The best ex-pat community in Thailand.

infinity11

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Infinity, I''ve only been in BKK 10 months and Chiang Mai 3 months now. I can echo the frustration felt by many regarding many farangs' lack of willingness to engage with other unknown farangs. But I tend to be friendly and outgoing, so maybe I miss it more than most. I've felt the same in some American towns.

Seaside living in Thailand is difficult IMO, due to really bad overdevelopment. if there are any nice places left where you can live, those who know don't tell. I can't speak about expat communities there.

That said:

I like Bangkok for all the reasons you said, but I got frustrated with the hot, dirty air.

I like Chiang Mai a lot, for air quality, cooler nights, nearby mountains and views, less congestion, cheaper rent, and its overall friendlier and more open vibe.

I dislike Chiang Mai because tourism seems the only industry, thus it's "soak the farang" at every turn, I think more than BKK, where it was more business-as-usual. Street food is not quite as good, but about the same price as BKK.

Expat communities can be found I am sure. I haven't found but also haven't looked very hard.

Good luck!

Infinity, I''ve only been in BKK 10 months and Chiang Mai 3 months now. I can echo the frustration felt by many regarding many farangs' lack of willingness to engage with other unknown farangs. But I tend to be friendly and outgoing, so maybe I miss it more than most. I've felt the same in some American towns.

Seaside living in Thailand is difficult IMO, due to really bad overdevelopment. if there are any nice places left where you can live, those who know don't tell. I can't speak about expat communities there.

That said:

I like Bangkok for all the reasons you said, but I got frustrated with the hot, dirty air.

I like Chiang Mai a lot, for air quality, cooler nights, nearby mountains and views, less congestion, cheaper rent, and its overall friendlier and more open vibe.

I dislike Chiang Mai because tourism seems the only industry, thus it's "soak the farang" at every turn, I think more than BKK, where it was more business-as-usual. Street food is not quite as good, but about the same price as BKK.

Expat communities can be found I am sure. I haven't found but also haven't looked very hard.

Good luck!

Re air quality in cm Wait until March.

You sound very judgmental, with possible anger management issues.

Not a particularly insightful reply, but, I play squash 3 times per week in Jomtien with a group of expats; a bigger bunch of c*nts you could not wish to meet. Anti-social, self-obsessed, egotistical. I own a bar on the East Side and the varied and disparate groups that come in are some of the nicest people I've ever met; friendly, helpful, funny, generous. To a degree it depends on you, what you can make from the people that surround you. Except the squash players in Jomtien; there's no helping them. W*nkers.

Edited by boigla

Chanthaburi and Trat from my experience are the most pleasant environments.

Bangkok is fine, but I just don't like the traffic and hustle and bustle these days. Air quality over here is great, and the cost of living is still relatively cheap.

If the OP doesn't like the Brits he's met in Pattaya, he should meet some of the ones who stayed-home, or were rejected as being too lo-so for Thailand's greener-shores. sad.png

But hey, everybody is an individual, and you've got to take them as such & give 'em a chance, until you know them ! smile.png

For an expat-community, I've always thought the Chiang Rai mob seemed a very decent & individualistic lot, going by ThaiVisa ? wai2.gif

Chiang Rai, very nice people i met there on my first trip there from Pattaya. I was riding my motorbike around looking for a room, and saw a group of Westerners sitting at a shop selling sausages etc. I stopped by and was made very welcome, beer and some free snacks along with good directions. For a first time meeting, great!

• Like 1

Don't diagnose..

Chaing Mai has good broadband..I miss it.

Wide streets sounds nice..uncrowded..clean air..wherever...

My email from that International mag. online shows me that the reason to 'friend' expats is to

find out how to avoid many mistakes through shared EXperience..this forum is great for that..VR..

But a next door neighbor can sure be a God send.

Aloha, boys..keep up the good work.. girls too..!!

I think it is best to live on your own.But I have met some great ex-pats in Thailand.Always cheerful and happy.Look at ThaiVisa,as soon as an ex-pat asks for advice the Forum is packed with sensible,informative posters keen to give advice.

• Like 1

I wouldn't believe too much of what beetlejuice has to say, 2 weeks ago in another forum he said he was a video store owner on koh tao, now he says he lives in Chiang Mai, long old journey to work there beetle!

It is strange how these "nasty old Brits" almost colonised the world to make it into a better place.

It is strange how the whole world is trying to immigrate to live with these"nasty old Brits"in Britain

It is strange how these "nasty old Brits"invented almost everything from the jet engine to television.

It is strange how everyone wants to speak English the language of these "nasty old Brits"

Maybe the world would be a better place if we had more of these"nasty old Brits."

I already attempted to mend the error of my ways.

Thank you for the opportunity to add: some of the best music EVER, some of the best actors, AND perhaps the most descriptive language on the planet.

In all fairness i can continue to praise the virtues of the English culture and history, wish i knew more about their literature, i imagine it's the best!

Don't diagnose..

Chaing Mai has good broadband..I miss it.

Wide streets sounds nice..uncrowded..clean air..wherever...

My email from that International mag. online shows me that the reason to 'friend' expats is to

find out how to avoid many mistakes through shared EXperience..this forum is great for that..VR..

But a next door neighbor can sure be a God send.

Aloha, boys..keep up the good work.. girls too..!!

Interesting reply.

The very first line, spot on!

• 2 weeks later...

an after thought:

so i said something maybe not so nice with the word brits in it (zero malice intended) and the TV brigade comes out in full force

but my multiple posts explaining why i said it, apologizing and praising the virtues of said brits and little or nothing

are TV people as unforgiving (and negative) as it appears?

Edited by infinity11