ibanking service by phone or mail. The form for international transfers via ibanking requires the beneficiary account info. Without the account in the us, it seems it's not an option?

As I was saying, if bangkok bank could help the Thai national get an account in the us, this may work, but I doubt they have taken their customer service to this extreme level :)

Edited by meand

A Thai can wire money abroad no problems. He should have an account there (U.S.) He should do it before he goes. Alternatively, he could transfer money from his (Thai) account online to a family member in Thailand and have them wire it (to the U.S.) for him.

That's my understanding of what the officer at Bangkok Bank told me. I was trying to transfer money back to Canada but was experiencing limits and "procedures" I was told that my Thai wife could transfer money to my account in Canada in any amount with any frequency without problems. I think that the key may be "family member wires money for support".

Hope that helps

• Like 1

A Thai can wire money abroad no problems. He should have an account there (U.S.) He should do it before he goes. Alternatively, he could transfer money from his (Thai) account online to a family member in Thailand and have them wire it (to the U.S.) for him.

That's my understanding of what the officer at Bangkok Bank told me. I was trying to transfer money back to Canada but was experiencing limits and "procedures" I was told that my Thai wife could transfer money to my account in Canada in any amount with any frequency without problems. I think that the key may be "family member wires money for support".

Hope that helps

Thank you.

So, you say it is in fact possible to open a US bank account while in Thailand? If that is true then the problem is solved. Any info on where, or what bank to try this at? I will ask next time I am in Bangkok Bank, but not sure they could help with that.

Here's the Bangkok Bank webpage talking about international transfers via Bangkok Bank ibanking. Link

Thanks Pib. Yeah, but nowhere does it say anything about helping you get an an account overseas so you can actually use their international transfers by way of ibanking from the US.

I am supposing if a Thai wanted to do this, he'd simply have to go to the US, open a bank account, and use that account for his international transfer account next time he was in Thailand when he signed up for the service. I just don't see how else one could do this, as they explicitly say you must sign the form in front of a bank officer (ie you could not go to the US, open an account, then fax them the international transfer form).

Edited by meand

Well, maybe it wouldn't have to be his account...he could send it to another account....maybe a friend or another family member in the area he will be staying. And maybe even the school he will be studying has an account money can be sent to for international students. Whatever account satisfies Bangkok Bank to allow the transfer. Sending money out of Thailand can be a pain sometimes even for Thais; but Thailand has wide open arms for incoming money.

He could also just use a Bangkok Bank debit card which could satisfy some of his money needs....when using it outside of Thailand Bangkok Bank charges a Bt100 per transaction. And of course there would most likely be a fee charged of a couple of dollars by the local ATM he is using.

Your Thai friend just needs to go to a branch and ask the necessary questions....sounds like the only one he needs answer is more info about "the account he would be sending it to...and account not necessarily his." Plus the branch could probably suggest some other "money sending" options. Tell your friend just to visit a Bangkok Bank branch and ask some questions.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Hope that helps

This is exactly correct. Family members can wire money without hassles. And they will go by the family name of the sender (in Thailand) and receiver (overseas). If the family names are the same, red tape is put away.

It's a specific Bank of Thailand regulation.

Hope that helps

This is exactly correct. Family members can wire money without hassles. And they will go by the family name of the sender (in Thailand) and receiver (overseas). If the family names are the same, red tape is put away.

It's a specific Bank of Thailand regulation.

Family isn't an option unfortunately, which is maybe why he is having trouble and asked. Thanks.

If he can wire money to another account in the US other than his, that should work. So as Pib said he should inquire about this. I thought it was that you could only connect your own bank account in your name to the ibanking intl transfers though.

Edited by meand