Authentication of UK Wedding Certificate by British Embassy

You do a self certification that your marriage certificate is valid by doing a statement.

Next you have it and your marriage certificate translated and then have them certified at the MFA. The translation service can get the MFA certification done for you.

Then you go to a Amphoe to register your marriage. They will issue a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that you will need at immigration to get an extension of stay based upon marriage.

If you only want a visa from an embassy or consulate they will accept your UK marriage certificate.

You do a self certification that your marriage certificate is valid by doing a statement.

Next you have it and your marriage certificate translated and then have them certified at the MFA. The translation service can get the MFA certification done for you.

Then you go to a Amphoe to register your marriage. They will issue a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that you will need at immigration to get an extension of stay based upon marriage.

If you only want a visa from an embassy or consulate they will accept your UK marriage certificate.

Surely the certification would need an Embassy stamp to be accepted by MFA.

I understand all the other requirements but not clear on what I need to get from the Embassy.

Anyone who has done this recently as I believe the system changes from time to time? The Embassy website isn't clear either

I was married earlier this year

The procedure is to self generate a form based around detail found on the British Embassy website.

Took this completed form to Bangkok

It was signed by an embassy official and duly stamped.

( I asked the official if the data which I had submitted was cross checked.

She said ‘Yes’ but on a random basis.

I took this to mean No!)

The 2nd stage was handled by an agent (literally a man hanging about outside the embassy).

His service involved translation and then obtaining authentication from a government dept.( Reading this post I now know it was the MFA)

I received all the documentation by post after 2/3 days

The following Monday I took all the data to my local Amphur.

They confirmed that all was well.

Arrived for the big day 2 days later(Wednesday). They advised that the data was not correct (my passport number was incorrect)

The lady at the Amphur said ‘No problem ‘

All that I had to do was to ‘Cross her palm with silver’.

That I did.

The wedding procedure occurred on the Friday.

Knowing what I now know -my starting point would be the lady at the Amphur.

Edited by Delight

I understand all the other requirements but not clear on what I need to get from the Embassy.

Anyone who has done this recently as I believe the system changes from time to time? The Embassy website isn't clear either

You will have a embassy stamp on the statement you do for the self certification. These are accepted by the Amphoe.

You can look here under "Administering an oath or affirmation" on this page and send an email to the embassy to get the template for the self certification. https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

The MFA will only be certifying the translations and the consular officers name/signature on the statement.

You will have a embassy stamp on the statement you do for the self certification. These are accepted by the Amphoe.

You can look here under "Administering an oath or affirmation" on this page and send an email to the embassy to get the template for the self certification. https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

The MFA will only be certifying the translations and the consular officers name/signature on the statement.

Now all is clear, thanks for your help.

I hope this is also useful for others with a similar problem

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now all is clear, thanks for your help.

I hope this is also useful for others with a similar problem

You can take the translated documents to the MFA yourself but most ppl just pay the translators to do it. By the way the translators all crowd outside the notaries office and approach you as you leave so negotiate a good price.

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded the appropriate forms. I can easily complete the affidavit myself though I do find it ridiculous that the Embassy doesn't do this for you. A thought on the affidavit - should I include the number of my girlfriend's ID card when I prepare it?

Alan

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded the appropriate forms. I can easily complete the affidavit myself though I do find it ridiculous that the Embassy doesn't do this for you. A thought on the affidavit - should I include the number of my girlfriend's ID card when I prepare it?

Alan

It seems you are doing an affirmation of marital status. I don't see anywhere on it where you put anything about your intended bride.