Risk of Re-entry denied At Mae Sai?

Later this month my double entry tourist visa is expiring. I'm on the first entry now and wish to exit and re-enter (using my 2nd entry) the day prior to expiration and receive another 60 day stamp, as I did when my previous tourist visa was expiring. I'm thinking to do this at Mae Sai (I live in CM).

I know that standard operating procedure would have in the recent past meant it's no problem, but I'm concerned because after the crackdown, it seems like people were getting denied at immigration with real tourist visas at some land crossings. And in my case, although I am not a true back-to-back tourist visa holder (when my last one ran out, I left the country for 12 days, entered on a 30 day stamp went to Vientiane and came back), I have been staying here legally the past 12+ months on tourist visas and 30 day entries combined (alternating).

It will be obvious to any immigration officer I have spent very little time outside of Thailand the past year. What is the risk of getting denied re-entry with these circumstances?

And I am asking for opinions on . . . is leaving the country for more than just a 1 hour border cross/re-enter, and actually departing for a few days by air and returning by air any more likely to be allowed back in for another 60 days? Does the airport arrival process lend itself to less scrutiny about how much time I've been here recently and how many tourist visas I've had?

Thanks

The reports I hear from Mae Sai is that the Thai officials carefully look over passports and explain to people that they should not go into Burma, they will not be let back in if they have a problem. They don't arrest them (even if they're have a egregious overstay), or create other problems -- they just discourage them from crossing into Burma.

Incredibility, I've heard reports of people who still go over, not understanding they won't be able to get back in (at least not immediately)

Edited by NancyL

Recent news. At least one time 2nd entry was denied. And it was not mistake cause they stamped first 2 month then changed to 1 month. I think it depends on officer from my more then 8 stamps in Mae Sai.

How long ago was that?

So it sounds like aside from the small risk of the above (one of my main concerns), most people think there won't be a problem entering by land?

Recent news. At least one time 2nd entry was denied. And it was not mistake cause they stamped first 2 month then changed to 1 month. I think it depends on officer from my more then 8 stamps in Mae Sai.

Did you have a valid tourist visa when you entered. It seems they allowed you to enter on a visa exempt entry. Perhaps because your visa had expired.

Did you have a valid tourist visa when you entered. It seems they allowed you to enter on a visa exempt entry. Perhaps because your visa had expired.

I'd be very curious to know the answer to that too. JohnD?

I don't know details. It was not me. Just saw message on facebook. Only know guy was not refused but after stamping for 2 month as normal they changed to one month for whatever reason. It was like 1-2 weeks ago.

BTW I myself activated successfully my 2nd entry in Mae Sai few days ago. Only was asked when check out to Myanmar "What are doing in Thailand?". Did not found anything but say truth "I live in Thailand or long stay" as it was obvious smile.png Officer was not much happy with answer but stamped me out. On entry back was not asked anything at all. Also read on facebook that no one have problems in Mae Sai with second entry.

Before it happend some conversation with officer in Mae Sai by phone from as I understand it really can be tricky to do just stamps in Mae Sai as before. With valid visa its more near 100% success rate as I know.

Good luck! smile.png

Thanks for the reply. I will probably also give the same answer if asked, but infer its my last time. I'll assume I'll be in the success rate bracket and see what happens. Seems a safe bet. Thanks again for all replies.

I don't know details. It was not me. Just saw message on facebook. Only know guy was not refused but after stamping for 2 month as normal they changed to one month for whatever reason. It was like 1-2 weeks ago.

BTW I myself activated successfully my 2nd entry in Mae Sai few days ago. Only was asked when check out to Myanmar "What are doing in Thailand?". Did not found anything but say truth "I live in Thailand or long stay" as it was obvious smile.png Officer was not much happy with answer but stamped me out. On entry back was not asked anything at all. Also read on facebook that no one have problems in Mae Sai with second entry.

Before it happend some conversation with officer in Mae Sai by phone from as I understand it really can be tricky to do just stamps in Mae Sai as before. With valid visa its more near 100% success rate as I know.

Good luck! smile.png