The best ex-pat community in Thailand.

infinity11

Not a particularly insightful reply, but, I play squash 3 times per week in Jomtien with a group of expats; a bigger bunch of c*nts you could not wish to meet. Anti-social, self-obsessed, egotistical. I own a bar on the East Side and the varied and disparate groups that come in are some of the nicest people I've ever met; friendly, helpful, funny, generous. To a degree it depends on you, what you can make from the people that surround you. Except the squash players in Jomtien; there's no helping them. W*nkers.

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a particularly insightful reply, but, I play squash 3 times per week in Jomtien with a group of expats; a bigger bunch of c*nts you could not wish to meet. Anti-social, self-obsessed, egotistical. I own a bar on the East Side and the varied and disparate groups that come in are some of the nicest people I've ever met; friendly, helpful, funny, generous. To a degree it depends on you, what you can make from the people that surround you. Except the squash players in Jomtien; there's no helping them. W*nkers.

when one of them or their friends read this, you wont have to worry about playin squash with them again

• Like 1

No matter who you are or where your go, you make your own community life. Besides, one usually has no more than a handful of truly close friends outside of family, the rest are window dressing social acquaintances or good-for-business 'pals' and/or professional 'associates'.

Seems people are looking for some kind of communal identity marker (gang) and/or sympathy for shared sins rather than companionship. We're in Thailand because our homes lacked something the Thais still have. What is it? Genuine human values not yet completely divoced from nature and family bonds, despite their dispicable hypocrisy, which one finds everywhere the white man has imposed his culture so effectively that other groups blindly follow him into the no-man's land of relativism and monetized fantasy.

I've found that rural communities where people still farm have the best orientation towards meeting human challenges and hence, tend to stay away from people who are drunk on urbane pretentiousness. Simple is always best. As for caucasion-like fellowship: on occassion I meet a sober white man who's found himself here and is not looking over his shoulder ... very occasionally ... and I welcome the company but am always happy to retire to the confines of my Thai wife's care and my own concerns. Don't wish to be burdened by the society I left because of its arrogant posture and foolish destruction of the world, self and others with its White-Man-Burden civilizing protocols submitted to pure greed; which, apparently, is contagious.

So, if you find yourself day-after-day uselessly chatting over too much coffee, Western cousine and an expanding waistline or up-to-the-gills boozers, you haven't really left the West or truly entered Thailand. Perhaps you need an ex-pat's club to help you project the insanity of repeating the same mistakes, or maybe you're just an unconscious colonizer.

But if you need true companionship without the trappings of 'home'...let it happen, don't go looking for it because you're likely to only find a long lost unwanted relative seeking sympathy for the devil at the expense of what is under your right hand. - oz

bravo!!!

• Like 2

The happiest expats in Thailand are those who are comfortable spending long periods in their own company.

This is probably the wisest and most concise post I have read on TV or anywhere else.

I came to the same conclusion some years ago and have never looked back.

• Like 2

The happiest expats in Thailand are those who are comfortable spending long periods in their own company.

This is probably the wisest and most concise post I have read on TV or anywhere else.

I came to the same conclusion some years ago and have never looked back.

Have met smokie who is a splendid chap.

• Like 1

OP sounds like a judgemental bigot

The OP sounds like a real bag of fun at parties, of course one suspects the only ones he is invited to attend would be the balloon variety

Definitely an whinger full of self entitlement, got to be an overstayer for definite..

I don't know, I wouldn't be so hard on him. There are stuffy, grumpy old Brits, and there are certainly unsociable Russians. He's not saying they all are, just that there's a concentration of them in the places he's mentioned.

My city would be hard pressed to raise 100 farang in total, and this is the 3rd largest city in Thailand, yet some of the Brits are certainly grumpy and old, and the few Russians I've come across....well, just by the loud and aggressive way they were treating the shop staff, I wouldn't want to know them.

Just yesterday, I was beside a fellow farang on the Big C travelator.....farang being so scarce here, and we were travel companions for a minute, I smiled and said "G'day"....he snubbed me completely. Took him to be a Brit with his sandals and shorts and pasty white clean-shaved face.

Why would someone not even say hello? Unless he was just some pervert sexpat that was too embarrassed to meet someone who would guess what he was?

does a brit really smiles at all ??

Typical response from Farangs in Thailand. One in five hundred MAY respond, but no more than that. Most of them will avert their eyes and slink past as if they have something to hide.

when one of them or their friends read this, you wont have to worry about playin squash with them again

You used to play squash 3 times a week with Jomtien expats you mean.

No matter who you are or where your go, you make your own community life. Besides, one usually has no more than a handful of truly close friends outside of family, the rest are window dressing social acquaintances or good-for-business 'pals' and/or professional 'associates'.

Seems people are looking for some kind of communal identity marker (gang) and/or sympathy for shared sins rather than companionship. We're in Thailand because our homes lacked something the Thais still have. What is it? Genuine human values not yet completely divoced from nature and family bonds, despite their dispicable hypocrisy, which one finds everywhere the white man has imposed his culture so effectively that other groups blindly follow him into the no-man's land of relativism and monetized fantasy.

I've found that rural communities where people still farm have the best orientation towards meeting human challenges and hence, tend to stay away from people who are drunk on urbane pretentiousness. Simple is always best. As for caucasion-like fellowship: on occassion I meet a sober white man who's found himself here and is not looking over his shoulder ... very occasionally ... and I welcome the company but am always happy to retire to the confines of my Thai wife's care and my own concerns. Don't wish to be burdened by the society I left because of its arrogant posture and foolish destruction of the world, self and others with its White-Man-Burden civilizing protocols submitted to pure greed; which, apparently, is contagious.

So, if you find yourself day-after-day uselessly chatting over too much coffee, Western cousine and an expanding waistline or up-to-the-gills boozers, you haven't really left the West or truly entered Thailand. Perhaps you need an ex-pat's club to help you project the insanity of repeating the same mistakes, or maybe you're just an unconscious colonizer.

But if you need true companionship without the trappings of 'home'...let it happen, don't go looking for it because you're likely to only find a long lost unwanted relative seeking sympathy for the devil at the expense of what is under your right hand. - oz

bravo!!!

Great writing!

I lived in Bangkok for several years and loved it, but the traffic and pollution ground me down after a while. I still love the city and go there whenever the mood takes me, but I always feel a slight sense of relief when I leave to go home.

I tried living in Hua Hin for a few months, nice enough place but it just seemed like an over priced Pattaya except in Hua Hin everybody knows your business in a few days - it's just too small for me. Expats wise seemed clicky but wasn't really there long enough to really judge it

I also lived in Chiang Mai for 2 months and to be honest loved it, the Thai's there were great and the expats I met were quality. But the nighlife sucked. I will buy a condo there in the next couple of years, it's like going to a different country when you arrive at the airport there, super chilled and great climate apart from the burning months.

Lived on Samui and Phuket for a year each many years ago, fun back then when Thailand was new to me, but <deleted> living on a island in this country, the locals are just wrong.

I ended up choosing Jomtien as the place best suited to my needs. If you don't use baht buses the only time you see Russians is in Foodmart and they keep themselves to themselves. I love to play pool and there are 3 good quality pool leagues in Jomtien, hundreds of restaurants to choose from and decent internet. I hate central and East Pattaya but Jomtien is different, and there a fair few decent expats are around once you get to know the lay of the land. Grumpy Brit coffin dodgers are an issue (I'm British) but you can just ignore them - they don't want to communicate most of the time anyway, just moan about stuff.

For me Chiang Mai has the best expats, but needs another 10 years or so to sort out the pollution and liven up the nightlife a bit. Jomtien currently is fun and has a good group of people if you have a way of getting to know them - for me that's the pool leagues.

Tom.

Agree Tom, very chilled out place, the ruskies have gone and some nice guys there

I have nothing against your posts so I will answer.

Is there anywhere that you would like to be?

Seems to me, you find a fault with everywhere you have been.

You don't like the British, you don't like the Russians.

What about the Greeks? Any good to you?

I can't understand, how do you expect other people to help you.

I do believe you have to help yourself and stop being so choosy.

The expat life in LOS is not for free. When people are paying their way, with "their" own earnest money, they have the RIGHT to be as choosy, as they wish, without being criticized for being so.

He wasn't stating a dislike for either the Brits, or the Russians. Just the historical facts. Perhaps, Costas2008, had you ever learned how to actually READ the English language, then you would have Capiched, what the bloke was conveying. Instead, here you are again, with your usual contentious point of view about EVERYTHINGcoffee1.gif

depence on your age. if you below 60 Cha Am is certainly not for you to look for a expat community.or you do it like me: i stay with my wife and the dogs ( and soon the baby) and the rest of the world can kiss my > deleted<.

dam'n i am a grumpy "young"man

Be Russian smart in Thailand. Keep only the dogscoffee1.gif

I have nothing against your posts so I will answer.

Is there anywhere that you would like to be?

Seems to me, you find a fault with everywhere you have been.

You don't like the British, you don't like the Russians.

What about the Greeks? Any good to you?

I can't understand, how do you expect other people to help you.

I do believe you have to help yourself and stop being so choosy.

The expat life in LOS is not for free. When people are paying their way, with "their" own earnest money, they have the RIGHT to be as choosy, as they wish, without being criticized for being so.

He wasn't stating a dislike for either the Brits, or the Russians. Just the historical facts. Perhaps, Costas2008, had you ever learned how to actually READ the English language, then you would have Capiched, what the bloke was conveying. Instead, here you are again, with your usual contentious point of view about EVERYTHINGcoffee1.gif

"Pattaya i find very friendly and not so interesting, a lot of russians that prefer to keep to themselves and old nasty brtis."

I think it's you that has a problem reading and understanding English.

You haven't Capiched a thing of what you read.

But it's always time for you, keep learning English and one day, may be, you will be as good as me.

Go to bed now, too late for the kids staying awake.

I've never found it difficult to make friends in Thailand. I think this is because I'm very approachable and open minded

I am British but have made friends with several Americans, Irish, Australians as well as fellow Britons

I am not one of the drinking community and just like to meet up in restaurants or fast food outlets or back at my home and put the World to rights

Not inclined towards ex- pat clubs but I'm sure they can be useful in making acquaintances

Just don't write off any nationalty, even Russians. I think the language is the main barrier to making friends with Russians, but I have developed both male and female Russian acquaintances

Lots of British guys can be a pain in the backside I'm sorry to say, but sensible ones can be found if you are patient

In Pattaya the expat community is more divided into countries I believe.

We have a big Norwegian expat community here , with a Norwegian church , restaurants and bars only for Norwegians. I don't like these places at all since I prefer to mix with other people and nationalities. So I would prefer a mixed expat community, but hard to find in Pattaya.

Pray tell... What exactly is a norwegian church ? a Viking thing ?... praying to Oden and Thor ? tongue.png

No, then it would have been a viking church I guess.

This is the Norwegian seaman church located between Pattaya and Jomtien. Look for the Norwegian flag. Danes and Swedes are also welcome. I'm not very religious but the church is a good place to meet and discuss anything.

Just like any Sanctimonious organization that bows to a higher power.

Op, best you move back Stateside where there are doubtless many like-minded individuals for you to be cosy-up with. Your comments are typical of many of you guys in that little bubble of yours, who often mistake humour for antagonism/criticism. There is indeed the worst type of Brits here (as with other nationalities, Thailand draws them in for some reason), but you'll have to stand in line as we're everywhere and universally despised... whatever. Live with it.

For the benefit of other, less bigoted people, I don't think you will find the type of cosy community you crave. As above, there is a different breed of expat in Thailand. Of Chiang Mai, I personally think it has had its day. It was good 10-20 years ago, but is now overrun with expats and a little bit weird and busy.

i did actually and often notice many attempts at humor at the expense or weakness of another, must be cultural, male or both?

I want to clarify something and maybe make some peace here if at all possible.

I mean absolutely no offense and i could be wrong.

It could also be just me, my imagination, coincidence, their culture, thery are drunk or i am simply off:

I have noticed on a number of occasions how quick to get angry and show it the Brits (in pattaya (and thailand maybe)) might be.

I do not notice this as much with other cultures but i have noticed many thais in pattaya now copy this behavior.

Again, no offense meant, and i could be way off course, it's simply something i noticed on a number of occasions.

I know this does not go over well on TV because the majority of expats in thailand are probably still british but perhaps some friendly light can be shed.

If not that, i hope to make peace here.

If i am wrong, again, i apologize and please, as you were.

(sorry for the typo in OP but i think you all got it)

thanks all once again

I do have one theory but not yet ready to say, better someone else says it.

If you care to continue this topic the question is: Where are the expats MOST friendly in Thailand?

If there is such a thing.

(mods feel free to change the subject/topic title to such)

I see your point but would explain that the Thai Visa community will point out the reverse; as any positive comments about Thailand or expats who live here are taboo I think.

My advice would be to ask where are the worst places for an expat to live and then go wherever in Thailand is not mentioned.

Too easy!

I have found the Chiang Mai expat community a little "odd". Hermit type characters that don't fit in anywhere else.

I don`t think Chiang Mai is exclusive in having it`s weird ex-pats, as there are oddballs in all the regions of Thailand, but probably having different oddball traits according to their habitat.

Agree that Chiang Mai has it`s hermit type characters that don't fit in anywhere else. See them everywhere, at the supermarkets, post offices and so on.

As far as fitting in goes... Did I we migrate to Thailand to fit in with other foreigners? No way I came here to make my wife more comfortable ( now a citizen of my home country) and try to fit in with her family and enjoy the lower cost of living expenses while being able to travel and also entertain my true friends and family from home and other countries who visit. Life for me goes on as it has always done before; it is just that I am now a little farther away from where I normally used to be found. When I meet other expats while out shopping a simple nod of my head to them I give and all I expect is nothing or the same in return. I am always open to approach as that is my nature.

• Like 1

I lived in Bangkok for several years and loved it, but the traffic and pollution ground me down after a while. I still love the city and go there whenever the mood takes me, but I always feel a slight sense of relief when I leave to go home.

I tried living in Hua Hin for a few months, nice enough place but it just seemed like an over priced Pattaya except in Hua Hin everybody knows your business in a few days - it's just too small for me. Expats wise seemed clicky but wasn't really there long enough to really judge it

I also lived in Chiang Mai for 2 months and to be honest loved it, the Thai's there were great and the expats I met were quality. But the nighlife sucked. I will buy a condo there in the next couple of years, it's like going to a different country when you arrive at the airport there, super chilled and great climate apart from the burning months.

Lived on Samui and Phuket for a year each many years ago, fun back then when Thailand was new to me, but <deleted> living on a island in this country, the locals are just wrong.

I ended up choosing Jomtien as the place best suited to my needs. If you don't use baht buses the only time you see Russians is in Foodmart and they keep themselves to themselves. I love to play pool and there are 3 good quality pool leagues in Jomtien, hundreds of restaurants to choose from and decent internet. I hate central and East Pattaya but Jomtien is different, and there a fair few decent expats are around once you get to know the lay of the land. Grumpy Brit coffin dodgers are an issue (I'm British) but you can just ignore them - they don't want to communicate most of the time anyway, just moan about stuff.

For me Chiang Mai has the best expats, but needs another 10 years or so to sort out the pollution and liven up the nightlife a bit. Jomtien currently is fun and has a good group of people if you have a way of getting to know them - for me that's the pool leagues.

Tom.

Very nice response thank you; what's wrong with the locals on the islands?

OP seems spot on. Agree on all points, haven't found a better place than Bangkok yet.

Lampang city is beautiful; wide clean streets, university and all the amenities one would want. That is if you don't give a hoot about trying to fit in with expats.giggle.gifcrazy.gif

It is strange how these "nasty old Brits" almost colonised the world to make it into a better place.

It is strange how the whole world is trying to immigrate to live with these"nasty old Brits"in Britain

It is strange how these "nasty old Brits"invented almost everything from the jet engine to television.

It is strange how everyone wants to speak English the language of these "nasty old Brits"

Maybe the world would be a better place if we had more of these"nasty old Brits."

I already attempted to mend the error of my ways.

Thank you for the opportunity to add: some of the best music EVER, some of the best actors, AND perhaps the most descriptive language on the planet.

I've met a great bunch of expats in Chum Phae who frequent Bens Bar.

KK has a decent bunch also at the Blues Bar.

Like I said, us Aussies just get along with all of them. Lifes to short not to.

KK?

Khon Kaen.

If the initials like that are used, just think city.

I could count my true friends on one hand. One I've known since I was 3 or 4 years old, and our parents were friends. His dad was our family doctor. Now he's a retired heart surgeon and we'd do anything for each other.

The "newest" of my true friends I met in 1970 when I was a banker. We hit it off, stuck as friends, and I talked to him on the phone yesterday.

I have a lot of friendly acquaintances, but very few true friends.