LHR Terminal 2

sandyf

I have just been back to the UK on EVA which is now operating out of Terminal 2. When I arrived it was like a ghost town and with the long walk to immigration there was no queues. The have about a dozen brand new e-gates and I went straight through without a problem. There was only our flight in baggage reclaim so that was over quite quick. I had a couple of hours before the bus went so I made my way over to terminal 3 for a beer and some internet time. It was absolute chaos there, difficult to believe it was the same airport.

Coming back was a completely different scenario. In the departures hall there are about 200 check in desks and only 18 in area A were in use with a couple of hundred people milling about. Everyone has to check in at a machine, all machines had the obligatory queue, and then procede to baggage drop off. I had checked in online so I was directed straight to baggage drop off. Of the 18 desks in use, 8 were for drop off and the other 10 for assistance which were hardly being used. The drop off desks handle 6 airlines and fortunately there were only 3 flights at the time so the queue was only about half an hour.

The entrance to departures is unmanned and gated, you place the boarding card on a scanner to open the gate. They are now using the self print boarding cards from your own computer so you would need to be careful the scanner image does not get marked.

Security has all brand new equipment, bags are automatically pushed from the main conveyor on to a spur conveyor if the machine picked up anything suspicious. When I went through it seemed to be pulling every other bag, mine included. It was about 15 minutes before my bag came to the front and I was taken through to the examination area. There they empty everything out and swab the bag with what looks like a small toilet brush which is then stuck in a detector machine. My problem appeared to be a nearly used roll on deodorant that was 50ml when new. After he checked it he said I was free to put everything back in the bag and go. On leaving the examination area I was stopped again to have a bag swab. I told the guy that it had already been done but he said that it was a different detector. Nearly 40 minutes to get through security.

They were only handling 3 flights and everything seemed to be chaotic, hate to think what it would be like when busy. It may be bright and shiny with all mod cons but I for one will be avoiding terminal 2 for some time to come.

I went through there in July on EVA. Everything went smoothly. Checked in at a manned counter. Went through normal security checks. Wandered around the empty terminal building for a while. Went through the long tunnel to the B satellite terminal etc. I prefer the way you wait to board now. Instead of all the passengers congregating in a room, there's an open plan lounge and they check your boarding pass as you go to enter the walkway.

Coming back was easy. Same long trek through the tunnel. A short queue at passport control, made longer by people going down the aisle for the automatic check but who then cut in front of the people queuing. That should be stopped. A longish wait for my case. And out.

I think it was a design mistake not including the entrance to the train station tunnels within the terminal building. In bad weather, passengers will have to brave the elements to move between the station and terminal.

Thai and Turkish did move last week,but they delayed it because the baggage system couldn't cope. And I heard the Airport ran out of money to install a baggage system in T2!,where does all our money go to?

I went through there in July on EVA. Everything went smoothly. Checked in at a manned counter. Went through normal security checks. Wandered around the empty terminal building for a while. Went through the long tunnel to the B satellite terminal etc. I prefer the way you wait to board now. Instead of all the passengers congregating in a room, there's an open plan lounge and they check your boarding pass as you go to enter the walkway.

Coming back was easy. Same long trek through the tunnel. A short queue at passport control, made longer by people going down the aisle for the automatic check but who then cut in front of the people queuing. That should be stopped. A longish wait for my case. And out.

I think it was a design mistake not including the entrance to the train station tunnels within the terminal building. In bad weather, passengers will have to brave the elements to move between the station and terminal.

When I came back they boarded by zone number and someone checked that before you could join the queue, it was then a boarding card scan to go to the aircraft.

Looks like they have addressed the immigration queue, the e-gates were fenced off. If you took that route you would have to turn rounds and come back out.

The walkway from T2 joins the main walkway near the central bus station. There is no need to go outside for any of the public transport. Sounds like it was incomplete when you went.

Hi folks can you tell me how long after security in t2 with eva to boarding lounge and what gate numbers used. Thanks

That depends where you are in departures. I left from gate B47 and that took me about 20 minutes from the lower level, start of walkway to B gates. I am quite slow so it would not be any longer.

It is also quite a walk, about 10 mins from the CBS/Underground area to the T2 check in area.

Thai and Turkish did move last week,but they delayed it because the baggage system couldn't cope. And I heard the Airport ran out of money to install a baggage system in T2!,where does all our money go to?

There was a Turkish flight checking in at the same time as me on Sunday. I think there was a Thai one due as I saw Thai staff in the check in area.

That probably explains why the baggage came in dribs and drabs.