O/A visa from UK

HI has anybody got recent experience of getting an O/A visa from the Thai embassy in London ? I have a few items I need to know about before submitting my application , what do they need on the bank reference letter to go with the bank statements to show I have enough savings to meet their threshold of Bt 800000 for three months, do all the documents sent as evidence have to be notarized as well [they will already be original document from bank ,police and doctor?]and who is acceptable as a reference person from Thailand that they want on the additional information sheet to be submitted with the three copies of the visa application , can it be a non Thai who is already living in Thailand or must it be a Thai national ?

Many thanks , sorry if this subject has been covered before but I couldn't find it under any heading.

Hi again just to clarify , when you say copies need to be notified do you mean photo copies of originals or the original paper(s) ? I don't have a Thai bank account but rang the embassy to ask about the money evidence and was told I needed to show equivalent of 800,000 in bank savings for three months in UK bank or income of equivalent 65,000 P/M or mix of both

Many thanks so far .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes I know but I'm sure that's what I was told , talked to one lady who wasn't sure so I could hear her asking somebody else in office to clarify my questions , they seem very curt with their replies and not at all friendly or want to be helpful , second time I rang she was trying to put phone down on me as I was asking question ! You would think they could be but more helpful and take time to answer properly as I'll be paying £ 125 for this visa plus £10 for postage!

I think the OP means a "non-immigrant-O "visa. Hence the confusion.

Either show the money in the bank with a very recent ORIGINAL bankstatement (although printout from your computer will do, when internet-banking), or provide proof ( 3 months ) of sufficient income form employer, or otherwise. Simple.

I think the OP means a "non-immigrant-O "visa. Hence the confusion.

Either show the money in the bank with a very recent ORIGINAL bankstatement (although printout from your computer will do, when internet-banking), or provide proof ( 3 months ) of sufficient income form employer, or otherwise. Simple.

OP mentioned medical and police clearance so I'd say it's an O/A.

It is a O/A visa I've got to go for cant have non O as I'm not 65 , would have been a lot more simple as I used to get them from the consulate in Hull virtually by return of post but they've closed that avenue as well it's all got to be done in London now

Collate your bank statements, police report, medical certificate and any pension statements, take them to a Notary Public and get them notarized before making your application.

The OA application can only be made in person at the Thai Embassy in London, it cannot be made by post. (Unless this has changes recently)

Ensure you get the Multi Entry, this will give you a 12mths stamp when you get to Thailand, during which time you may make as many visits out of the country as you wish on each return you will get a further 12 mth stamp.

As you reach the end of the visa validity (watch this date) a border run and return before the end of the visa will give you a further 12 mths, in essence 2 yrs without having to show funds in Thailand.

Should you wish to leave the country during the second year you will require a re-entry permit to keep your visa alive.

Edited by Expattaff1308

Collate your bank statements, police report, medical certificate and any pension statements, take them to a Notary Public and get them notarized before making your application.

I think that as mentioned above, notarization is needed only if submitting copies of these documents, as opposed to the originals.

Beside, a Notary public would not just stamp originals, would stamp copies to declare their authenticity.

Since these documents would reasonably needed to be done again for future applications, it would not be convenient to retain the originals anyway.

Think I'll have to ring them again , if I've got to go in person will be taking the originals anyway and got to be issued within three months of application so wouldn't be valid for future applications anyway

Cheers for that , they didn't mention to me had to be done in person when I rang embassy (twice) what about reference letter from bank to go with statements?

Take everything to the Notory Public, he will know what he has to do. If you have the original statements I dont think a letter is necessary. Tho everything that helps is useful.

When I did it, I submitted original statements, pension letter, police report and the downloaded medical cert from the embassy website duly filled in and and signed by my GP.

From the Embassy website...

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Validity of passport at least 1 year
  2. Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photographs
  3. Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form
  4. Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at

least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)

5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  6. Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.
  7. Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  8. In case wishing to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

Note: Documents as stated in 4 - 8 must be certified by Notary Public or from the competent authority concerned of the country of application.

Medical cert....http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/forms/medicalcertificate.pdf

Edited by Expattaff1308

Ok thanks for that , I've got med cert already signed , bank statements on the way as I'm on paperless Internet banking just got to get photo signed and send for police report £45 or £80 for quick return !!

Both my wife and I have gone down the O-A route in the last 8 months , the bank statements need to be certified by the bank, and notarised. PM me if you require any more info, if you have time shop around for public notary their prices and services vary. All submitted documents have to be notarised. inc police clearance and med certificate.

• Like 1

Both my wife and I have gone down the O-A route in the last 8 months , the bank statements need to be certified by the bank, and notarised. PM me if you require any more info, if you have time shop around for public notary their prices and services vary. All submitted documents have to be notarised. inc police clearance and med certificate.

OP- The Notaries Society website at http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/ might be a good starting place for identifying local notaries public.

Hi

Following feedback from this forum (and particularly help provided by Ubonjoe) I have been preparing documents for my O-A visa application in the UK.

The Thai Embassy in London sent me an email confirming the following:

The bank statement, health certificate and police certificate all need to be notarised. I have completed this processctoday and as previously pointed out here the fees can vary widely for this service. I was quoted fees of three times what I paid by one Notary Public.

The Thai Embassy did not say that the bank statements need to be certified by the bank so I have not done this.

It is worth noting that the Thai Embassy in London has not responded to my recent emails asking for further clarification so I will have to see what happens when I go to the Embassy in London in a couple of weeks time. I will keep you posted.

With guidance from Ubunjoe I will also be applying for an O visa single entry for my (UK) wife which we will look to extend once we have been in Thailand for 60 days.

Hi thanks for that , I've been liking on the Hull consulate website as if I've got to go in person that's my nearest option , I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to clarify a few points so I'll let you know what they say .

Many thanks for the info

Hi thanks for that , I've been liking on the Hull consulate website as if I've got to go in person that's my nearest option , I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to clarify a few points so I'll let you know what they say .

Many thanks for the info

If you are wanting to get a OA visa Hull will be of no help because they cannot issue them or even accept the application.

Hi yes they confirmed that this morning, but they weren't sure if I would have to go to London to apply in person , that's a 400 mile round trip for me! Also the cost of travel and a day or two out of my schedule

Thank for the info

The Embassy in London advised me I have to go in person for my O-A visa but my wife does not and I can apply for her O visa by taking along her completed application form (3 copies) and marriage certificate (plus 3 photos). You can apply in person Monday to Friday between 9 am and 12.30 pm - last ticket is issued at 12pm. No appointment is required. Successful applicants can pick up their passports the following day between 11 am and mid- day. You can get someone else to pick them up providing you give them the receipt. You have to pay the Embassy in cash it by postal order in £ sterling.

Hi yes they confirmed that this morning, but they weren't sure if I would have to go to London to apply in person , that's a 400 mile round trip for me! Also the cost of travel and a day or two out of my schedule

Thank for the info

You should be able to apply by post. There is nothing that says you can't on the embassy website.

Instructions for application by post is here, http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

This is so confusing. I have an email from a Visa Officer at the Royal Thai Embassy in London, dated June 6 2014 stating that you must apply at the Embassy in London and you cannot apply by post.

Who do you believe?

I would rather not travel to London 2 days running but have been clearly told that is what I must do.

I am going to try and call the Embassy as this needs clarifying.

Just spoken to a very helpful officer at the a Royal Thai Embassy in London.

ALL O-A visa applications need to be made in person. Any that are submitted by post will be rejected. The reason stated is that as this is a special long stay visa you must apply on person.

When I mentioned that this is not stated on the web site the officer said it doesn't matter what the web site says they will not accept O-A applications by post.

I think this means you have to go yo London if you want an O-A visa or alternatively apply for an O visa by post in the UK and then look to extend when you are in Thailand. There are several threads on the Forum covering this.

Thanks for that , looks like I'm going to London then !! Wonder if they will accept application in person and then post passport back when granted ?

For peace of mind better to collect it in person regardless, I would have thought. How can you be sure that they won't just bung it in a letterbox with an ordinary second-class stamp on the envelope? The cost of an extra night in London town will probably be more than outweighed by the hassle & expense of replacing your passport if it goes astray in the post, not to mention the need for a further trip to the Embassy for a duplicate visa..

Edited by OJAS