More young UK teachers set to head this way - Thailand

webfact

My old University sends some of it's undergraduates on this program, as far as I am concerned it is an opportunity for students to experience Thailand, teaching in Thailand and to broaden their life experience. Whilst the program is only 9 weeks, I am pretty sure that both the undergraduates, schools and the kids benefit from it. Lot's of negativity, as it was last year when this was mentioned.

• Like 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame the Thai Ministry of Education can't work to develop a program to utilize retired farangs living in Thailand as volunteer English teachers....there is potentially a huge pool of available English speaking people ready willing and able to at least assist in helping kids practice speaking and understanding spoken English...but most are scared off by the ridiculous requirements for work permits required to even volunteer for FREE.

Nine weeks with some UK university kids is better than nothing but what happens when the nine weeks are up and they leave....retired farangs properly organized and utilized could be a major asset to Thai schools.

Retired farangs are just that “retired”.

Let people who want to do this job for a living not loose out to bored retired farangs who can work for free.

These 9 weeks schemes are an introduction to teaching in Thailand, therefore creating future interest in coming here seriously when they have gone back home and finished their training and prepared themselves.

Let Thailand know they need to pay a fair wage for these teachers. Campaigning for retirees to work for free does nothing to help working teachers pay structures. Or even not becoming employed at all.

Why are so many of you being negative? They are not here to change the world. They're here to provide students with exposure to a foreign language. Any exposure to the language is a good thing regardless of the duration.

They are here to provide cheap labour for the schools and nothing more. There are here to replace people that have been teaching here for years but don't have a BA in Education even though they are only performing speaking classes. They are here so the schools can save money and in turn put it in the back pocket. They are here so the students can be deprived of consistency in their learning (9 weeks) They are here because they are young and pretty and very likely, white. They are here so the British Council can make money. They are here without work permits and most likely the wrong visa. They are here because they are a quick fix for a system that has gone oh, so wrong .

To those of you who say, what harm will they do, they will delay the need for real change in the education system. Why address it today when we have these freebies for 3 months. We will have another look at it then. And so it goes on............. bah.gif

• Like 1

9 weeks is better than nothing but Thailand is lagging way behind in respect of student exchange/internships/teaching practicum...whatever. Thailand would be an attractive destination for some of the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of students who elect to undertake a "study abroad" experience .

Part of the problem is the relatively few programs taught in English. However that could be overcome with a bit of planning and creativity.

Chiang Mai would be a wonderful place to study. So would many other cities and towns outside Bangkok.

Thais need ex[posure to youngsters from other countries just as much as our kids need to be more international in their thinking.

Many opportunities in this area.

I recall quite a few students spending time in Thailand in the couple of years following the tsunami...teaching, rebuilding, etc. Then it seemed to stop.

Another example of the Thai government opting for the image of providing education rather than actually providing education. This will be a great experience for the young teachers.

However, if the government really wants students to learn English they would:

1. make life easier for English teachers by making it easier for them to work in Thailand.

2. Attract more senior educators who have experience training teachers. A smaller number of them can have a far greater impact than a greater number of kids. While it might not be the blind leading the blind, it will be a case of the visually challenged leading the blind. Experienced trainers are needed to help design a program that actually works.

3. Make the program longer. 9 weeks isn't enough given the sorry mess of English teaching in Thai schools, especially when the foreign teachers are wet behind the ears.

None of those three items are that difficult to implement. Just get over some of the paranoia over outsiders and skim a little less tax money from the education fund and they would be set to go. But who am I kidding...

Edited by boomerexpat

Why are so many of you being negative? They are not here to change the world. They're here to provide students with exposure to a foreign language. Any exposure to the language is a good thing regardless of the duration.

Some people are cynical for some reason but I'd like to say one of our local schools had a couple of these students last year and their contribution was appreciated by both the young students and staff.

Would they appreciate a full time TEFL teacher more!

That would depend on the skills and quality of the TEFL teacher - which IME are highly variable.

These are University students, gaining valuable experiences, and giving something back. See it for what it is.

TEFL teachers - some are very good professionals, others well, they just moan that the "pocket" money they earn should be more, they only do it for the visa or don't need any qualification to teach a language they've been speaking all their lives. See them for what they are.

They are here to provide cheap labour for the schools and nothing more. There are here to replace people that have been teaching here for years but don't have a BA in Education even though they are only performing speaking classes. They are here so the schools can save money and in turn put it in the back pocket. They are here so the students can be deprived of consistency in their learning (9 weeks) They are here because they are young and pretty and very likely, white. They are here so the British Council can make money. They are here without work permits and most likely the wrong visa. They are here because they are a quick fix for a system that has gone oh, so wrong .

To those of you who say, what harm will they do, they will delay the need for real change in the education system. Why address it today when we have these freebies for 3 months. We will have another look at it then. And so it goes on............. bah.gif

Nonsense.

not a fan of the program but as far as visa and work permits are concerned they fall under the excemption status as sanctioned by royal decree. which means under special provisions some people who are performing duties to help benefit areas such as education, culture, sports etc do not need or require a work permit (paid or not).

my last employer in Thailand as a "teacher" (after 3 years of actually teaching) was with a "western" managed company that wanted teachers with enthusiasm not "experience" as all lesson plans were provided and taught via a power point presentation. as long as you could enthusiastically get the students to repeat the word "inside" after showing them a slide of a red dot inside a box they received a grade of 80%. so i imagine these guys and gals could do no worse then this prgram.

i lasted 3 months before admitting to myself this program was actually rolling back the students english language skills and quit.

9 weeks is better than nothing but Thailand is lagging way behind in respect of student exchange/internships/teaching practicum...whatever. Thailand would be an attractive destination for some of the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of students who elect to undertake a "study abroad" experience .

Part of the problem is the relatively few programs taught in English. However that could be overcome with a bit of planning and creativity.

Chiang Mai would be a wonderful place to study. So would many other cities and towns outside Bangkok.

Thais need ex[posure to youngsters from other countries just as much as our kids need to be more international in their thinking.

Many opportunities in this area.

I recall quite a few students spending time in Thailand in the couple of years following the tsunami...teaching, rebuilding, etc. Then it seemed to stop.

There are some relationships being developed between Thai and UK universities on joint research. But, I agree, more could be done and at a faster pace. I also know some Thai universities have good relationships with American, Australian, Finnish, French and German universities. It's coming, albeit slowly. Many of the universities outside Bangkok could really benefit from this a lot more than they do.

"Helen Sunderland, who took part in the scheme in 2013, said: "Stepping into the unknown has been challenging, scary at times but also exhilarating, eye-opening, fascinating and inspiring.""

exhilarating, eye-opening, fascinating and inspiring: that was LOS untill some ten years ago. Now it's mixed emotions.

She must have been teaching in Soi 6

Teaching methods in Thailand must be reformed. Also the system still doesn't acknowledge English being an important language. In addition, students are not able to question or interrogate their peers, rather than leaning parrot fashion, which may give pupils basic understanding of certain subjects, but does not allow them to expand their minds. With regards to English being taught, I know from personal experience that this is a very frustrating task, since every time you fail a pupil, the head teacher will then overrule the grade with a pass, thus defeating the object of teaching, and subsequently undermines both the teacher and their authority. Therefore, this mindset must be changed, including the 'loosing face' ideology. Finally, and the most important issue, Thailand must only use fully qualified teachers who have passed their degree in teaching, which will raise the standard. Using so-called 'teachers' which are unqualified and have no practical teaching experience will prove to be counterproductive. However, in order to attract such talent, Thailand must adequately accommodate them, and provide incentives to teach.

Edited by useronthenet

"Britain facing literacy crisis which will leave nearly 1.5 million 11-year-olds unable to read properly by 2025"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-facing-literacy-crisis-which-will-leave-nearly-15-million-11yearolds-unable-to-read-properly-by-2025-9717408.html

Seems Thailand is not the only country with a lack of English teachers/ education.

Teaching methods in Thailand must be reformed.Therefore, this mindset must be changed, including the 'loosing face' ideology.

Problem is you are thinking like a teacher unlike some of the "let's not be so negative" posters. Setting up a competent EFL program is not the equivalent to building the pyramids or getting a man on the moon. Other countries have done it and Thailand can learn from them. However, an attitude of "hey this is better than nothing" is not the way to do it. You have to take the task seriously and set up a system designed to develop students who can speak, read and write English.

"Britain facing literacy crisis which will leave nearly 1.5 million 11-year-olds unable to read properly by 2025"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-facing-literacy-crisis-which-will-leave-nearly-15-million-11yearolds-unable-to-read-properly-by-2025-9717408.html

Seems Thailand is not the only country with a lack of English teachers/ education.

The UK has a huge problem in attracting new teachers. One of the reasons for the Teach First program. http://www.teachfirst.org.uk

indyuk post # 24.

Members articles on this news item are very disappointing, and tend to be very negative. The fact is none of the responders seem to understand the project and its objectives which have been agreed both by the Thai sponsors and the UK administrators.

The objective is simple in that the visiting students are to experience the Thi teaching environment and to understand what it takes to be an expat teacher. The goal is to encourage many of the UK post graduates to come to Thailand and teach Thai students professionally within the Thai Education system.

This is not a new event. This years event is the third of a new format launched three years ago.

Possibly true for a few although the greater majority of those prospective teachers that come from the U.K. to work here on a longer term full time basis will not be working for the agencies or in fact the state schools either with their 9-10 month contracts, classes of 45 students plus, no paid holidays, health insurance etc.

They'll be working in the top end E.P. programmes and the international schools system where they will be paid the salary applicable to their qualifications for 12 months of the year, paid holidays, flights home medical insurance work permit etc.

My childs school had a couple of these post grads last year.

They dont last long, mainly due to the restrictions placed upon them from the actual schools on what they are allowed to teach.

IE not allowed to step outside Thai curriculem, or to instill any free thinking into the children

Land of smile - until you get off the plane.

• Like 1

Good intentions set aside, this program is doomed to fail. The Thailand experience can be a risky one with temptations such as tropical party islands and sex wherever you look. It will take the 'misbehavior' of just a handful of young teachers to take the program down and end up in the newspapers for the wrong reasons.

A little wager: what percentage of new teachers will finish this 9 week experience? 50% I think

TEFL teachers do that every week not just for 9. And we are being put through the ringer, many unable to meet the ever changing regulations and rules.

If you're really a TEFL teacher, what's the mistake in your sentence?

;)

• Like 1

Nine weeks? Sounds a bit too long to a holiday. Definitely too long for a diversion. I mean it's a holiday for the foreigners and a diversion for the Thai students.

About three days would be nice. Stretch it to a week, at most. Absolutely not nine weeks.

And leave the jokes about 'teaching experience' 'chance to speak English' blah blah blah.

K

TEFL teachers do that every week not just for 9. And we are being put through the ringer, many unable to meet the ever changing regulations and rules.

;)

Educate me .. you know you want to!

I'm thinking you are referring to my typing 9 rather than nine!

But I will await your valuable input, obviously stressing the fact that THIS is an informal forum and not a Cambridge test.

Edited by casualbiker

My old University sends some of it's undergraduates on this program, as far as I am concerned it is an opportunity for students to experience Thailand, teaching in Thailand and to broaden their life experience. Whilst the program is only 9 weeks, I am pretty sure that both the undergraduates, schools and the kids benefit from it. Lot's of negativity, as it was last year when this was mentioned.

So you wouldn't agree that young learners need consistency then?

You seem to think that every school in Thailand has the resources to hire English-speaking teachers. Have you been to any poor rural schools where they can barely afford chalk? Would you deprive students at these schools the opportunity to hear NESs speaking when it is offered for free when the alternative is no exposure at all? Or perhaps you have examples of how these '9 week' volunteers have stolen the jobs and therefore livelihoods of teachers at schools in which they have been sent?

• Like 1

K

wink.png

Educate me .. you know you want to!

I'm thinking you are referring to my typing 9 rather than nine!

But I will await your valuable input, obviously stressing the fact that THIS is an informal forum and not a Cambridge test.

TEFL teachers do that every week, and not simply just for nine weeks. We are being put through the ringer, with many unable to meet the ever changing...... .

Best to avoid sentences beginning with 'And', when you can simply use 'and' as a conjunction and continue the sentence, and ensure it's accurate. ;)

I'm no grammar Nazi, but you did ask.

You seem to think that every school in Thailand has the resources to hire English-speaking teachers. Have you been to any poor rural schools where they can barely afford chalk? Would you deprive students at these schools the opportunity to hear NESs speaking when it is offered for free when the alternative is no exposure at all? Or perhaps you have examples of how these '9 week' volunteers have stolen the jobs and therefore livelihoods of teachers at schools in which they have been sent?

Where from, and why, did the word 'volunteer' crop in?

I think it's a great idea. Anytime Thais get exposed to outsiders, outside thinking, anything from the outside it's good. It may even inspire some to actually learn another language. Thais could use a little Inspiration, motivation, and justification for learning another language.

Edited by SaamBaht

What does it cost?

You will need to cover:

• return airfares UK-Thailand-UK
  • cost of Thai visa
  • travel to UK pre-departure briefing
  • travel and medical insurance
  • cost of DBS (criminal record check) in the UK.

In return, you will be provided with:

• orientation programme in Bangkok with accommodation
  • transport between Bangkok and your workplace at the start/end of contract
  • accommodation at or near your workplace
  • lunch during school days
  • a monthly allowance to offset your costs in Thailand

How else would you describe it?

Source: http://www.britishcouncil.org/study-work-create/opportunity/work-volunteer/thailand-english-teaching-programme

I don't think 9 weeks is sufficient to teach and learn. It is not even enough to get used to the accent of the teacher. Another program run by crooks. Why not give them a semester to do it??

As you say, it is only exposure with no impact at all.

Please supply the details of why they are crooks? Link to confirm that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Although the word volunteer is not used it is obviously implied. Are you suggesting they are being sent here unwillingly? Otherwise my interpretation is that they are volunteers.

• Like 1