Kaeng Krachan national park

Dave8237

Hi not sure if this is the ideal forum to post this, buts its about 60Km west of Hua Hin,

Anyone know the current entry cost, for foreigners? Do they discount for those who are resident, holding Thai driving licences?

Is it possible to get to Pal-U waterfall from the Headquarters ? or is there another enterance.

Hope to visit on Wednesday, driving up from Bangkok, some 180KM, we leave at 5am, so hope to be there after our coffee stop at a PTT Amazon, about 9ish.

One of us is confused (it may be me). Pala U waterfall is a completely different place (I thought). I haven't looked at a map, but the main Kaeng Krachan park is in a whole different driving direction and further than Pala U falls. There is only one way in to Pala U from Thailand (dirt roads from Myanmar) and it is not the same road you would use to go to Kaeng Krachan from Hua Hin.

Edit: Ok I just looked at a map and it appears that the actual Kaeng Krachan park does go quite far south along the Myanmar border so probably does include Pala U falls, but you cannot drive to the falls from the central area of the park (where the dam is) staying within the park to my knowledge. I believe it is a different entrance entirely and very far away from the park headquarters. Other's will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been to Pala U many times and didn't even know it was part of the park and I've never been to the main park or park headquarters but have been told that it is an hour and a half drive so I would imagine it is closer to the northern end of this huge park and Pala U must be near the southern end.

Edited by hhfarang

Thanks to you both for the information, I must admit it's confusing as to how to gain access to the falls, the tourist guides have been a little confusing to both me and my wife.

Checked Trip advisor, and the rate for foreigner has now been dropped to 200 THB, (reported June 2014)

The falls are located at the end of route 3219, some 253km 4 hours plus, ( info off Google Maps ) coming out of Bangkok. It's a little further than we planned to cover in one day return trip. Will save it for another day....... After all I have the rest of my life

Thanks again for your input guys

Edited by Dave8237

^ Good idea, because if you are in shape to walk uphill on a long primitive trail, the best falls are near the top of the mountain. If you take your time it's a tough all day trip to go to the top and back. You can see the first 3 or 4 sets of very small falls in less than an hour's walk though. I've never made it to the top because it is too strenuous for me.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also take a walk to the other waterfall,Pala-u noi waterfall,it is a few hours walking but it is free and you will see very few people there.You can go there with a 4x4 partway or on a motorbike.

The road from Pala-u to the park can also be taken over a non paved road and it is a very nice trip but you need to be a skilled driver to make it in one piece.

This is also a very nice trip.Also you can find a few very nice caves in that area.

"Anyone know the current entry cost, for foreigners? Do they discount for those who are resident, holding Thai driving licences? ............."

200 baht per person, 30 baht per car. No "discount" for driving license, Thai price is you have a resident card.

"Is it possible to get to Pal-U waterfall from the Headquarters ? or is there another enterance..........................."

Headquarters is on a main road so can drive (quite far). Note Baan Krang and PanonThueng sites (where the animals are) are closed until November 1st so you cannot go to them.

Edited by Whale