Tee Lor Su - 19 to 21 September

DualSportBiker

This route has some tracks on it, but they can be skirted if thick mud is not considered fun by all... only a few km in total just to add some flavour :)

The route to from MS to Umphang needs no explanation - there is only one choice and it's as good as it gets! Three climbs from 400 to 1,500m, 1,200 turns, and in the rainy season, plenty of gravel and sand in the apex to spice up the ride!

II2, I heard you like to ride hard. I am anticipating 5 hours to MS from Chaeng Wattana along what you can see are mainly back roads to avoid the straight and boring and Fortuners...

Sounds nice. I might join. Always wanted to do the umphang route.
I can confirm it when the time comes though. Those days are one of the busiest days of the year for me. Any route map?

This route has some tracks on it, but they can be skirted if thick mud is not considered fun by all... only a few km in total just to add some flavour smile.png

The route to from MS to Umphang needs no explanation - there is only one choice and it's as good as it gets! Three climbs from 400 to 1,500m, 1,200 turns, and in the rainy season, plenty of gravel and sand in the apex to spice up the ride!

II2, I heard you like to ride hard. I am anticipating 5 hours to MS from Chaeng Wattana along what you can see are mainly back roads to avoid the straight and boring and Fortuners...

I can confirm it when the time comes though. Those days are one of the busiest days of the year for me. Any route map?

yes, did mae sot road before. exciting!

a few kms of mud is not a problem as long as the mud is not deep!

i dont ride hard just normal, no worries and 5 hours is doable.

like to watch the scenery at times.

actually very interested on down mae sot through route 1090 but not sure how my bike fares on that road especially during rainy season.

we had a plan with dave boo to do that route but we couldnt. just dates did not work.

Edited by ll2

This route has some tracks on it, but they can be skirted if thick mud is not considered fun by all... only a few km in total just to add some flavour smile.png

yes, did mae sot road before. exciting!

a few kms of mud is not a problem as long as the mud is not deep!

i dont ride hard just normal, no worries and 5 hours is doable.

like to watch the scenery at times.

actually very interested on down mae sot through route 1090 but not sure how my bike fares on that road especially during rainy season.

Some consider it the tightest road in Thailand; lots of tight double apex bends with water run-offs with sand and gravel. I have not ridden enough mountain roads here to say it is the toughest, but it sure is the twistiest road I've ever taken. As for bike choice, IMHO, an upright position is going to be easier for the 114 km tight section, but the rest is not an issue.

I heard a rumour, on good authority, that the founder of Storm Academy took a sports bike and his girlfriend to TLS, but did not make it and had to turn back. Not sure how far he got, but the first 30 km of the tight section are pretty intense. However, I am far from accomplished and yet made it comfortably with 50 other GS some three years back... It is definitely a road to push in a few places, but enjoy the view for the rest.

The road from Tak to MS is fun, but it only takes 40 minutes - TLS is hours of steeper and deeper! If you can't make it, I'll do it solo with an extra dose of caution...

post-141207-0-10946300-1409830855_thumb.

• Like 1

I unfortunately will not be back in the Kingdom in time but wish you a fun safe trip. I do know where you are talking about turning off of the [108]...but I wouldn't recommend it. After the [1110] the roads are crap until you get down to the [1116] (which is still junk a lot of the way). Granted it's fun and has awesome scenery, but you will make really bad time on it and stress a street bike a lot.

I'd recommend taking the [3002] from Tak down to Kamphaeng Phet and cutting over on the [1116]. Follow that down to Khlong Lan. The [1072]/[3504] leg is boring, but you have to watch out where the [1072] splits off as that intersection always has rough pavement...will wake you up.

Also I wouldn't turn right at [3456] but go straight through towards Sawang Arom. Would get on the [3013] towards Thap Than and then the [3220] towards Uthai Thani. From Uthai, the [3265] to the ferry (a whole 5 baht!) and then you're at the [1] just outside of Chai Nat ready to hit the [340] back to Bangkok.

Another interesting road is the [3282] will save you a few km on your trip and add some nice vistas. Just be warned that towards the end there's ~3km stretch that is really "w" shaped. Caught me off-guard a couple of times where you can actually get air under your ass.

[3282] route suggestion.

Chai Nat route suggestion.

**edit**

You're looking at more than 5 hours from Mae Sot back down to BKK....

Edited by dave_boo
  • Like 1

I unfortunately will not be back in the Kingdom in time but wish you a fun safe trip. I do know where you are talking about turning off of the [108]...but I wouldn't recommend it. After the [1110] the roads are crap until you get down to the [1116] (which is still junk a lot of the way). Granted it's fun and has awesome scenery, but you will make really bad time on it and stress a street bike a lot.

I'd recommend taking the [3002] from Tak down to Kamphaeng Phet and cutting over on the [1116]. Follow that down to Khlong Lan. The [1072]/[3504] leg is boring, but you have to watch out where the [1072] splits off as that intersection always has rough pavement...will wake you up.

Also I wouldn't turn right at [3456] but go straight through towards Sawang Arom. Would get on the [3013] towards Thap Than and then the [3220] towards Uthai Thani. From Uthai, the [3265] to the ferry (a whole 5 baht!) and then you're at the [1] just outside of Chai Nat ready to hit the [340] back to Bangkok.

Another interesting road is the [3282] will save you a few km on your trip and add some nice vistas. Just be warned that towards the end there's ~3km stretch that is really "w" shaped. Caught me off-guard a couple of times where you can actually get air under your ass.

[3282] route suggestion.

Chai Nat route suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've run 'my' route half a dozen times and must confess, I like crap roads! Having said that, I am always looking for alternatives - that's what exploring and riding is to me.

Cheers.

I've run 'my' route half a dozen times and must confess, I like crap roads! Having said that, I am always looking for alternatives - that's what exploring and riding is to me.

Cheers.

You being on that big ole BMW can definitely handle it; I was making the recommendation above Khlong Lan based on the street bike possibly joining you.

Cutting through the western edge of Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani and Chai Nat I know like the back of my hand. Don't know your exact schedule, but I can recommend even more routes that are not as street bike friendly but really interesting.

I am pissed off I can't join as this type of ride is right up my lane even if it's a little 'short'.

• Like 2

I was hoping someone will mention visa run ride since I have to do too. But mine must be before Sep 18, and sadly I m not experienced enough for this kind of route, sounds tough.

I am not even a good rider and I made it from Nakhon Sawan to Umphang and back in a single day. That even included after dark rain from Kamphaeng Phet to the house.

Take your time and ride to your ability and it's fine.

• Like 1

my concern is not the bends or rough tough road but that time is the hardest time of the rainy season. did many harder routes

run offs, flood, mud etc might be impassable with a sport bike physically.

Edited by ll2

my concern is not the bends or rough road but that time is the hardest time of the rainy season. did many harder routes

run offs, flood, mud etc might be impassable with a sport bike.

You'll have issues from Tak onwards for that. Below Tak it's not such a problem.

Nebula, the route to Mae Sot is not tough, but it sure is fun and exciting. You do have to watch for awful driving - this guy would have killed me if I had not been on the ball (I still think I was too lax and late in my response...)

Shame about the timing - you could always meet up there... As for the TLS segment, hard to say if you should try it - only you know what your limits, but only testing them with stretch them :)

Cheers.

I was hoping someone will mention visa run ride since I have to do too. But mine must be before Sep 18, and sadly I m not experienced enough for this kind of route, sounds tough.

• Like 1

Cheers.

You being on that big ole BMW can definitely handle it; I was making the recommendation above Khlong Lan based on the street bike possibly joining you.

Cutting through the western edge of Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani and Chai Nat I know like the back of my hand. Don't know your exact schedule, but I can recommend even more routes that are not as street bike friendly but really interesting.

I am pissed off I can't join as this type of ride is right up my lane even if it's a little 'short'.

That Beemer is only a wee one! 650, not the full monty! The only old part is me! Not quite, but can feel that way after a day's ride!

I appreciate the input for dem sports bike riders. One suffers as best one can! tongue.png

Where are you based when out here? Maybe I'll pop up and we can discuss routes?

The collage above is from pics taken between MS and TLS.

oh sorry. somehow cannot see the images before. connection was bad or tv slow maybe.
no problems with a sport bike on these roads. looks OK to me as long as the bike can pass or no big holes on the road that can swallow a bike or a long trail/deep mud section.
thanks a lot! the scenery looks great! just hard rains worry me a bit.
Edited by ll2

That Beemer is only a wee one! 650, not the full monty! The only old part is me! Not quite, but can feel that way after a day's ride!

I appreciate the input for dem sports bike riders. One suffers as best one can! tongue.png

Where are you based when out here? Maybe I'll pop up and we can discuss routes?

Bigger than my baby CB500X!

I am exactly 1/2 between your start point and Mae Sot near Huai Kha Khaeng on the weekends. During the week, when I am in the Kingdom, I am in Nakhon Sawan proper. Unfortunately now is one of those times I am not there.

II2: you figured it out yet? I am prepping my bike and locking down way-points...

dualsportbiker, i have to check my schedule on monday. nowadays quite busy and my schedule changes often. will inform you latest tuesday.

I have sent you a PM to you already.

Thanks for the offer. I just programmed my GPS...

I am pretty familiar with the route from Suphan to Khlong Lan - I've done this run 6-8 times now, so I change it a little for variety, but it is basically straight north from Don Chedi. My fuel range fits well with two pits stops just about when the fuel light comes on.

Cheers :)

dualsportbiker...you have a rough idea of which way you want to go? I'd be glad to give some pointers for the northern central provinces.

Massive anti-climax!

My clutch died on me 80km from Bkk at the first turn off the main road at Suphanburi. Six hours later I got to Barcelona and dropped it off for them to fix! Now I have to drive my Series IIa to Mae Sot at no more than 80kp/h!

oh man. sorry to hear that. hope it did not lock the rear tire.

a dead clutch on a bmw dual sport sounds surreal! what is wrong with makers nowadays?