Its Official! Thai Bashing explained

AYJAYDEE

Reading the research document rather than the Buzzfeed article, Britain/Great Britain/GB is only mentioned once, whereas Buzzfeed's headline suggests it's a British "problem" in particular. They could just as easily have headlined "Americans/Germans/Italians/Japanese/Russians have grumpiness in their genes" but maybe they have some agenda ....

The conclusion of the document suggests that 'low % "short gene" --> high satisfaction'.

Looking at Figure AIII on p.50 of the document, it seems to show - and I'm no statistician or researcher, just someone who's had to analyse data in graphs in my working life - that Denmark, Britain, US, NZ, Austria, Germany, France, Russia & other Europeans all hover around 40-45% of the population having the "short gene", which is apparently related to satisfaction, with "satisfaction ratings" varying from 11-52%. The span of "satisfaction" relates to 40% having the "short gene" in Denmark (52% satisfaction) & 48% in Italy (11% satisfaction).

While Denmark is acknowledged as one of the happiest countries - although Mexico has higher "satisfaction" but also a higher population percentage with "short gene", which seems to go against the general opinion of the document - Italy is apparently the unhappiest in Western Europe, according to the document.

US/GB/Netherlands/France/NZ are all around 44% of population with "short gene" and "satisfaction" of 29/27/26/19/42% respectively - quite a wide range for similar "short gene" populations.

Taiwan, Japan, China, Singapore & Korea top the "low satisfaction/high short gene percentage" league so I guess Thai bashing is prevalent on Thai-Japanese forums.

Although not part of the data set, I wonder whether Thailand would score on a similar level to other Asian countries? Are Thais like Chinese/Koreans in their character? I don't know any Japanese/Koreans to be able to make that assessment.

As I said, Im no statistician but the perspective presented by Buzzfeed doesn't seem to stand-up to scrutiny.

Brit-bashing time, OP?

Just got to love Thai Visa for the "Lets bash another nationality" stuff for any excuse whilst also not being racist of course, merely hateful towards others.

Lots more comments to follow, more vitriol and more justification for such nastiness.towards others.

All Brits are, All Americans are etc etc etc

I'm sure some people are disposed to be more critical but people that have been here for a few years (0-5) or the habitusl longstayers have no right to judge those that have been here for decades.

Goes further for the retired, pensioned git who has nothing but time and money on his hands. No Thai wife or kids..

Things are not getting better nor even staying the same on a number of levels.

Obviously the author didn't bother to read the report and how much nonsense it contains.

what are your qualications that you can judge the report to be nonsense?

I don't have any qualications. However, I did work as a researcher for Nobel laureate Paul Chu. And, as a researcher for my Dads' law firm and others. Also, I am able to comprehend the English language.

...... "Middle Class" Social Climbing Brits have a complete absence of this gene.

If you accept this research, a complete absence of the "short gene" would make them the "most satisfied" people in the world. I'm sure that's the opposite of what you really meant to say.

IME, "Middle Class Social Climbing Brits" are a miserable bunch but probably no more miserable than similar people (of whom I have very little experience) the world over - Canadian, Australian, Chinese, whatever.

• Like 1

Obviously the author didn't bother to read the report and how much nonsense it contains.

what are your qualications that you can judge the report to be nonsense?

I don't have any qualications. However, I did work as a researcher for Nobel laureate Paul Chu. And, as a researcher for my Dads' law firm and others. Also, I am able to comprehend the English language.

Like you said, no relevant qualifications. Just as I thought.

I'd rather be here with Thais than in most other country's I've lived our worked in. I think some people are jaded and have lost patience.

I think you either adopt the Thai mai pen rai attitude or the place ultimately drives you nuts... Hence all the grumpy BM's...