Difference Between Non-O and NonO-A Visas

The consulate nearest me in the US offers both "Non-Immigrant" and "Non-Immigrant O-A (Retiring)" visas, in both Single Entry ($80) and Multiple Entry ($200) versions.

In terms of Duration of Stay granted on entry (1 year) and Validity period (enter by date = 1 year from issuance) the Multiple Entry versions of each look the same.

I meet the qualifications for both, and I'm deciding which one to apply for.

My question is what are the differences, if any, between the two, in terms of 90-day reporting, need for re-entry permit prior to departure, money in the bank, ability for extension of stay for a second year, or any other factor.

Thanks very much.

ThaiConsulate-Visa-Fees.tiff

Non O - A Visa gives a stay of 12 months. Report to Immigration every 90 days.

Equivalent of 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly income or a combination of both needed.

Police and Medical reports needed.

Non Imm Visa gives stays or 90 days max.

Multi Entry would mean leaving the country every 90 days

You can get a single Non Imm O Visa and extend your stay by 12 months in Thailand.

No Police or Medical reports needed.

800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly income or a combination of both required for 12 month extension.

• Like 1

Will not get a non-o visa from a official consulate or the embassy for being 50 or over. They will only do a multiple entry non-oa visa.

The non-o shown on their fee schedule would be for marriage to Thai.

The OA visa would give you multiple one year entries for a year. By doing an entry just before the visa expires you can get another year from the visa meaning you can get almost 2 years of total stay from it.

You can get a multiple entry non-o from one of the honorary consulates in the states. It will give multiple 90 entries for a year and you can get almost 15 from it by doing an entry just before it expires. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

You can also get a one year extension of stay at immigration here.

Just to clarify, with a Multiple Entry Non-O, would you get permission to stay of 1 year or 90 days?

The chart on the consulate website (attached above) for both Non-O and for Non-O-A says "90 days / 1 year" under "Duration of Stay", which I interpreted to mean 90 days for single entry visa and 1 year for multiple entry. However both LiteBeer and ubonjoe are saying only 90 days for Non-O.

The chart under "Duration of Stay" for the Non-O-A says the same thing for both, but you are saying it's actually 90 days for the Non-O and 1 year for the Non-O-A. Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks again.

Just to clarify, with a Multiple Entry Non-O, would you get permission to stay of 1 year or 90 days?

90 days, but you woudl be still eligible for an extension of stay in country, if that suits you.

The chart on the consulate website (attached above) for both Non-O and for Non-O-A says "90 days / 1 year" under "Duration of Stay", which I interpreted to mean 90 days for single entry visa and 1 year for multiple entry. However both LiteBeer and ubonjoe are saying only 90 days for Non-O.

The chart is unfortunately incorrect. Moderator's postings are correct.

The chart under "Duration of Stay" for the Non-O-A says the same thing for both, but you are saying it's actually 90 days for the Non-O and 1 year for the Non-O-A. Am I understanding correctly?

Correct. Moreover you will find that "single entry Non-imm O-A" does not really exist. "O-A" are all multiple entry.

The 'Validity Period' mentioned for the 'O-A' visa being 1 year from date of issue is confusing me.

I am in the final stages of gathering documents in the UK before going to the Royal Thai Embassy in London and have been advised that I have to enter Thailand within 3 months of the 'O-A' visa being issued.

Which 'Validity Period' is correct or is it different for the US and UK?

The 'Validity Period' mentioned for the 'O-A' visa being 1 year from date of issue is confusing me.

I am in the final stages of gathering documents in the UK before going to the Royal Thai Embassy in London and have been advised that I have to enter Thailand within 3 months of the 'O-A' visa being issued.

Which 'Validity Period' is correct or is it different for the US and UK?

The clerk in the UK is probably mentioning non-imm "O" single entry, that is three months. "O-A" validity is one year.

visa1.jpg

So I just received a Non Immigrant O visa multiple entry as I'm married to a Thai, will enter Thailand in 3 weeks, after my year is up, it's possible to extend the visa for 'one year' while in Thailand or must I exit Thailand and reapply all over again at a Thai consulate or Embassy abroad? By the way it was an easy visa to get, requiring 'no funds' basically proof and translation of our marriage and documentation of my Wife's Thai citizenship.

So I just received a Non Immigrant O visa multiple entry as I'm married to a Thai, will enter Thailand in 3 weeks, after my year is up, it's possible to extend the visa for 'one year' while in Thailand or must I exit Thailand and reapply all over again at a Thai consulate or Embassy abroad? By the way it was an easy visa to get, requiring 'no funds' basically proof and translation of our marriage and documentation of my Wife's Thai citizenship.

If you want a new visa you will have to get it outside of Thailand. You will also have to leave Thailand every 90 days. At the end of any of the 90 days periods you can apply for an extension of stay based on either marriage or retirement (provided you can meet the relevant financial criteria).

OK, so to claim and extension while in Thailand you must show the financial proof, otherwise exit and just get a new O visa

Correct. By the way "just" getting a new visa is easier in some places than others, so be sure to check in a year or so the current situation.