Location on google maps without GPS or WiFi?

ChristianPFC

(i-mobile IQ 6 bought July 2013, Android 4.1.1)

Sometimes I get my location on googlemaps without switching on GPS or WiFi, probably from connection to network tower. I like this feature very much, it is fast and usually sufficient for my purpposes (the location is a large circle with several 100 m incertainty, but usually quite precise).

Unfortunately, this (location without GPS or WiFi) stopped working a few weeks ago. Is there a setting on my mobile or does it change with update?

Now I would have to switch on GPS and WiFi and wait (minutes, often longer), which is impracticable in most circumstances I need location.

How can I enable location from connection to network tower?

Android API uses GPS, Cell-ID, and Wi-Fi MAC to provide a clue to users location.

While GPS (or aGPS) can provide the phone app a precise location (± time-base error offset), Cell-ID and WiFi MAC require live lookup to a database containing filed and contributed data to return with coordinates. Sometimes updates or garbled info in the returned data causes abort errors when the device attempts to determine fresh vs stale data points.

Try clearing the Google Services cache: APPS / ALL /

Google Services Framework, and

Network Location

Clear Data

You will need to re-enable Location Services (usually opening Google Maps will prompt this)

Google apps location setting -> ON

Location Access (button):

Access to my location -> ON

GPS satellites -> |X|

Wi-Fi & mobile network location -> |X|

Also, there's been an ongoing issue where 2G networks work fine but newer 3G network won't. Unknown what the issue here is, though some carriers don't like to file the Lat/Long of their tower locations.

So try setting your phone to 2G, or 2G/3G and see what happens.

Edited by RichCor