Bangkok taxis threaten higher fares

webfact

My wife was talking to a taxi driver .... Following the taxi drivers view.

Firstly they love using the meter for a very short trip..because the flag fall is a bigger portion of the fare. Once you want to travel across Bangkok they see that as a lost opportunity for turning over quick flag falls and aren't keen on the meter at all.

Secondly they will always try for an outrageous flat fare rate if they think they have a chance.

Thirdly many of them lease the taxi by the day..hence that have to pay the owner off before they start making any profit, so they will try anything to make a buck and. Obviously some are trying to keep the meter off so the boss doesn't know.

Personally I think the taxi drivers here do it pretty tough.

So at the moment it isn't ideal for the taxi drivers or the customers and the driver needs a higher rate to make a meter fare more acceptable.

Just my opinion. No need to agree :)

Just curious are taxi meters here in Thailand metered on distance , time or a combination of both . Last time I took a taxi in Australia I figured they must be metered on time because sitting at traffic lights ect the meter just kept ticking on and damn expensive . I will never complain about prices here after taking a taxi from the airport in Perth to an outer suburb after midnight a trip of about 45 minutes and the fare was $96 ( 3000 baht approx ) .

Newbies to LOS make always the same assumption that apples and pineapples are the same.

False analogy. Perth has a First World economy. Products and services are more expensive because salaries and remuneration in general are much higher than in a banana or Sontam republic for that matter.

Everything within its context is appropriate. To compare two different countries at different stages of development is a moot exercise in goodwill.

Do not let a sense of misguided guilt keep you silent.

Complain when yo are being ripped off here or in Conchinchina because if you don't, you will send the wrong message to the cabbies. As it is, there is a double pricing system in LOS: 1 for Farangs and another for Thais which, most of the time, is free of charge for them.

• Like 1

I don't mind if the taxi drivers make a little more actually. The reason why they don't want to pick people during a jam is because they can get stuck in one for a long time and only have a few baht going up in their meter.

I asked some Taxi Driver what they make per day and they were whining of only 1000-1500 Baht profit.

With a minimum salary of 300 Baht that is a lot.

Seriously, I asked one young driver along Sukhumvit, his main stomping grounds....he said he has a wife, 1 kid, and can only afford to go to the brothel twice a week! Not too bad an income I guess... guess he tells the Mrs. he is out with customers...

But many overlook the point that if they pick up people during extreme traffic jams, that meter just crawls, and they burn up gasoline- not turning much of a profit.

You must be a Bangkok Taxi driver!

Many times when I hail a Taxi in slow moving traffic the Driver tries to refuse the Fare - saying "Rot Dtit".

My Thai is quite good so, if I am in the mood, I will explain to them the rather obvious fact that they are already in a traffic jam - "burning up gasoline" as you say - however if he has a passenger (i.e. me!) he will at least be earning money while sitting there.

Rather amazingly this logic only seems to penetrate their minds on about 10% of the occasions.

Patrick

TSK, TSK. TSK !! When will Farangs start understanding Thainess.

There is no rational logic to Thainess. It's, as they say in Thai to justify everything: TRADITION.

They have used that thought process forever.. why would they change if so far that is known and safe territory to them?

I think they ought to raise fares, it has been long time since the last raise and the cost of living

has doubled, and in some case tripled it self since than, it's only fair that they the fares will be

adjusted accordingly...

When were they last raised ?

I don't have Thai inflation figures handy ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when i first came to Bangkok in 1996 it was the same as today: at 35 baht , so for more than 18 years it didn't increase , it is quiet amazing why it didn't increase ,

maybe one reason is that all taxis use gas now , compare to fuel back than , which reduces the cost

Edited by admiraldy

i would WELCOME taxi drivers' starting rate to move up to, say, 50 baht (from the current 35) plus a slightly higher per minute/km rate, PROVIDED they begin behave professionally : not first ask 'where you go?' to decide if they'll take you; automatically start the meter (rather than start it only if you insist). that would be a win/win for them and for us, the customers. perhaps a new challenge for the military government ? it will also boost tourism satisfaction and arrivals.

They have to ask because many have rented the Taxi and must return them in time or suffer the consequenses, as long as you can easily get by no problem. I know outside the larger cities the story are different :D

I travel a lot throughout the world and I find BKK taxi fares to be very cheap. Also, I think a driver should be able to choose which customers he wants to drive or not drive. If I were a driver that's what I'd want.

Yeah, I get a bit annoyed sometimes when a driver won't take me, but there's plenty more down the road and I'm inconvenienced very little. Definitely no need to take it as a personal insult and get all hissy about it.

But that being said, however, there are indeed some a__hole drivers who should be banned from driving. But even there, I'm ever so slowly trying to learn to just shine it on because my getting angry will never change it and I'm the one who suffers.

Edited by HerbalEd

I speak with a taxi driver, he told me somone have to rent taxi from a company and the price was 800bath, so they have to make 800bath before they can make som money, that`s why it`s different color, some taxi private, som taxi is rented.

I speak with a taxi driver, he told me somone have to rent taxi from a company and the price was 800bath, so they have to make 800bath before they can make som money, that`s why it`s different color, some taxi private, som taxi is rented.

800bath is the rent a day.

I travel a lot throughout the world and I find BKK taxi fares to be very cheap. Also, I think a driver should be able to choose which customers he wants to drive or not drive. If I were a driver that's what I'd want.

Yeah, I get a bit annoyed sometimes when a driver won't take me, but there's plenty more down the road and I'm inconvenienced very little. Definitely no need to take it as a personal insult and get all hissy about it.

But that being said, however, there are indeed some a__hole drivers who should be banned from driving. But even there, I'm ever so slowly trying to learn to just shine it on because my getting angry will never change it and I'm the one who suffers.

yes bangkok taxi is cheap, but another countries are to expensive.

Just curious are taxi meters here in Thailand metered on distance , time or a combination of both . Last time I took a taxi in Australia I figured they must be metered on time because sitting at traffic lights ect the meter just kept ticking on and damn expensive . I will never complain about prices here after taking a taxi from the airport in Perth to an outer suburb after midnight a trip of about 45 minutes and the fare was $96 ( 3000 baht approx ) .

Both. Sit in traffic long enough and you'll see the one; a flight from downtown to Swampy @ 120kph+ and you'll see the other.

You're right - fares are low in Bangkok. But that's one of Bangkok's claims to fame. Raise the fares significantly, and you're chipping away at the incentive to come. But then again, other things have been already doing some heavy chipping for many years now...

I don't mind if the taxi drivers make a little more actually. The reason why they don't want to pick people during a jam is because they can get stuck in one for a long time and only have a few baht going up in their meter.

People realise why they don't want to go. If that's the case, why become a taxi driver? Your job is to take people to their destination. They surely knew when they took the job that Bangkok has bad traffic.

Too many times they refuse journeys for foreigners and locals and actually get annoyed with you when your destination is not their desired choice. They mutter something in Thai at you and annoyingly wave you away. It's up to us where we want to go, not them. Why should I change my destination to suit them?

I've had drivers get annoyed with me because I want to go home not some dodgy place like Spicy or Climax. I've seen drivers refuse Thais because they'd rather pick up tourists than local Mr Somchai and his wife who are carrying bags of shopping and desperate to get home.

I'm all for them getting a rise because the fare is already cheap; however it's their actual job to provide a service to get people to their destination.

Imagine going into a shop and ordering a product and the assistant refuses to sell it to you because they want you to buy something else then get angry with you, wave you off and try another customer instead. That's what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I'm happy to pay a little more for Taxi's - been all over the world and Thailand has the cheapest meter taxi fares anywhere - try taking a Taxi from Narita to downtown Tokyo (yes I know they have a train) could cost you $150-$200............complainers, count your blessings coffee1.gif

I'm happy to pay a little more for Taxi's - been all over the world and Thailand has the cheapest meter taxi fares anywhere - try taking a Taxi from Narita to downtown Tokyo (yes I know they have a train) could cost you $150-$200............complainers, count your blessings coffee1.gif

You know, I somehow expect that taxis actually cost a little more to operate in Tokyo, don't ya' think? And while we're on the subject, that Tokyo driver's lunch tab probably runs a bit higher as well. And his bottle of asahi. And his fees. And his taxes. And his... (you get the picture) I don't even want to think about the rackets behind the Tokyo cabs! Now I know it's widely parroted, but I'm not totally convinced most Bangkok taxi drivers are actually being that badly & universally exploited. If they are, how come there seem to be so darned many of 'em doing it?