Changing retirement to marriage

I have been here for a number of years on a retirement extension for which I have always used the embassy letter method.

There is a possibility that I may not be able to use this method this year.

Instead, I will have to deposit the money in a bank account.

I will also be changing the reason for my visa extension from retirement to marriage to a Thai.

So my question is, would the 400,000 Bht need to be in the bank for 2 or 3 months prior to my application for the extension?

I think I know the answer, but I just need to check.

Thanks

Bear in mind, though, that 2 trips to your local immigration office will be necessary in the case of a marriage extension. The first to lodge your application & supporting docs when you'll receive a 30 days "under consideration" stamp. The second to be stamped in for the remaining extension period once the local powers-that-be have approved your application (local immigration offices don't have the necessary delegated authority to do this themselves on the spot).

Might be a material consideration if you live a long way from your immigration office. In any event, could you not use the "combination" method (monthly income + bank balance to cover any shortfall) of proving finances for a retirement extension? Although the bank balance element does not, in theory, need to be seasoned, recent reports on here suggest that some offices (in particular Chaengwattana Immigration) are now insisting on seasoning in practice.

Edited by OJAS

Many thanks for these replies.

It's just as well I asked because I was wrong. I assumed the money would need to be in the account for 3 months.

Just that do be clear UbonJoe, what you’re saying is that for every subsequent annual extension based on marriage the money only has to be in the bank for 2 months before the application is made. Have I got that right?

Thanks also OJAS

I may yet be able to use the “combination" method, but because of the time-frame I am keeping my options open and weighing up the alternatives.

My local immigration office is about 70 km away so it’s not too much of a burden.

With regard to the 30 days approval, I assume this is a one-off for the 1st application and doesn't happen in subsequent years. Is that correct?

On what grounds would they turn such an application down?

Edited by mrjohn

It is 2 months every year.

The 30 day under consideration period is every year not just the first year.

One thing you'll definitely need to bear in mind for the first year at any rate, though, is that you and your wife will probably be subject to an unannounced house visit from immigration officers during the "under consideration" period to check the validity of your marriage. They may also insist on speaking with a few of your neighbours as part of this process. And, to enable them to identify the location of your abode in relation to their office, you will probably be asked to provide a suitable hand-drawn map as part of your application.

The house visit is not unannounced. They will call and let you know when they are coming to be sure you will there.

They also don't always want to talk your neighbors.

The map is needed for every extension not just the first. No big deal to make a map. It just needs to be from the nearest main road or street.

If you can swing the combined method for retirement it will be much preferred by most immigration officers as it is then a local decision and immediate extension of stay. One visit each year instead of two and no need to have wife with you if she is ill or upset with you.

• Like 1