Pattaya officials given time to clean up beach, but military is watching

Rimmer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can military or anyone else expect Pattaya City to undertake a long over due clean-up of Pattaya Beach when they are too busy holding press conferences on Waterfront. This is a building which the Mayor admits has all the necessary permits, does not contravene height restrictions and the developer has been open and transparent. Construction has been suspended.

Where is the press conference and blaze of publicity on the big Pattaya clean-up, don't talk about action. Jetski scams, over supply of beaach umbrella ( a real eyesore not to mention the scams they use), rats on the promenade, street prostitution (I have nothing against prostitution, but not in your face on the streets). Then there is Walking Street. Maybe the structures on the sea side are legal; maybe not, but for sure the extentions onto the beach are not. Have they been forced to suspend operation?

Is the fuss over Waterfront designed to divert attention from other problems which City Hall cannot or will not deal with? Don't expect action any time soon.

• Like 2

Pattaya will have to follow the same path as Phuket. If not there will be many people questioning why Phuket and not Pattaya. I would guess we will see some real action in the very near future.

You might be right. I meant no action by City Hall. At least the Mayor can say he is cleaning up Pattaya - look at Waterfront.

Phuket is probably a much deeper dump than Pattaya is. And Pattaya is a real cash cow for many BKK people, too.

A little more delicate to handle this place. And hopefully they just keep it as it is, but theft and robberies.

• Like 1

How can military or anyone else expect Pattaya City to undertake a long over due clean-up of Pattaya Beach when they are too busy holding press conferences on Waterfront. This is a building which the Mayor admits has all the necessary permits, does not contravene height restrictions and the developer has been open and transparent. Construction has been suspended.

Where is the press conference and blaze of publicity on the big Pattaya clean-up, don't talk about action. Jetski scams, over supply of beaach umbrella ( a real eyesore not to mention the scams they use), rats on the promenade, street prostitution (I have nothing against prostitution, but not in your face on the streets). Then there is Walking Street. Maybe the structures on the sea side are legal; maybe not, but for sure the extentions onto the beach are not. Have they been forced to suspend operation?

Is the fuss over Waterfront designed to divert attention from other problems which City Hall cannot or will not deal with? Don't expect action any time soon.

Are you certain of your assertions?

The law is clear on the maximum size of the footprint of buildings withing the construction control zone - 75% must be open and uncovered. Since this a 2 rai (3,200 SqM) plot, the maximum footprint should be 800 square meters. I don't have access to the architectural documents, but it certainly looks like more than that from the photos I have seen.

They may well have permits, but if those permits were issued in error, then the developers may well be in trouble given the enforcement vigor that the military government has brought to the table.

• Like 2

Interesting the way the military seems to have backed off Pattaya unlike Phuket where they steamed in head first

yes this was the tipping point for me

when Pattaya gets cleaned up then we know where the real power is

I was hoping for some of the buildings to be torn down for being to closed to the beach

Are you certain of your assertions?

The law is clear on the maximum size of the footprint of buildings withing the construction control zone - 75% must be open and uncovered. Since this a 2 rai (3,200 SqM) plot, the maximum footprint should be 800 square meters. I don't have access to the architectural documents, but it certainly looks like more than that from the photos I have seen.

They may well have permits, but if those permits were issued in error, then the developers may well be in trouble given the enforcement vigor that the military government has brought to the table.

I was referring to what the Mayor said. If he was wrong then City and Provincial governments have a lot to answer for, not to mention pay for.

This thread is not about Waterfront. Mainly I was referring to double standards in enforcement by using the Waterfront example.

whats the big deal about the buildings on the beach, are people really wanting to go sunbathing there or what? sure they should have a council organized sewage system instead of straight into the sea but walking street will lose a lot of business if one side of it disappears

I see no changes with the umbrellas or jetski scams so far, its going to take more then talk to change them as the past has proven many times

Edited by slygeeza

whats the big deal about the buildings on the beach, are people really wanting to go sunbathing there or what? sure they should have a council organized sewage system instead of straight into the sea but walking street will lose a lot of business if one side of it disappears

You might have a point. If they cleared the illegal buildings over the beach there would be more room for umbrellas and jet ski scams.

• Like 2

as a point of interest, there is an area of beach between the end of walking st and bali hai that has been allowed to return to its natural state, which is vegetation down to the high tide line, its quite interesting to visit but the point is that that area is not a natural sandy beach made for beach goers

I fail to see how all of these changes will increase tourism. People who visit Pattaya are not going there to enjoy fine beaches and scenery whatever they do to the beach it will never qualify. Pattaya will never lose it's reputation and will never attract family oriented tourism in any numbers. It is what it is. However in saying that the cleanup involving the removal of threats such as ladyboy hassle, bag snatchers etc is surely a good thing for all. I just don't see why the authorities would expect any huge increase in tourism as a result. In fact when they go too far (and they will) by getting rid of all the gogo bars and severely restricting beer bar activities there will be surely a dramatic decrease in visitors. These missing visitors will never be replaced with families, there are just too many nice alternative places to holiday.

Den

• Like 2

Phuket is probably a much deeper dump than Pattaya is. And Pattaya is a real cash cow for many BKK people, too.

A little more delicate to handle this place. And hopefully they just keep it as it is, but theft and robberies.

Phuket is not a deeper or worse dump than Pattaya. Apart from parts of Patong there are many fantastic areas of beauty and interest. But from the tone of your post I'm guessing you're mainly there for the slags as you want to keep it as it is except for the theft and robberies. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why it's good for the army to bulldoze beach bars and restaurants in Phuket but not Pattaya?

Interesting the way the military seems to have backed off Pattaya unlike Phuket where they steamed in head first

Maybe they realise there is no point......Pattaya is a lost cause?

I certainly hope so

They really ought to cut the family destination <deleted> and make Pattaya a special administration area with it's own rules. The Sin City #1 it deserves to be.

If they take the umbrellas away from Jomthien, you won't see me there. We usually go with 6-10 people, get a table, eat and drink while the kids go playing in the sea. Can't be arsed to have any picnic thingy.

And I'm sure you will be sadly missed

Me and the hordes from BKK who come for exactly the same thing. Make it a deserted beach and that's exactly what it will be.

Last night at sunset, myself and a friend took a walk on the beach side of Beach Road from Central Festival to Soi 13/4.

Rats in the sand were scampering about - in twos, threes and in literal families, as they dined on the waste left scattered about or conveniently placed in plastic baskets by the beach chair concessionaires.

The larger ones left designs in the sand, made by their fat tails, as they roamed freely and oblivious to our nearby presence.

Some local folks reclined on their straw mats, apparently unconcerned that these four-legged scavengers were within arms reach, or that their tom yam condiments may have inadvertently included rats droppings, urine and fleas.

Rats and other vermin are an unavoidable consequence of human habitation, as is the garbage that is a byproduct of our numbers.

Perhaps the TAT brochures that depict Pattaya and Jomtien as sun drenched destinations, should include disclaimers that the rats are indeed Pattaya cats, and that there is no need to be concerned by their numbers.

Edited by Benmart

Hey did you forget its Pattaya? Clean up the beaches and streets. Don't forget this what initially brings Foreigners in to Thailand. Make it safe. Pattaya should not be for families. It was designed for US Serviceman on R&R. Pattaya serves a purpose in the world.

• Like 1