cheapo 3g phones for tethering to laptop?

jaideeguy

When my adsl TOT fails me [which is more and more often] I will tether my Samsung smart phone with DTAC as a backup for data. Slow, but does the trick.

The downside is that it ties up my main phone and I was wondering about buying one of the cheapo 3g phones that are available at 7-11 and everywhere for under 1,000thb. Will they be capable of tethering and have the same speed as my Samsung??

Thanks in advance.............

Edited by jaideeguy

There might be a few 'feature phones' that would let you cable tether to a PC, but you really need to know what to look for.

Easier to find a cheap Android or Windows phones that can to cable tether, or be a Mobile/Portable Hotspot (3G Internet share to WiFi or Bluetooth devices).

The buzwords to look for are Tether, Hotspot, Personal Hotspot

Another options is purchasing either an Aircard (USB 3G stick) or a dedicated pocket Hotspot device, a quick way to get online with a 3G SIM, though these can't be used as a phone.

D-Link%203G%20HSUPA%20USB%20Adapter%20%2Huawei%203G%20Pocket%20WiFi%20Router.jpg

Take a close look at the specs of the device. GPRS / EDGE / UMTS / HSdPA / HSPA / HSPA+ / LTE will define the speed and connection capabilities of the device (listed slowest to fastest). Some devices are hardware limited to 3.6, 7.2,mpbs speeds while others can use 42 mbps or greater (LTE).

And make sure it is capable of using the Frequency of your mobile carrier 3G/4G network (usually 850/1800/2100 bands)

I saw True's version of the aircard and the wifi hotspot [1,400thb] and both were locked to True of course.

Is it possible to get an unlocked version of the wifi hotspot, because the carriers often change their quality of service and it would be great to simply change the sim from True to DTAC if needed.

I saw True's version of the aircard and the wifi hotspot [1,400thb] and both were locked to True of course.

Is it possible to get an unlocked version of the wifi hotspot, because the carriers often change their quality of service and it would be great to simply change the sim from True to DTAC if needed.

Just find one that isn't carrier branded.

You need to discover the manufacturer and model number. They can often be unlocked cheaply, for as little as 50 baht or less.

Which is it? http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/shopping/14

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/1595?ln=en

This is the model that the True kiosk had on offer for 1,490thb, but it clearly states that it is locked to True and reading the plans offered, I didn't find any that were over 5gb/mo. I need a bit more if possible and the dodos at True couldn't tell me if they had any prepaid plans and/or what the cost is.

And, Where do I go to get it unlocked [for 50baht]??

Edited by jaideeguy

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/1595?ln=en

This is the model that the True kiosk had on offer for 1,490thb, but it clearly states that it is locked to True and reading the plans offered, I didn't find any that were over 5gb/mo. I need a bit more if possible and the dodos at True couldn't tell me if they had any prepaid plans and/or what the cost is.

And, Where do I go to get it unlocked [for 50baht]??

That is the ZTE MF65.

ZTE are generally more problematic(to unlock) than Huawei.

See here for free options.

DC Unlocker costs 350 baht.

Total Aircard claim to unlock for 200 baht. Though I guess you'll need to visit Bangkok for that...or at least send by registered post from wherever you may be.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

There might be a few 'feature phones' that would let you cable tether to a PC, but you really need to know what to look for.

Easier to find a cheap Android or Windows phones that can to cable tether, or be a Mobile/Portable Hotspot (3G Internet share to WiFi or Bluetooth devices).

The buzwords to look for are Tether, Hotspot, Personal Hotspot

Another options is purchasing either an Aircard (USB 3G stick) or a dedicated pocket Hotspot device, a quick way to get online with a 3G SIM, though these can't be used as a phone.

D-Link%203G%20HSUPA%20USB%20Adapter%20%2Huawei%203G%20Pocket%20WiFi%20Router.jpg

Take a close look at the specs of the device. GPRS / EDGE / UMTS / HSdPA / HSPA / HSPA+ / LTE will define the speed and connection capabilities of the device (listed slowest to fastest). Some devices are hardware limited to 3.6, 7.2,mpbs speeds while others can use 42 mbps or greater (LTE).

And make sure it is capable of using the Frequency of your mobile carrier 3G/4G network (usually 850/1800/2100 bands)

Yes aircard or similar device. I use an AIS 3G Pocket WiFi 21.6 device (made by ZTE). It is more than an aircard as it will support several devices at the same time... with no tether. I believe a tether can be used - but why bother? ... The cost is a bout 1500 Baht for the device and the monthly service can be anyone of the packages. I use it a lot and had been buying the 799 Baht package -- but recently went to the 499 Baht package and possible could go lower. By the way -- it works absolutely GREAT! Supports my phone - even while walking or riding a motorcycle... And at home I use it for my Laptop and phone at the same time ... I have had 3 devices connected at one time - worked well. The Admin interface is via a web browser and http://192.168.x.x It will even hold a SD card for storage and can send / receive SMS -- the AIS notifications go to the device and can be read. It also has an interface to check data usage and to pay the monthly fee

• 2 weeks later...

I have determined that DTAC has the best signal in our area, where it will have it's most use and I have decided that the personal pocket wifi hotspot is the best way for me to go.

Have searched all over DTAC's website to see if they offer one, but couldn't confirm. Can anyone else answer if they have one??

Also have researched the personal wifi hotspots and have determined that Huawei e5 series gets the best ratings, but can't locate one of those [unlocked preferably]??

I have been using my antique samsung to tether to DTAC, but it gets quite hot while working and I don't think that's good for it.

Sheesh...just get on with it will ya?

If you want cheap, get the TRUE model and unlock it or get Total Aircard to unlock it or just pay more for a Huawei model, unlocked or otherwise.

True uses the same frequencies as DTAC; 850/2100. DTAC aren't currently selling MiFi. So you'll have to find an old one if you don't want to unlock or pay for unlocking.

The cheapest Huawei model is 2000 baht. http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/3G-Router/3G-Mobile-MiFi/

But this Verizon Jetpack 890L 3G 42Mbps Mobile Hotspot(ZTE) for 1790 baht claims to have 4G LTE capability. Though I would not depend on the 4G capability working in Thailand, it might be of use when you go to the USA. Either way 3G should work.

So perhaps just what you need.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Tried to edit and add the following questions..............

Does a personal wifi hotspot boost the signal any better than a phone tethered wifi??

"phone tethered wifi" is an oxymoron, but the term is used to mean the same as Personal WiFi HotSpot.

Tethering (cabled connection) used to mean connecting a cable to access a second device's internal wireless 'modem'. Unfortunately the terms 'Tether' and 'Modem' are improperly carried forward into today's tech speak.

"Creating your own Personal WiFi Hotspot" is a better descriptive of what you do when you share your 3G Internet Connection via it's connected WiFi Radio to other devices (or other users).

No, as it's the same thing, it doesn't boost or better the signal.

Tried to edit and add the following questions..............

Does a personal wifi hotspot boost the signal any better than a phone tethered wifi??

and I just found on Walmart this cool little gadget...............http://www.walmart.com/ip/21054280

TP-LINK TL-MR3040 N150 Portable Battery-Powered 3G/4G Wireless Router

and? That has nowhere to place a SIM. It is for those with Huawei USB modems with no WiFi capability.

JJ..............Tried the link to totalaircard and idiots were answering the phone, so I called the wife to my rescue and she said same same.................idiots

Anyway, I tried and failed. That verizon did look like it would do the trick.

We were out today and stopped by Chi Chang, our local IT shop and they had this http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dwr-730-portable-hspa-plus-21-mbps-router

for 2,100thb and it seems unlocked/unbranded and has all the bells and whistles that I might need. A little bit more expensive and only 21 mb speed, but local support if there are any issues.

What's your humble opinion on this gadget??

Thanks for your expertise..................

and pardon the dummy in me.

Edited by jaideeguy

JJ..............Tried the link to totalaircard and idiots were answering the phone, so I called the wife to my rescue and she said same same.................idiots

Anyway, I tried and failed. That verizon did look like it would do the trick.

We were out today and stopped by Chi Chang, our local IT shop and they had this http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dwr-730-portable-hspa-plus-21-mbps-router

for 2,100thb and it seems unlocked/unbranded and has all the bells and whistles that I might need. A little bit more expensive and only 21 mb speed, but local support if there are any issues.

What's your humble opinion on this gadget??

Thanks for your expertise..................

and pardon the dummy in me.

I haven't seen any negative reviews. My only reservation would be that I couldn't find a spare battery for it online. With the ZTE/Huawei models, it is relatively easy to find generic batteries.

I like to carry a spare battery just in case.

Aside from the battery issue [and I'll check on that], the only thing lacking is the 4G capacity, but we may never get 4G out in the sticks where I live. The battery issue could be dealt with by plugging to laptop or a battery bank.

BTW JJ, have you dealt with that company 'totalaircard' ??

Aside from the battery issue [and I'll check on that], the only thing lacking is the 4G capacity, but we may never get 4G out in the sticks where I live. The battery issue could be dealt with by plugging to laptop or a battery bank.

Some mifi units do NOT charge when on.. best to check!

I've read that someone here picked something up from their place at either Panthip or MBK, can't remeember exactly.

I know that you can charge it in other ways. I just like to have a spare battery at hand. Other than that, it looks fine, as long as you are happy with the price.

can you use a normal USB wall charger to plug the 3g stick into and have wifi for the whole room ?

can you use a normal USB wall charger to plug the 3g stick into and have wifi for the whole room ?

I don't think so as it uses software that it puts on your laptop. If you want that you need a MIFI.