Report : new 5 year drivers license

Barney R

A Q here: Did you need two (2) affidavits of address from your embassy? Costly, too.

Or, just do it the easy way with a Yellow tambien ban?

Mac

Did it the easy way I got 2 copies of my landlords ID with his signature on both which is taken as proof of residence .

Hmmm, never thought of that way. Just included that along with a copy of your lease with him?

What LTD office were you dealing with? Might not be the same country-wide. But, sure worth a try as rather less costly, or time consuming than the embassy route.

Mac

No you do not need a copy of the lease all that is required is the landlords ID with a signature . I actually asked if this was the same country -wide as I have amate in Nong Khai about to do the same thing and he said yes but as you probably have experienced here in the LOS things can change from 1 province to another quite dramatically . It was the Trat office

Cheers Barney

And what about the new "complicated" test that they have been talking about ?

You only need to do the test if you don't have a foreign license. Remember you need a foreign license for a car AND a motorbike. Otherwise you do the test for the one you don't have.

Did mine 2 days ago at Nakhon Pathom (renewed my 2 5yr licenses). They made me watch the video, do the depth perception, brake, color and peripheral vision tests. Paid my cash and was on my way. I had heard they were a little tough so I had prepped for the e-exam, but no test. It took about 2 hours as there was a crowd of us. The address ID I got from immigration. Copy of passport, tabien baan and owners ID copy and the form required from immigration signed by her.

Oz

Hmmm, never thought of that way. Just included that along with a copy of your lease with him?

What LTD office were you dealing with? Might not be the same country-wide. But, sure worth a try as rather less costly, or time consuming than the embassy route.

Mac

Hopefully that will work, but for anyone else, I got the Certification at the U.S. Citizen Services Office. The DLT Office, near the Mo Chit BTS in Bangkok, accepted a photocopy of that, to process the motorcycle license at the same time that I was getting one for the car.

I think that mostly we get good friendly service at most vehicle offices (I have been to a few) when registering a car/motorcycle or getting a drivers licence.

Problems only usually occur when you don't have the required paperwork, it certainly does not help that requirements differ so much depending on location and season.

Picking up on an earlier post if you have an International Driving permit you can get a car and motorbike license on the strength of that without taking a test for either. I had never been on a motorbike until I got my license here but got one with no questions asked. The IDP does not stipulate car only.

A Q here: Did you need two (2) affidavits of address from your embassy? Costly, too.

Or, just do it the easy way with a Yellow tambien ban?

Mac

All you need is a letter from the local police station it's usually free.

I just converted my bike license from 1 to 5 years in Phuket Town.

The requirements were more than anything stated above.

The first thing needed was a 'Proof of Residence' Document issued by Immigration - a signed lease was not acceptable.

To get a PoR you need a photocopy of ; your lease agreement , your passport info page and visa page and exit card.

One photo , one completed application form , 300 baht , and PATIENCE !

You then go to the Licensing Office with this letter , a letter I dont see really proves anything. ( I discovered at Immigration that my lease dates had expired by 1 month , but was told not to worry! Thus I could easily have actually moved house.)

But wait , theres more .... a health certificate from a Dr is required.

As is the 3 photocopies from your passport.

And a completed application form.

And your old license.

And a brake and colour test.

And a fee ( 130 baht IIRC)

And a photo sitting for the new license ( 110 baht).

For some reason Phuket offices open at 8am BTW. If you arent done before lunch , you will have to come back the next day.

If anyone knows a lousy Dr who wants to make good money , recommend he sets up with good falang signage opposite those offices at Saphan Hin. And opens at 8am!

Next is my 5 year car drivers license.... more than a month away so my Proof of Residence paperwork and Drs visit must be done again.

I just converted my bike license from 1 to 5 years in Phuket Town.

The requirements were more than anything stated above.

The first thing needed was a 'Proof of Residence' Document issued by Immigration - a signed lease was not acceptable.

To get a PoR you need a photocopy of ; your lease agreement , your passport info page and visa page and exit card.

One photo , one completed application form , 300 baht , and PATIENCE !

You then go to the Licensing Office with this letter , a letter I dont see really proves anything. ( I discovered at Immigration that my lease dates had expired by 1 month , but was told not to worry! Thus I could easily have actually moved house.)

But wait , theres more .... a health certificate from a Dr is required.

As is the 3 photocopies from your passport.

And a completed application form.

And your old license.

And a brake and colour test.

And a fee ( 130 baht IIRC)

And a photo sitting for the new license ( 110 baht).

For some reason Phuket offices open at 8am BTW. If you arent done before lunch , you will have to come back the next day.

If anyone knows a lousy Dr who wants to make good money , recommend he sets up with good falang signage opposite those offices at Saphan Hin. And opens at 8am!

Next is my 5 year car drivers license.... more than a month away so my Proof of Residence paperwork and Drs visit must be done again.

That was easy whats the big deal?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I renewed my driving licence in Chonburi towards the end of last month.

Requirements:

Letter confirming my address from Immigration. Two photos required (only car licence).

Medical certificate - a joke. The receptionist completed and signed the form

Copies of passport (original visa), current extension, photo page and exit card

Copy of front and back of licence plus original (1-year) licence

I was given a form to sign and add my telephone number.

Tests:

Colour blindness test. One farang said that green was actually "blue". Fail! I assume he was allowed a second chance later.

Brake reaction test

Depth of vision test

Fee 605 baht

The day I was there, they were having computer problems so I had to go back the following day to get my 5-year licence. No safety video to sit through and no test to sit.

Alan

All they want is a letter from a doctor. Costs 100 bhat and doctor says "Are you healthy?" and you get the letter. Any clinic can supply this.

Well ... not exactly.

Almost everywhere is different.

I've had 2 Certificates.

One doctor didn't want to meet me, his receptionist filled out the Form.

Cost ... 50 Baht.

One Doctor did want to interview me, his receptionist carried out the Colour test ... much to the entertainment of those Thai Patients sitting in his waiting room, waiting to see if the white man knew his Thai numbers. I did (just).

Cost ... 30 Baht.

In Thailand, many peoples mileage is different.

Went to renew my five year motorbike licence at Cha Am. No tests of any kind, but told I must wait and attend a road safety lecture along with a bunch of other applicants, all Thai. I asked if it would be translated into English and told it wouldn't but I must listen or else no licence!.

The lecture was delivered by a jocular policeman, in Thai only. I laughed along with everybody else for a minute or two and then, like the old News of the World reporters used to do, made an excuse and left the room.

I sat outside until the lecture ended, studying wall posters on road safety (just in case) until the lecture ended, then trotted along to the license counter and was handed mine without a word.

Good old Thailand. You just gotta love it.

Renewed for the second time my 5 years license (1 for motorcycle and 1 for car), the total was a little more than 1.000 for both.

Given back my 2 old licenses, original yellow book and copies of passport/yellow book for each license.

Had to watch a very long and ridiculous movie exposing unbelievable behaviour from the actors (things like a young thai being biten up and kicked from a multitude of other people surrounding him thai style, a young lady who thinks she's an asian Barbie doll or something, etc...) apparently was compulsory to watch it, it was like an hour and a half or 2......then the "brake test" and "color test", no medical certificate required and picture taken digitally on site, this is for the Prachinburi DLT.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anyone have recent experience going from 5-year to a new 5-year?

I know the 1-year to 5-year is easy.

I renewed my 5-year car licence in Bangkok today. I got there at just after 8am with all the right paperwork, already copied (passport ID & visa pages, work permit ID & address page, old 5-year licence which had expired 10 days earlier). No application form to complete, just wrote my name on the form I was given.

Short queue to get my documents checked and copies signed, then given a coloured queue number (purple for renewing a 5-year car licence). Sat around for about 40 minutes watching a looped video about the physical tests, then called in to watch the driving standards video. Very mawkish and very Thai. Would be nice to think it's effective. Good English subtitles. But it is long - about 45 minutes.

We got taken out before it had finished and there was a 20 minute wait, standing room only, for the tests.

The tests were conducted very publicly (colour tests, peripheral vision test, reaction test) and they have a strange idea of the colour yellow, but I passed and was out in 10 minutes.

I was #153 in the queue to be photographed and pay (605 baht) and they were on #113 so I was waiting around 45 minutes to finish.

So all in all fairly painless but I'll be glad when they start issuing licences for life. A bonus is that the licence doesn't expire until my birthday in 2020, so I've got 6 years!