Bike Driver falls to his death from Central Pattaya Highway 7 overpass

webfact

Bike Driver falls to his death from Central Pattaya Highway 7 overpass

crash-11.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Tuesday a 25 year old Motorbike Driver fell off the overpass leading to Highway 7 in Central Pattaya after he crashed his bike into the barriers where the road takes a sharp right turn.

Police and medics attended the scene of the crash just after 3am. On the overpass was the damaged motorbike of Khun Paiwan and below the overpass, on the Sukhumvit Road, was his body.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/142926/bike-driver-falls-to-his-death-from-central-pattaya-highway-7-overpass/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-09-03

I have been told by Thais that bikes are allowed on there because it is not a tollway. This is probably wrong but I have seen a couple of bikes on there when I was on my way to the Banglamung District licensing centre.

Edit: I am pretty sure there used to be a sign "no motorbikes allowed" (and no tractors, mopeds, ox carts etc.) just before the on-ramp coming from South Pattaya but have been looking for it last time and it definitely wasn't there (a couple of months ago).

Edited by wump

Bikes allowed on there?

Yes, why not, it isn't actually part of the motorway.

It is how I access the railway line bypass road from Sukhumvit heading North..

Actually they have put speed limit signs and coloured the road surface red, along with speed limit signs on the surface as this has happened a few times previously. Sad to hear of it happening again.

I can see how someone would accelerate up the ramp after getting out of the argy-bargy and pushiness of the recently released traffic on Sukhumvit. The bend is quite sharp, I have felt the need to slow down and sometimes someone is up-your behind who is less inclined to. I have even had 2 cars abreast trying to pass me on the bend pushing me left.

Perhaps rumble strips, some flashing arrows/lights and a fence on top of the wall are required. I am unsure how this ramp looks a night... I am never out on the bike at these times. Too dangerous.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

I have been told by Thais that bikes are allowed on there because it is not a tollway. This is probably wrong but I have seen a couple of bikes on there when I was on my way to the Banglamung District licensing centre.

Edit: I am pretty sure there used to be a sign "no motorbikes allowed" (and no tractors, mopeds, ox carts etc.) just before the on-ramp coming from South Pattaya but have been looking for it last time and it definitely wasn't there (a couple of months ago).

There are no restrictions signs at this access ramp.....used it Sunday.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure bikes are allowed, we often use that route as we head off on trips out of Pattaya. Then again, maybe it's just that no one ever enforces the rules and we've just been getting away with it for the last couple of years. (Wouldn't surprise me.)

It is a bit of a nasty curve if you aren't prepared for it, especially as you accelerate going up the ramp and the curve is right at the top. Been a few accidents (with motorbikes) at that spot. Last one (IIRC) was 2 Russian kids. I think one of them went over as well. I seem to recall another accident previous to that one, but the details are sketchy (I think the one in 2012 is the one I'm thinking of. Yeah, 51 y.o. Norwegian and 16 y.o. Thai girl - both dead. Witnesses claim he was driving erratically and at a high speed).

Probably been a few more that didn't result in fatalities, plus probably a few car/truck accidents there as well.

• Like 1

When one of those speeding reckless maniacs shoots past my pick-up I often say a little prayer for them. It goes... "Please Dear Lord, when they hit something, as they surely will soon, make it inanimate, and their departure a swift painless one involving no other person". I only have sympathy for any loved ones now grieving thier loss.

• Like 1

its basically a 90 degree right turn to the 7 but up a ramp to go over the sukhumvit. it isnt rocket science to guess that by going up the ramp it will eventually turn right, theres a big green sign showing that beforehand. from the number of people falling off there it could do with some catch fencing at the apex, with a target painted on it.

Always been allowed to rode bikes on it since it opened, where have u people been.....been on it many times and never speed around that on ramp bend..no way hozez ! but some people...whistling.gif

We've been here fabphil and if you take the effort to dig into the TV archive, you may find a post on a copper reporting motorbike-riders accessing the road also showing a traffic sign that motorbikes, tractors and other slow-moving vehicles are not allowed there.

IF the sign is still there, not sure, but as soon as the #7 will be a tollway from Pattaya up to and in to Bangkok it will be surely forbidden for slow moving traffic (except trucks of course whistling.gif )

• Like 1

Many overpasses are signposted in Bangkok saying no bikes, but signage has little effect. I have on occassion seen bikers pulled over by the police for going over the ramp - yes they may get a 100 baht "fine" point is that at least they are made aware.

Sadly it seems that bikers on this particular overpass are often not as careful as they should be, and sadly this chap is now another increment in the statistics, instead of going on into the future to live a long life.

I wish we could make them see before they take these risks.

I told my kids that they must learn to be careful on the roads, and assume that every single other driver is a complete idiot who has no idea what they are doing - at least that way, hopefully, the other driver will not be expected to make logical or safe decisions, and my kids will be more aware of the dangers.

My condolences to the riders family and friends.

Many overpasses are signposted in Bangkok saying no bikes, but signage has little effect. I have on occassion seen bikers pulled over by the police for going over the ramp - yes they may get a 100 baht "fine" point is that at least they are made aware.

I rode my bike over the signposted overpass from Sriricha, was pulled over and given a B400 fine w/ receipt. Sorry, can't sing along w/ our renowned TV Tea Money Chorus.

And that did make me aware of the signpost, the silliness of the rule, and the future annoyance and inconvenience I'd experience.

But this overpass isn't signposted and bikes are permitted, so what's the relevance of your assertion?

Sadly it seems that bikers on this particular overpass are often not as careful as they should be, and sadly this chap is now another increment in the statistics, instead of going on into the future to live a long life.

Some bikers, exactly. In fact, some aren't as careful as they should be most anywhere they ride. ;)

When you open that throttle to feel the surge of power between your legs and satisfy your burning desire for speed, you should not expect too much sympathy (I've hated myself many a time :)). Looking at those m/cycle accident compilations on Youtube, you start to realise that about a third of riders really deserve what they get - speeding when caution is required, lack of motoring skills, lack of road craft, inability to "read" traffic and danger signals. I've only been over this section of road once, and I remember thinking that this is one piece of <deleted> roadworks with garbage and surface debris everywhere.

I rode my bike over the signposted overpass from Sriricha, was pulled over and given a B400 fine w/ receipt. Sorry, can't sing along w/ our renowned TV Tea Money Chorus.

And that did make me aware of the signpost, the silliness of the rule, and the future annoyance and inconvenience I'd experience.

But this overpass isn't signposted and bikes are permitted, so what's the relevance of your assertion?

Were your previous 5000 posts also based on lies to ridicule other posters ?

post-219792-0-85381500-1409830196_thumb.

Looks like I'm rainin' on a parade here.

Edited by dBrown
  • Like 2

Were your previous 5000 posts also based on lies to ridicule other posters ?

attachicon.gif20140904_154720.jpg

Looks like I'm rainin' on a parade here.

Whoops, guess I'll have to avoid riding on that one, too. Bummer.