Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

Maybe the Northern Irish are staying quiet and hoping you don't send your nuclear sub's there?

Thames estuary is looking more and more likely!

They are staying put along with the 8000+ jobs at Faslane.

No where else for it to go unless you want to scrap it and join the Russian Federation.

If the vote is YES there is a strong likelihood you are wrong.....Scotland will kick them out as a political decision.

Sorry old chap!

Here's the proposition... You can use our pound at your peril and you can keep the jobs at Faslane but Trident stays to prevent us all from a life of vodka and red cabbage soup. Deal or No Deal?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the Northern Irish are staying quiet and hoping you don't send your nuclear sub's there?

No where else for it to go unless you want to scrap it and join the Russian Federation.

If the vote is YES there is a strong likelihood you are wrong.....Scotland will kick them out as a political decision.

Sorry old chap!

Here's the proposition... You can use our pound at your peril and you can keep the jobs at Faslane but Trident stays to prevent us all from a life of vodka and red cabbage soup. Deal or No Deal?

Are you worried about compulsory purchase order on your Margate flat?

A few topics raised about proper planning and what the SNP offer (or can offer). Well, its a fair point. Theres really only a few things they can offer with certainty at the moment, though:

1. Independence.

2. A scottish democratically elected parliament to enact legislation free from (direct) Westminster interference.

3. Oil

4. ???

5. Profit?

It kind of stems back to the start of the debate though. Why is there no plan? I mean theres a plan of course, its out there, salmond published it last year. But its tentative, and rationally, how could it be otherwise? A lot of this is stuff that simply has to be organised and negotiated on in the EVENT of a break up. One need only go back in time to the start of this whole debate. At the time a straight in/out vote was overwhelmingly in favour of a no vote. From what standpoint could Salmond push the UK into a position of negotiation on serious topics like currency union or the share of the UK debt (and assets)? The yes vote had no political impetus to force negotiation. Thus, any deal hammered out at that time (assuming it could even have been done - why would the no camp even stoop to negotiate sucha thing or offer any concessions given that support was overwhelmingly in their favour?) would have been woeful for Scotland. Indeed, it took until the surge in the Yes camp to solidify last week for panic to finally settle in and the No camp to actually OFFER something (which some have argued was and 11th hour intervention against the terms and spirit of the vote). Despite not even entertaining the extremely popular devo max option at the start of the debate, it was now, finally, back on the table. And the only reason it was back on the table was because of the surge of support for independence.

This is a clear case of why Salmond simply could not offer concrete and absolute proposals. Negotiations have yet to begin. The proposals are starting points for negotiation, not end points. I think most Scottish people see and understand this. Independence will have issues. It will have problems and perhaps it will take upwards of a generation to stabilise and become moderately successful. This is just the beginning. The only question that ultimately matters is not how quickly scotland can recover (or whether it ever can?), but whether scotland wants to become responsible for its own choices (and own the right to make its own mistakes), or whether it wants to remain tied to shared responsibility/power and protection through the United Kingdom? Its the primary and only question that Scotland (and even Salmond) can rightly answer at the moment.

On Thursday, and regardless of the outcome, the negotiations genuinely begin on both the powers and responsibilities of Scotland as well as the longstanding future of the UK. Should the unexpected happen and Scotland vote for independence. Across all parties, thoughts will turn to negotiating a fair deal and laying out the individual party manifestos on exactly what they are going to do to bring their vision to life. The independence question is not, after all, a vote for the SNP or Alex Salmond. His is just one vision of the future Scotland. Why should he get to say what it will look like? The blueprint is exactly that. A blueprint. The house is yet to be built. We might yet find a better way. It is instead, and more simply a vote about independence. If they win, then and only then can we start talking about what Alex Salmond offers specifically to the people of Scotland through the manifesto of the SNP for the 2016 Holyrood election. Then and only then can we talk about plans because then and only then will we have a clearer idea on what is now up for grabs in this new political reality and what concessions our negotiating partners in Westminster are prepared to bring to the table now that its an actual political and economic reality for both of our nations to face.

Im delighted that this is our choice. Above all though, I'm delighted that no matter how Scotland votes, we have opened up a discussion on Federalism, regional power, and what it means to be a citizen of the United Kingdom in the 21st Century. Its a debate that will benefit everyone in the long term regardless of what country, (or part of the country), you come from. We are stronger as a nation together, of course, but things cannot go on as they have for the last 40 years with ever increasing concentration of wealth, economic and political power. Change has to come. And i love that almost 50% of the Scottish voting public has helped push this debate forward.

In the end, the No vote should pass. Scotland will be granted new powers, forcing Wales and Northern Ireland to push for new agreements. From there we will see if England in turn has another bite at regional assemblies and decides to take them seriously or not. I have a feeling they might in this current political climate. Whether you appreciate it or not, this opens up a conversation that needs to be had in the UK. Love it or not, the independence debate has helped open the door to it.

Good post....I disagree about the no bit but you expected that I am sure.

Very much doubt it. In fact on a Yes win I reckon everything will start moving out the next day, Scotland having declared independence no longer being a country in the UK, or the EU or NATO.

Why hang around? Stop the flow of cash immediately. Cut the losses. Move on.

Its not going to be an acrimonious divorce....well not from our side anyway.

In reality there is rarely a completely amicable Divorce,unless one partner desparately wants out, or chooses to be a loser! for whatever reason!

• Like 1

id vote yes if i could obviously. But my instinct tells me when dealing with a change like this, you need to either have a massive groundswell for change (like Obama in 2008), or you need to have a strong and consistent buffer to weather those who have every intention of voting for change right up until they stand in their booth and look at their paper (like the UK General election in 1992 or even Obama again in 2012). Either there has to be a genuine longstanding resentment for the status quo (1997) and a real genuine impetus for change, or there has to be a feeling that regardless of your political ties, youre voting for history. For me, that surge really did push right up until midweek. But i feel the momentum has been halted. It will once again carry on, and maybe even surge again as we approach Thursday. But itll ebb away at the end. Too many people like to flirt with change. But if anything, the problem for Scotland is that theres no clear AWFUL answer. Theres just two really good options on the table (so long as you buy into Devo max). And in that case, i think a lot of hesitant support will drift away when they come face to face with their ballot paper.

Then again, one of my mates is insistent that people will walk in unconvinced, but think "to hell with it! lets do this". Its all up for grabs. Salmond will tell you that every minute every day if he could. In fact the latest poll putting the no's in an 8 point lead will have him ecstatic if only because its kind of against the general trend of the other polls (about 3-5% difference) thus making it a bit of an outlier, but it wil also help him no end make the case that the argument hasnt been won yet, and his campaigners and voters cant just sit back and expect other people to go vote for them. They HAVE to turn out to make this happen. Its music to the YES campaigns ears so close to polling day. Its all to play for... and they cant sit back yet and expect the yes vote to romp it despite his own private polling telling him otherwise.

• Like 1

England has been largely acknowledged only in passing. This isnt about England, its about Scotland at the end of the day. In fact if anything, one of the primary reasons that the labour vote in scotland hasnt collapsed into a vote for scottish independence DESPITE the absolute hatred of the Tories, has been the solidarity scottish labour supporters feel for English labour supporters whom they also recognise were trampled on by the closure of the collieries and heavy industry. The belief for any labour supporter is that the greatest force for change is ultimately the Parliamentary Labour Party. I think Scottish labour supporters and North East labour supporters share far more in common with one another than Blairist New labour and old labour supporters ever will regardless of where they live. And perhaps because theyre old school, they probably feel that change will only come about through collective representation and ahem, bargaining. We are dependent on the support and shared opportunity as well as the success of one another. This is no small side point. Its axiomatic!

To an extent then, an independent scotland would be seen as a backward step in this long shared goal of raised opportunity, social justice and egality that labour has always professed itself to stand for. We COULD do this in Scotland of course, theres obviously still enough resentment at BOTH the tories and liberals to keep things generally center left for the time being, but the project is bigger than just lifting a few million out of poverty and powerlessness into opportunity. Its collective as i say. Its a shared and common legacy of every labour supporter and owes its debt to the force of labour THROUGHOUT the united kingdom. Scotland didnt give birth to the NHS and the welfare state after all. Labour did; The British people did.

Anyways, im not politiking. Im just trying to explicate why maybe political allegiance trumps nationalist sentiment to a lot of people in Scotland. England is way down the list of concerns. Parts of England maybe not so much. But those parts are problems also for people in the regions of England just as they are for the people in Scotland.

Just as you rightly pointed out earlier that England itself wasnt en masse in love with Thatcher, perhaps its fair to also argue that this logic should show that England doesnt have a single will on the issue of Scottish independence. Indeed, a quick perusal of any comments section on independence always has people from England telling us to be brave and vote yes, followed by a reminder that theyre all very jealous. :) It seems that a great many people in England share similar complaints about political impotence that Scotland feels from Westminster politics and would like to be shot of it too. Its why i think this is a bigger conversation and that this vote is just the beginning. England is just as pissed off with the status quo as Scotland is. But its not with Scotland. Its with other parts of England. I think the main parties now maybe realise (thanks to the surge in support for independence) that the Scotland vote is just the beginning. Were it at 30% they might have taken the wrong lesson that everything was fine. I think they should be rightly worried.

• Like 1

England has been largely acknowledged only in passing. This isnt about England, its about Scotland at the end of the day. In fact if anything, one of the primary reasons that the labour vote in scotland hasnt collapsed into a vote for scottish independence DESPITE the absolute hatred of the Tories, has been the solidarity scottish labour supporters feel for English labour supporters whom they also recognise were trampled on by the closure of the collieries and heavy industry. The belief for any labour supporter is that the greatest force for change is ultimately the Parliamentary Labour Party. I think Scottish labour supporters and North East labour supporters share far more in common with one another than Blairist New labour and old labour supporters ever will regardless of where they live. And perhaps because theyre old school, they probably feel that change will only come about through collective representation and ahem, bargaining. We are dependent on the support and shared opportunity as well as the success of one another. This is no small side point. Its axiomatic!

To an extent then, an independent scotland would be seen as a backward step in this long shared goal of raised opportunity, social justice and egality that labour has always professed itself to stand for. We COULD do this in Scotland of course, theres obviously still enough resentment at BOTH the tories and liberals to keep things generally center left for the time being, but the project is bigger than just lifting a few million out of poverty and powerlessness into opportunity. Its collective as i say. Its a shared and common legacy of every labour supporter and owes its debt to the force of labour THROUGHOUT the united kingdom. Scotland didnt give birth to the NHS and the welfare state after all. Labour did; The British people did.

Anyways, im not politiking. Im just trying to explicate why maybe political allegiance trumps nationalist sentiment to a lot of people in Scotland. England is way down the list of concerns. Parts of England maybe not so much. But those parts are problems also for people in the regions of England just as they are for the people in Scotland.

Just as you rightly pointed out earlier that England itself wasnt en masse in love with Thatcher, perhaps its fair to also argue that this logic should show that England doesnt have a single will on the issue of Scottish independence. Indeed, a quick perusal of any comments section on independence always has people from England telling us to be brave and vote yes, followed by a reminder that theyre all very jealous. smile.png It seems that a great many people in England share similar complaints about political impotence that Scotland feels from Westminster politics and would like to be shot of it too. Its why i think this is a bigger conversation and that this vote is just the beginning. England is just as pissed off with the status quo as Scotland is. But its not with Scotland. Its with other parts of England. I think the main parties now maybe realise (thanks to the surge in support for independence) that the Scotland vote is just the beginning. Were it at 30% they might have taken the wrong lesson that everything was fine. I think they should be rightly worried.

Ed Milliband just looks like another Tory to me.

• Like 1

Just as you rightly pointed out earlier that England itself wasnt en masse in love with Thatcher, perhaps its fair to also argue that this logic should show that England doesnt have a single will on the issue of Scottish independence. Indeed, a quick perusal of any comments section on independence always has people from England telling us to be brave and vote yes, followed by a reminder that theyre all very jealous. smile.png It seems that a great many people in England share similar complaints about political impotence that Scotland feels from Westminster politics and would like to be shot of it too. Its why i think this is a bigger conversation and that this vote is just the beginning. England is just as pissed off with the status quo as Scotland is. But its not with Scotland. Its with other parts of England. I think the main parties now maybe realise (thanks to the surge in support for independence) that the Scotland vote is just the beginning. Were it at 30% they might have taken the wrong lesson that everything was fine. I think they should be rightly worried.

Ed Milliband just looks like another Tory to me.

The only honest one in Westminster was Alan Clark and he was only honest about being dishonest.

• Like 1

Ya gotta love it -- some people just don't notice a tongue-in-cheek remark wink.png

BTW -- there's a lot of silent assumptions apparent about which posters are what nationality and which way they're going to vote. All very bigoted I'd say smile.png

Posters,Ex pats,Thai Visa, I thought Ex Pats vote was void or barred from voting, OK I won't tell the "Presumptious President",he's unlikely to get in anyway,or call a recount,if you vote Yes.

Well we have to continue to live next door to each other unless there is a Teutonic shift

Get real Smokie the Bonhomie will only last as long as our 300 year agreement will continue uninterupted! Nobody wants a fairweather friend,who is only interested in wealth and power! recognise any leader in that statement?

• Like 1

id vote yes if i could obviously. But my instinct tells me when dealing with a change like this, you need to either have a massive groundswell for change (like Obama in 2008), or you need to have a strong and consistent buffer to weather those who have every intention of voting for change right up until they stand in their booth and look at their paper (like the UK General election in 1992 or even Obama again in 2012). Either there has to be a genuine longstanding resentment for the status quo (1997) and a real genuine impetus for change, or there has to be a feeling that regardless of your political ties, youre voting for history. For me, that surge really did push right up until midweek. But i feel the momentum has been halted. It will once again carry on, and maybe even surge again as we approach Thursday. But itll ebb away at the end. Too many people like to flirt with change. But if anything, the problem for Scotland is that theres no clear AWFUL answer. Theres just two really good options on the table (so long as you buy into Devo max). And in that case, i think a lot of hesitant support will drift away when they come face to face with their ballot paper.

Then again, one of my mates is insistent that people will walk in unconvinced, but think "to hell with it! lets do this". Its all up for grabs. Salmond will tell you that every minute every day if he could. In fact the latest poll putting the no's in an 8 point lead will have him ecstatic if only because its kind of against the general trend of the other polls (about 3-5% difference) thus making it a bit of an outlier, but it wil also help him no end make the case that the argument hasnt been won yet, and his campaigners and voters cant just sit back and expect other people to go vote for them. They HAVE to turn out to make this happen. Its music to the YES campaigns ears so close to polling day. Its all to play for... and they cant sit back yet and expect the yes vote to romp it despite his own private polling telling him otherwise.

Ironically, I fear the real ground swell of opinion will be the English, tired of being hated, wanting complete break up of the Union after this, Wales, NI the lot.

You have no idea the effect the obvious hatred of English people is having here south of the border. None knew it was this bad and none realised what a great deal in subsidy the other three countries in the UK were getting.

Genie is definitely out of the bottle now.

Yes! the Genie is definately out of the bottle,and not before time, we need to know our friends North of the border,I have still no doubt the NO vote will still hold out,but as far as our 300 year alliance goes,it may be too little too late! and prolonging the inevitable,eventual split!.will not please the English people if there is too much pandering,concessions and hatred to the other members of the United Kingdom! Next time with the help of the up and coming UKIP,it could very well be the English calling for a Divorce!

• Like 1

I'm none too impressed with the scaremongering. We should be positively encouraging the Scots to independence.

Those who seek to make this a confrontational issue are only helping the YES vote.

however it is nice to note the difference in this way this separatist movement is treated compared to separatists elsewhere in the world.

• Like 1

He's a crook as they all are.

If Salmond is the best they can find to organise the most important event in Scottish history, God help them.

Like him or loathe him, the reality is that he has taken on everything the 3 main parties in UK have to offer and wiped the floor them. The most competent politician in the UK by some considerable distance.

• Like 2

YES or NO - the referendum is going to give the UK the most serious political kick up the arse they've had for decades....if not centuries......they will HAVE to review how the UK nations operate and even look at the 2 party system, which is far too geographic in nature

No bad thing Wilco, no bad thing at all.

• Like 2

If Salmond is the best they can find to organise the most important event in Scottish history, God help them.

Like him or loathe him, the reality is that he has taken on everything the 3 main parties in UK have to offer and wiped the floor them. The most competent politician in the UK by some considerable distance.

Using the rhetoric of hate it's easy. My worry is the transition period and method and my worry is primarily for the Scots.

Good one, rajyindee; I needed a good laugh!

• Like 1

Using the rhetoric of hate it's easy. My worry is the transition period and method and my worry is primarily for the Scots.

I agree with you. I too worry what the future holds for the Scots. Not all Scots, just those who live south of the border. thumbsup.gif

Edited by rajyindee