Taking gold bars to other country?

Another poster ask this but there was not much of an answer. Any one care to reply

Just to keep my options open, can I carry or ship Thai gold ( 96.5 ) through customs? I'm talking about
70 baht bars. Not good delivery bars. What is the limit? Or should I convert all to neck chains like "Mr. T"?

To clarify the question. I am not talking about smuggling. You can take any amount of money, US$$$ as long as you declare it on the customs form. No fee no penalty just a declaration to stop drug smugglers with suitcases full of money.

Can you take gold bars and declare the value and not pay a penalty?

Edited by Jimbolai

• 2 months later...

Well, you said 'customs' ... which 'customs' do you refer to?

It is assumed the 'customs' is the country to where you are taking/importing the gold.

i [not so] humbly beg to differ honourable Sir Twin Father tongue.png

de jure and de facto you are also passing "customs" whenever you leave a country, e.g. it is the Thai customs department where you have to declare any amount of money exceeding USD 20k when you leave. i have never seen a Thai definition of that value but the definition of many countries (the U.S. of A. as well as the European Union) include on top of cash "negotiable instruments" such as cashier's cheques, traveller cheques, bearer bonds and last not least precious metals.

note: exporting the amount of gold the OP mentioned i'd consider a big problem, even if declared, as (according to a number of statements) an export license is required.

It is assumed the 'customs' is the country to where you are taking/importing the gold.

de jure and de facto you are also passing "customs" whenever you leave a country, e.g. it is the Thai customs department where you have to declare any amount of money exceeding USD 20k when you leave. i have never seen a Thai definition of that value but the definition of many countries (the U.S. of A. as well as the European Union) include on top of cash "negotiable instruments" such as cashier's cheques, traveller cheques, bearer bonds and last not least precious metals.

note: exporting the amount of gold the OP mentioned i'd consider a big problem, even if declared, as (according to a number of statements) an export license is required.

35oz of gold bar requires an export licence in Thailand ? I doubt that, where is the law/regulation saying this?

35oz of gold bar requires an export licence in Thailand ? I doubt that, where is the law/regulation saying this?

Google is your friend.