Phuket man wins B4m in national lottery

webfact

Phuket man wins B4m in national lottery
Eakkapop Thongtub

1409648999_1-org.jpg
Mr Arun's winning tickets.

PHUKET: -- A Cherng Talay man became the second Thai lottery winner in Phuket in the space of three weeks, winning B4 million yesterday (September 1) on tickets he bought.

At 11am today (September 2) the winner, Arun (full name withheld to respect his request for privacy), went from his Cherng Talay home to Thalang Police Station to report his win.

Pol Lt Col Sanitch Nookong checked that the ticket had the right number – 856763 – and then recorded Mr Arun’s details in the daily log.

Unfortunately for Mr Arun, he did not have either of the “suit” numbers that would have put him in the really big money. Suit 21 would have seen him net B34 million, and suit 64 would have netted him B20 million. He had suits 25 and 26.

Arun was not keen to talk with reporters. He told one writer who did get through to him that he wanted to keep his win private.

“I don’t want to be in the news. I have a lot of grandchildren to take care of … and a lot of debts to pay … leave me in peace.” He then hung up.

On August 17 Sutin and Puangkaew Nuanjan of Rawai won B24 million.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-man-wins-b4m-in-national-lottery-48532.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-02

• Like 1

Arun was not keen to talk with reporters. He told one writer who did get through to him that he wanted to keep his win private.

“I don’t want to be in the news. I have a lot of grandchildren to take care of … and a lot of debts to pay … leave me in peace.” He then hung up.

How about a little bit of ethics for the people who tipped the news reporters as well as newspapers... leeches.

But, but, but ! I'm sure I am a long-lost relative of his ! How can I be sure if I don't know his full name, address, telephone number and bank details ?!? I'm sure he would want to share his windfall with a long (long, really, really long) lost relative, that just happens to have a sick daughter that desperately needs a (insert: kidney/liver/iPhone) replacement that costs about 4 million baht !

What loving family member would not want to help out a relative in a time of need ? Poor cousin (what's his name, Arun ?) must be sick with grief over his inability to help me ! I blame those evil Phuket News people for not being more persistent in getting all of the personal details I need from ol' cousin Arun ! Don't they realize I have a sick son that needs very expensive medical care. Er, I mean a sick daughter. Or was that a buffalo ? Which long lost relative is this one ?

At least post his email so I can put him in contact with a (Syrian/Iraqi/Afghani) general who needs help transferring billions of US dollars in stolen aid donations out of his country ! Who wouldn't want to help with that ?

There was a story not long ago about a Canadian couple that had won a major lottery jackpot and didn't come forward to claim it until 7 months later. They wanted to wait until the excitement was over and the scammers had moved on before (quietly) claiming their prize.

My plan (had I ever won) was to wait until the day they published the "lottery magazine" (that shows the winners names/pictures), then claim the prize as my name/picture wouldn't appear until the following week. Then, deposit the prize cheque in a bank, transfer a small amount to a different bank and then go on a holiday with only access to the small amount. Spend 3-4 months getting over the euphoria of the win, plan what to do with it and wait for the "long lost relatives" to disappear before returning and accessing the money in the other bank.

Apparently the main problem I have with my plan is, you actually have to buy a lottery ticket (well, supposedly) in order to have a chance to win ! How crazy is that ?!?!

• Like 2

The problem with this case is that Chern talay is not really that populous location. Now every Arun, who is 50+ years old (having multiple grandchildren) in that location will be asked "was it you who won the lottery". Then it's up to Arun to lie or tell the truth to his friends.

But as he wished to remain anonymous, is it fair to put him in to the position which requires him to lie to his friends to keep his initial wish? After all, the winning should have been simply enjoyable event. That feeling was now taken away because some newspapers wanted to have few more clicks and a bit more money without thinking one step ahead.

They go to the police station to prove that the winning ticket plus matching serial numbers are theirs.

This hopefully stops somebody breaking into their house and stealing the tickets.

Was told once that you can go with the winning ticket to a bank, and they'll give you the money right away (deposit it into an account), deducting a small service charge. I would feel kind of uneasy being in possession of a piece of paper worth 4 million, and would rather go into a bank branch office where they know me, instead of to a police station.

Edited by keestha

Can anyone explain how the Thai lotteries work and can a farang buy a ticket and claim if they win ?

Cheers

Easy......they're selling lottery tickets all over the place near the 15th and near the end of the month, when the draws take place. Places like bus stations, and on the pavement in front of a bank. Anybody can buy a ticket an claim the winnings. The legal Thai lottery does not give you very good chances. There are a lot of shops that are able to pay you if you have won a small amount.