The best ex-pat community in Thailand.

infinity11

I want to clarify something and maybe make some peace here if at all possible.
I mean absolutely no offense and i could be wrong.
It could also be just me, my imagination, coincidence, their culture, thery are drunk or i am simply off:
I have noticed on a number of occasions how quick to get angry and show it the Brits (in pattaya (and thailand maybe)) might be.
I do not notice this as much with other cultures but i have noticed many thais in pattaya now copy this behavior.
Again, no offense meant, and i could be way off course, it's simply something i noticed on a number of occasions.
I know this does not go over well on TV because the majority of expats in thailand are probably still british but perhaps some friendly light can be shed.

If not that, i hope to make peace here.

If i am wrong, again, i apologize and please, as you were.
(sorry for the typo in OP but i think you all got it)

thanks all once again

I do have one theory but not yet ready to say, better someone else says it.

If you care to continue this topic the question is: Where are the expats MOST friendly in Thailand?

If there is such a thing.

(mods feel free to change the subject/topic title to such)

Edited by infinity11

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saving the best for last ---- there are a lot of special inerest groups from computers to music to gardening where like minded people do get together and share a common interest - from there friendships may be forged.....

I used to belong to some of these groups, but they were d_amned hard work.

Now I just put my headphone on and go cycling on my own for 50Km.

• Like 1

It could also be just me, my imagination, coincidence, their culture, thery are drunk or i am simply off:

I have noticed on a number of occasions how quick to get angry and show it the Brits (in pattaya (and thailand maybe)) might be.

I do not notice this as much with other cultures but i have noticed many thais in pattaya now copy this behavior.

Again, no offense meant, and i could be way off course, it's simply something i noticed on a number of occasions.

I know this does not go over well on TV because the majority of expats in thailand are probably still british but perhaps some friendly light can be shed.

thanks all once again

If you care to continue this topic the question is: Where are the expats MOST friendly in Thailand?

I see your point but would explain that the Thai Visa community will point out the reverse; as any positive comments about Thailand or expats who live here are taboo I think.

My advice would be to ask where are the worst places for an expat to live and then go wherever in Thailand is not mentioned.

• Like 1

thanks all once again

I see your point but would explain that the Thai Visa community will point out the reverse; as any positive comments about Thailand or expats who live here are taboo I think.

My advice would be to ask where are the worst places for an expat to live and then go wherever in Thailand is not mentioned.

In my opinion you are an arse licking child of the worst kind who can not withstand others opinions <deleted>.

Most likely Scotish...

Naah, the fact he uses the term "Brits" leads me to believe the OP is a colonial cousin

If he was Scottish....he would be referring to the "English c**t's" laugh.png

and if he was aussie they would be bloody poms/pommies, who calls them "Brits"?

• Like 1

Op, best you move back Stateside where there are doubtless many like-minded individuals for you to be cosy-up with. Your comments are typical of many of you guys in that little bubble of yours, who often mistake humour for antagonism/criticism. There is indeed the worst type of Brits here (as with other nationalities, Thailand draws them in for some reason), but you'll have to stand in line as we're everywhere and universally despised... whatever. Live with it.

For the benefit of other, less bigoted people, I don't think you will find the type of cosy community you crave. As above, there is a different breed of expat in Thailand. Of Chiang Mai, I personally think it has had its day. It was good 10-20 years ago, but is now overrun with expats and a little bit weird and busy.

• Like 1

OP sounds like a judgemental bigot

The OP sounds like a real bag of fun at parties, of course one suspects the only ones he is invited to attend would be the balloon variety

Definitely an whinger full of self entitlement, got to be an overstayer for definite..

I don't know, I wouldn't be so hard on him. There are stuffy, grumpy old Brits, and there are certainly unsociable Russians. He's not saying they all are, just that there's a concentration of them in the places he's mentioned.

My city would be hard pressed to raise 100 farang in total, and this is the 3rd largest city in Thailand, yet some of the Brits are certainly grumpy and old, and the few Russians I've come across....well, just by the loud and aggressive way they were treating the shop staff, I wouldn't want to know them.

Just yesterday, I was beside a fellow farang on the Big C travelator.....farang being so scarce here, and we were travel companions for a minute, I smiled and said "G'day"....he snubbed me completely. Took him to be a Brit with his sandals and shorts and pasty white clean-shaved face.

Why would someone not even say hello? Unless he was just some pervert sexpat that was too embarrassed to meet someone who would guess what he was?

• Like 2

Doesn't matter where you live I mix with the people I like just like I did back in the UK I have Australian German and American friends as for the others who cares?

Spot on. I have Pommie, Convict, Yank and a few european friends who i mix with. Nothing different than back home

Most likely Scotish...

Naah, the fact he uses the term "Brits" leads me to believe the OP is a colonial cousin

OP is from the USA, as you can guess by the spelling of some of the words he used in his former posts. Moreover, it is stated here, for instance: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/664303-people-talking-in-cinemas-during-movies-what-to-do/page-3#entry6771737

As for the 'best ex-pat community in Thailand', there is not such a thing as it greatly depends on your personal tastes and on how you interact with other expats. There are great and bad people everywhere, not only in this country, but all around the world. I am quite happy in Udon Thani province, but it might not have been my first choice of residence in the LOS at an earlier stage in my life. It would not be my first choice nowadays if my Thai language skills were non existent.

OP sounds like a judgemental bigot

The OP sounds like a real bag of fun at parties, of course one suspects the only ones he is invited to attend would be the balloon variety

Definitely an whinger full of self entitlement, got to be an overstayer for definite..

I don't know, I wouldn't be so hard on him. There are stuffy, grumpy old Brits, and there are certainly unsociable Russians. He's not saying they all are, just that there's a concentration of them in the places he's mentioned.

My city would be hard pressed to raise 100 farang in total, and this is the 3rd largest city in Thailand, yet some of the Brits are certainly grumpy and old, and the few Russians I've come across....well, just by the loud and aggressive way they were treating the shop staff, I wouldn't want to know them.

Just yesterday, I was beside a fellow farang on the Big C travelator.....farang being so scarce here, and we were travel companions for a minute, I smiled and said "G'day"....he snubbed me completely. Took him to be a Brit with his sandals and shorts and pasty white clean-shaved face.

Why would someone not even say hello? Unless he was just some pervert sexpat that was too embarrassed to meet someone who would guess what he was?

I DID say G'day back.... Ear problem?.....again....wait on, I wasnt in BigC that day..cheesy.gif

Most likely Scotish...

I assume you mean the Scottish. Because he dislikes the British? You do understand they are British, right? Although I've known quite a few Brits who had little complimentary to say about their fellows so if we're thinking along those lines I'd hardly limit it to the Scots or even just the Northern Hemisphere.

As to " scotish" that appears to have a decidedly kinky meaning if the internet is to be believed.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Scotish%20snorkel

I certainly find it odd that the O/P is interested in locating in an expat community (shudder), but to express an interest and then state that the usual assortment of whiners/whingers aren't his cup of tea seems to mean his quest is defeated from the start. Best to stay away from them entirely and only occasionally mingle with them at shopping malls, sex tourist venues and McDonald's.

Edited by Suradit69

Most likely Scotish...

and if he was aussie they would be bloody poms/pommies, who calls them "Brits"?

North Americans- sometimes go to one of the expat clubs in Pattaya- ( good breakfast and some interesting talks ) large percentage are American- we are always referred to as Brits.

I live in Rayong city. Been there three years. I really like living here. We have a decent bunch of expats that drink in two main bars, Y-33 and Wizards. It's a mix of guys that work in Mataput and teachers. There's a fair few live down the beach at PMY who drink down that area, i only ventured down there once myself, it was ok.

• Like 1