Thailand’s No 2 policeman 'impressed' with Phuket anti-crime drive

Lite Beer

Thailand’s No 2 policeman 'impressed' with Phuket anti-crime drive
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1410010539_1-org.jpg

Gen Aek (left) with Gen Krajang and Gen Paween today.

PHUKET: Thailand’s No 2 policeman, Pol Gen Aek Angsananont, Deputy Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, was in Phuket today (September 6) to check on the work of his officers in cleaning up crime on the island.

“I am delighted with their work,” he said. “They have almost completed amassing all evidence in these cases.”

Rebutting criticisms made by the lawyer for one of the main targets of the investigation, Preechawut “Prap” Keesin, that using a 1927 law forbidding Ang Yi (Chinese Triad gangs) was inappropriate in the case of the eight people from Pisona Co arrested recently, Gen Aek pointed put that the law had never been repealed.

“It’s still in force. We would not charge people with this if the courts would not accept it.”

In any case, he said, further charges will be brought against the Pisona eight, who include former Patong Mayor Pian Keesin.

Asked how long it will be before the arrests result in court hearings, he said, “We have set deadlines by which all cases must be sent to prosecutor. Yes, there is an overload of cases right now so police from Region 8 [in Surat Thani] must support this.”

Asked how many cases will make it through to the prosecutor’s office, he said all of them would. “All cases (which are in warrant of arrested) must be prosecuted.”

Gen Paween gave details: “All 13 cases [involving the 83 people arrested] will be prosecuted. There are four types: The tuk-tuk mob blockage of the roads [in Patong on March 3], intimidation by rental car owners, intimidation by members of the Baansuan Resort Taxi Group, and the Ang Yi activities of the Pisona Group.

“I can confirm that all our evidence is very strong. Other charges [for the Pisona eight] will be revealed soon.”

Gen Aek added, “We are not doing this smear the suspects. We have evidence. We are using facts.

“Because some of the suspects are political people, they are using social media [and a recent press conference] to spread their side of the case. But we are confident that we are doing the best we can for the country. If we do not, [these activities] may affect Phuket province like a cancer.”

Asked if he had given any advice to the anti-crime task force, he said, “In my experience planning is crucial. A simple example is getting arrest warrants and executing them, which takes planning so that other officials are all involved.”

Would the anti-mafia drive be expanded to other parts of Phuket? “Lt Gen Panya [Mamen, Commissioner of Region 8] has already laid out his policy to Maj Gen Krajang [suwannarat, currently in charge of Phuket Police] and Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin [head of the task force]. Every part of Phuket must be free of crime.”

Asked how police can ensure that mafia activity does not return, Gen Aek replied, “It is very clear that the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) wants the people of Phuket to be proud of the reorganisation of Kata and Karon Beaches.

“This has been highly appreciated. But if people do not care, how can the police do their work? Ordinary people should come forward voluntarily as witnesses [against criminal activity].”

He added, “On many occasions police themselves have been accused of being involved [in mafia crime]. All officers have been told by the commander that they must not be involved [with criminal groups].

“The community must be stronger against crime. That includes the media. You know the truth. You must help us. You must make people proud. Phuket people have to help each other. We are ready to use the law to protect Phuket to maintain tourism.”

Asked about action against government officials who have been supporting influential people, he replied, “I have insisted that the commander [Gen Krajang] ensure that all officials work within the law. Tell me what you know and we will punish [such officials] severely.”

Asked about foreigners who use Thai nominees to carry on business illegally, he said, “As I have already said, if we find someone culpable we will follow the law.”

He repeated, “I am impressed with the results of this suppression drive. We will do our best.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thailand%E2%80%99s-no-2-policeman-impressed-with-phuket-anti-crime-drive-48601.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-06

He added, “On many occasions police themselves have been accused of being involved [in mafia crime]. All officers have been told by the commander that they must not be involved [with criminal groups].

Do you mean they did not know they could not be involved in maffia and crime acts ????

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

i see a great future for thailand, being a hub for building more prisons .. preferable, one per village

and put in all the crooks,scammers, drug dealers, rapists, killers, stabbers, shooters and shady policemen & politicians

Yeah, right and I was impressed that almost all the money in my wallet last night is still there .Sure he's impressed with HIS system but wouldn't it be nice if his bosses, ( those who pay his lavish salary ), the Thai citizens, were equally "impressed" !

In closing I am very "impressed" with myself !

Impressed ! There is little to be impressed about and a lot to be ashamed off. It would be nice if just for a change officials in this country would stop patting themselves on the back until they have credible and tangible results with sustainability. That's what they are paid for rather than mouthing off about how impressed he was that they had turned up and stayed awake. This is nothing more than pure propaganda with little substance unless he is impressed with the fact that they are at last, actually doing their jobs

The dog is just out of the gate and there is a very long way to go before you can start saying that you are impressed. Constant reinforcement in the face of failure is for kindergarten teachers, not law enforcement.