Buy A Dog

:o udon :D

Please, do not post in All Caps, it is considered shouting and rude. :D

Yasmar, there are some previous threads on this in the forum, not bull mastiffs per say but on how to find a dog breeder. Be sure to check out all advice in those threads as well. But, do not buy from the weekend market, many of the dogs are ill or have problems. You might try asking a local vet if he (or she) knows of any reputable breeders.

There are some sites, but they are in Thai I am afraid, thaisecondhand.com is one that lists many dogs for sale. However, they do have pics so you could try browsing the photos I suppose.

SBK ---

all of my friends have gotten their animals from the weekend market and none have had troubles. I got Bruiser from there (3k baht instead of 12k from a pet shop outside of the weekend market) I did take a couple of months wandering through and seeing who was there all the time! Got a garauntee of return in writing. And went straight to the vet and got Bruiser her shots and exam.

Parvo virus seems to be a common illness at the weekend market and is certainly worth watching for. The same problems you get at JJ can be found anywhere ((but they are much more common there!))

Watch for alert animals that are not too skinny ... and bellies that are not tender ... and clear eyes ... then get to a vet! Last year one of my dear friends got a great siamese cat from there for 5k ... amazing animal. The cat is now freezing its nuts off in Maine during the winters!

All in all I agree that is may be a little safer to get from a petshop ... and A LOT safer direct from a breeder. But even breeders have issues <bloodlines not diverse enough lead to more long-term health problems like hips and lungs etc>

Edited by endure

The animal clinic on the island has to treat dogs purchased at the weekend market on a regular basis: someone introduced parvo onto the island with a pedigreed dog they bought and wiped out alot of dogs. Alot of people lost some beloved pets because of that.

All I know is what the vet at the clinic tells me, she sees alot of dogs purchased at the weekend market because they are sickly.

all i have to say is that i agree with sbk. be careful buying dogs at the weekend market. a lot of in breeding. just be careful what u buy. a lot of information on the internet as to breeders in thailand and find a dog thats "good" in per say. although i do fell pity for dogs that have been inbred. they have a life but poor thing these people see $$$ more than anything else.

SBK ---

all of my friends have gotten their animals from the weekend market and none have had troubles. I got Bruiser from there (3k baht instead of 12k from a pet shop outside of the weekend market) I did take a couple of months wandering through and seeing who was there all the time! Got a garauntee of return in writing. And went straight to the vet and got Bruiser her shots and exam.

Parvo virus seems to be a common illness at the weekend market and is certainly worth watching for. The same problems you get at JJ can be found anywhere ((but they are much more common there!))

Watch for alert animals that are not too skinny ... and bellies that are not tender ... and clear eyes ... then get to a vet! Last year one of my dear friends got a great siamese cat from there for 5k ... amazing animal. The cat is now freezing its nuts off in Maine during the winters!

All in all I agree that is may be a little safer to get from a petshop ... and A LOT safer direct from a breeder. But even breeders have issues <bloodlines not diverse enough lead to more long-term health problems like hips and lungs etc>

BTW, cute dog, Chihuahua? Somebody was watching that Reese Witherspoon movie when he named his dog, I think?

My little one is a mixed Shih Tzu with a Thai dog, she has the look of a Thai dog, the size of a Shih tzu and the attitude of every small dog around!

Not sure of anywhere that breeds Bull Mastiffs but I know a place that breeds Brazillian Mastiffs. Might be bigger than you want. Ours weighs in at about 120kgs. Good dog for the family but not great if you like to have lots of visitors to your home.
thanks to all members who helped me with buying a dog.. have read a few bad things about brazillian mastiffsmdont know if true as i said just read them..

Problem with not buying from JJ is that many breeders are represented there with there pups. So the pups just go home that are not sold afterwards and come back next weekend. No guarantee that not buying from jj is not going to get you a healthy dog.

As for bullies, try the area behind the farmers market opposite jj, they have a shop there that seems to specilaise in these types of dogs, think it is on the very left hand side as you see that area.

I went shopping to jj on wednesday for some wood to build something, came home with a cat and a dog.

• 2 months later...

The most persuasive reason for not buying from markets, or even from petshops, is not that you may lose out by getting an unhealthy animal. Rather it is that you are encouraging an unscrupulous trade that keeps those animals in usually cruel conditions, and cares only to maximize sales. A breeder usually cares more for the dog - and is often concerned to advize even after the sale. So really I would avoid markets simply to discourage cruelty to the animal that will quickly replace the one I bought.

Lets behave ourselves in this thread or some of us will find ourselves in trouble.

Anyway, shall we return to the topic at hand instead of flaming other members?

Has anyone ever bought a dog out of those dog magazines that list breeders? Another post asks about the magazines but no one has mentioned if they've ever tried it.

Bambi, do you have any suggestions of where to go for a dog?

I, personally, have 5 Thai dogs and wouldn't buy one but certainly wont' stand in judgment of those who do.

"Judge not lest you be judged" is some wise advice :o

**edited by sbk***

This weekend is my partner's BD and we are offto JJ to look for a mate for Bruiser! I am hoping to find another great dog there ... but since we have a specific look and personality in mind .. it MAY be time to look for a breeder!

Edited by sbk

i always use google :D coz it's update and internet is fast for reaching ..

being a vet , any breed is same same but different :o

i mean some breeds can be risk in some prob more than another

as bulldog

- skin prob (mange , bacterial dematitis,yeast (malassezia spp.) ,skin fold dermatitis, folliculitis(acne)

-respiratory prob ( bracheo-chephalic breed)

i always use google :D coz it's update and internet is fast for reaching ..

being a vet , any breed is same same but different :o

i mean some breeds can be risk in some prob more than another

What about Boxers, Bambi? Are they ok for Thailand?

I heard somewhere that alot of these pug nosed type dogs have difficulty in the heat, perhaps the air doesn't cool in their short nasal passages?

This is an interesting article from the Boxer rescue foundation:

Dogs do not have the same kind of sweat glands. They PANT, and they have

some sweat glands on the bottoms of their paws, but that's it.

Bracecyphalic dogs, like Boxers, have a shorter nose, and often, additional

flesh inside their mouth and throat which makes their respiration less

efficient. In other words, Boxers overheat more quickly than many other

breeds of dogs, and this is very important to bear in mind. Weather that

might not be too hot for another dog, MIGHT be too hot for your Boxer. High

humidity may make it harder for your Boxer to cool off, too.

So, how can you get your Boxer safely through hot and humid weather?

1.) Lots and lots of cool, fresh drinking water, available at all times for

the dog, in the house or in the yard. If the weather is hot, and your Boxer

is digging, it might be due to heat stress. This is an important time to

help your Boxer cool off NOW! A child's wading pool filled with water is a

great idea for many Boxers.

2.) A place to cool off. A dark, quiet place with a fan, drinking water, a

cool mat to lie on, or again, the child's wading pool in the yard. You can

buy a 'cool mat' from most pet supply places or you can make one from wet

towels.

3.) A 'wet coat.' Again, you can buy these at dog shows or from pet supply

catalogs, but you can make one from a wet terrycloth towel or a chamois.

Place the wet, wrung out 'wet coat' over the dog.

4.) NEVER leave your Boxer unattended in a car, truck or backyard.

Especially without water and/or shade. Even on cloudy days, the temperature

can rise quickly in a closed car. And even on cloudy days, the humidity can

be too much for your Boxer.

What about Boxers, Bambi? Are they ok for Thailand?

yes .. Boxer are ok here

(include Pug and other shot muzzle breed)

Prob - Hair shedding all years (common/normal in short hair breed ..)

many customers ask me whats wrong about hair shedding in labrador ,pug ,boxer, miniature pincher..etc)

well, there is no prob with it , just natural (punish) lol

PS..there are many breeds of dog that you guys worry that they can alive in tropical country as TH for example siberian husky , St. Bernad ..etc .. they are ok here and no needs air-con room

I heard somewhere that alot of these pug nosed type dogs have difficulty in the heat, perhaps the air doesn't cool in their short nasal passages?

not only Pug , but also other breeds

because the sabeceous glands in dog are located only foot pad and nose..so its hard for dogs too adjsut the temperature

when dog is in a hot environment such as they are in a car (without air con) the will get "Heat Stroke"

sign

-panting

-trachycadia ( fast heat beating )

-seizer

-un concious

-salivation

-coma

-dead

Tx

-Dexamethazone IV

-pour em with cool water

-ice pack

preventing

- a/c in a car

- plenty of water intake

Not sure of anywhere that breeds Bull Mastiffs but I know a place that breeds Brazillian Mastiffs. Might be bigger than you want. Ours weighs in at about 120kgs. Good dog for the family but not great if you like to have lots of visitors to your home.

I'd be interested to know whereabouts in Thaiand the breeder is. What the price range was when you bought, whther they're ok with other dog/cat pets, and any other advice or info you could pass on based on your experience. Either here or in a PM. Many thanks.

ThaiGerd has a great boxer <I think> ... I have seen one here in Kamala too! Great dogs!

Yes, Boxers are great in that climate here.

I've found mine in a magazine (breeder in BKK), send a friend in BKK to check her out and it was ok.

Late afternoon into an airplane and send her down to Phuket.

Boxers have a great personality I think.

Gerd

boxers!!!

my bitch was an israeli defense force pup with a longer snout (israeli boxers tend to have longer snouts therefore less snuffly snorty issues)heat no bother, shedding, no prob.

my male was finnish; very very scrunchy nose, he did suffer so here's a tip: leave water on floor in bathroom, he would lay all stretched out, b**** on the tiles, a geat way to cool off; exercise in early a.m. and late p.m. ; he loved winter which is sort of an autumn for north americans

nero was useless when it came to long distance walking etc so he never went to work with search and rescue which is what he was partially trained for in finland... once a dog starts to pant and snuffle, they cant really search very well although he had drive and persistance to the point that he would rather pass out then give up (so we had to enforce the giving up point); also, lots of floor washing due to immense amounts of snuffly saliva drool everywhere, and on sofa, and on guests' legs (he loved to wipe his face off on black pants)

most dogs with double coats are ok in heat rather like thermal cooling/heating, its the very large boned heavy dogs that i think suffer (st bernards etc)

Lets behave ourselves in this thread or some of us will find ourselves in trouble.

Anyway, shall we return to the topic at hand instead of flaming other members?

Has anyone ever bought a dog out of those dog magazines that list breeders? Another post asks about the magazines but no one has mentioned if they've ever tried it.

I, personally, have 5 Thai dogs and wouldn't buy one but certainly wont' stand in judgment of those who do.

"Judge not lest you be judged" is some wise advice :D

I bought a Boxer Pup from a Thai breeder in a Thai dog mag-The owner bought him up from BKK.

He is 10 months old now and great! He is my 3rd boxer but my first in Thailand.

I was worried about the heat and his breathing because of the short muzzle but we have plenty of shade and water so he tends to play buffalo a lot! However no probs and I'd recommend that particular breeder. Also helpful after-sales phone advice with the pup for my wife whilst I was away. (Like: "DONT OPEN THE GATE!!")

On the subject of inbred dogs at JJ. I wouls say that all pedigree dogs are inbred by definintion. So what do you want and what are you going to do. A pedigree dog will always have inbred traits and weaknesses. It's a question of the severity.

You should consider weighing that against the additional tropical illnesses and ailments to which a pedigree can be exposed. Oh, and he doesn't like ostriches or drunks! :o

We have some bulldog puppies for sale.

Our pups are registered, vet-checked, have health papers, champion bloodlines, White&brown and White&brindle.

For more detail please mail to <email removed - contact by PM>

post-35517-1160013592_thumb.jpg

post-35517-1160013718_thumb.jpg

post-35517-1160013827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Totster

120KG or Pounds? That seems waaay to big for that breed??? Is he part horse?

• 4 weeks later...