30 day waiver extension granted after 11yr overstay

I flew out from swampy to KL I had to sign a lot of paperwork both on exit and return. Came on Visa exempt but explained that I was easy for marriage docs to be sorted oiy. I paid 20k overstay fine. My stamps were transfered into may new passport at airport.

Edited by gilo

A 30 day extension on a visa exempt is the norm now, (it came into effect 29 August). The harsher rules for overstayers are not yet being enforced, (as you found out when you left the country). So essentially your experience is no shock and no news, just what will continue to happen until the new overstay laws are passed.

Yes thanks for posting but as you did this last month prior to the overstay rules being enforced (not sure if currently or not) someone doing this now might have a totally different experience - like getting a 5 year ban

Not yet, banning still await approval.

For what it's worth when I was leaving the overstay desk at Suvarnabhumi having signed two sets of notifications (one stating a 10 year ban and the other one being the lifetime ban) I asked as to when they would become operational to be told simply "in the future', They did not seem to have a specific date already authorised, which perhaps supports Ubonjoe's opinion that it will need cabinet approval. However for those who are overstaying it would be inadvisable to needlessly delay. As some may recall in late July it seemed as if it had come in and suddenly things became significantly more difficult to clear up until it settled down again as the order was not supposed to be in force.Without formally calling it an amnesty period, in practice that currently seems to be the case. It is very generous of them to allow this and I wouldn't want to be caught on an overstay once it does get approval as I would imagine that they would reasonably expect over-stayers to legalise their status in the kingdom during this period and they may therefore take a dim view of those who do not use this window of leniency.

I have found immigration officials to be friendly , courteous and professional. The original poster is correct -dress neatly and treat Immigration officials with respect. Ask questions and ask for help. Thai immigration has made my stay here easier. I am not afraid of authority as i have nothing to hide.

Yes thanks for posting but as you did this last month prior to the overstay rules being enforced (not sure if currently or not) someone doing this now might have a totally different experience - like getting a 5 year ban

Won't happen. They're desperately scrapping around for tourists from anywhere and many expats are already leaving. What with the country being under a military dictatorship, footage of beach vendors manhandling those having the temerity to sit on their own towel doing the global rounds, they can do with less negative publicity. And throwing people out of the kingdom would be the coup de gras.

Regardless of certain posters thoughts on the aforesaid. The perception is already out there.

• Like 1