Medics at fault in botched Oklahoma execution

webfact

Medics at fault in botched Oklahoma execution

(BBC) -- A report into a botched execution in Oklahoma in April has found medical staff failed to place and monitor an intravenous line properly.

Clayton Lockett, 38, died 43 minutes after he was given a lethal drug.

The Oklahoma governor ordered an independent review into the case after witnesses said they saw Lockett writhing and gasping for air.

There had been concerns about the effectiveness of a new cocktail of drugs used in the execution.

Lockett was sentenced to death on 20 April for the 1999 shooting of Stephanie Nieman, 19, and for watching as two accomplices buried her alive.

His execution was stopped after 20 minutes after witnesses saw him writhing and mumbling words.

A ruptured vein was discovered and Lockett subsequently died of a heart attack soon afterwards.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29072384

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-05

Humane executions for convicted criminals are too easy a way out. In fact, all criminals should be executed in the same manner(s) as their victims. Just my opinion.

An "eye for an eye" philosophy is so old hat...., done away with anciently and replaced with a philosophy of love, rehabilitation and forgiveness and continued by a large portion of the globe.

You will possibly not feel the same when a dog runs our in front of your vehicle and whilst you swerve to avoid the dog, you wipe out a roadside stall complete with baby asleep beneath!

But you are quite entitled to your view along with the youngest of the three (or four if you include the House of Israel) oldest surviving universal religions.....

beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Humane executions for convicted criminals are too easy a way out. In fact, all criminals should be executed in the same manner(s) as their victims. Just my opinion.

An "eye for an eye" philosophy is so old hat...., done away with anciently and replaced with a philosophy of love, rehabilitation and forgiveness and continued by a large portion of the globe.

You will possibly not feel the same when a dog runs our in front of your vehicle and whilst you swerve to avoid the dog, you wipe out a roadside stall complete with baby asleep beneath!

But you are quite entitled to your view along with the youngest of the three (or four if you include the House of Israel) oldest surviving universal religions.....

beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

An accident versus a heinous crime with intent. Not the same. The philosophy of love, rehabilitation, and forgiveness is nice on paper but doesn't really exist (although I wish it did) in the real world.

• Like 1

While I'm all for a 'humane' way of executing someone, I think this guy got what he deserved. I mean burying someone alive?!?! Wow justice is served if he suffered.

I am struggling to understand why a large calibre bullet to the back of the head is inhumane, granted messy, but not inhumane

Very messy indeed. Think of the people that have to go in there and look at it and clean it up. Not much fun I would have guess. In a lot of cases the people charged with carrying out the execution actually live side by side together for years in a harmonious inmate / corrections officer relationship. Shot to the back of the head is bad for morale.

That said I am sure that there would be certain elements in the military SF world that would find good use for them as a training add. And wouldn't lose a winks sleep over it. thumbsup.gif

Edited by coma

While I'm all for a 'humane' way of executing someone, I think this guy got what he deserved. I mean burying someone alive?!?! Wow justice is served if he suffered.

I am struggling to understand why a large calibre bullet to the back of the head is inhumane, granted messy, but not inhumane

Very messy indeed. Think of the people that have to go in there and look at it and clean it up.

Put a big sheet of plastic on the floor. Haven't you ever watched Dexter?

• Like 1

The medical staff should be given medals.

Why?

Apparently for being incompetent!

Yes the guy is certainly dead, but the sentence was death, not torture followed by death. The torture was unsanctioned and hence illegal and a travesty. We are some years beyond hung, drawn and quartered.

I am in favor of sending the vicious criminals to North Korea for rehabilitation etc

Why?

Yes the guy is certainly dead, but the sentence was death, not torture followed by death. The torture was unsanctioned and hence illegal and a travesty. We are some years beyond hung, drawn and quartered.

A bleeding heart liberal is crying for a nasty bastard. I am in favor of roasting on an open fire until "cooked"

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy
  • Like 2

Why?

A bleeding heart liberal is crying for a nasty bastard. I am in favor of roasting on an open fire until "cooked"

I don't feel the 'justice system' is about being sadistic.

You don't know me.

• Like 1

Oh, the problem with quality control and assurance on executions.

How long is too long?

I believe there were people who actually lived through the electric chair and then were re-executed later. The Supreme Court decided that executing someone twice was not cruel and unusual punishment.

Cruel it might not be, but unusual it definitely is.