media streaming device options today ?

ETatBKK

hi there

my WD TV retiring soon, and I am looking for an upgrade replacement that matches my AC network. the limitation is my non-smart Samsung TV has only HDMI port.

other than another WD Element Play, what other options available today in Thai market ?

thanks . . .

Loads. Go and have a wander round Fortune Town.

Often you can get IPTV in the deal as well.

thanks for info . . .

Chromecast is just good enough for my purpose, unfortunately my PC to Chromecast is just a bit too far over two different floors.

checked other media streaming solutions already, either bridge that comes with strong wifi range but ethernet only no HDMI, or some others the wifi is rather weak.

I have the WDTV unit, which I like, but recently added a Minix NEO X8-H unit. The Minix unit is android based and also supports 4K. I picked one up in Fortune for a tad over 4000 baht.

The Minix has 3 USB ports, plus an SD card slot. So far I am fairly pleased with it.

Link: Minix X8-H

WOW . . . impressive ! well, I won't plan a 4K screen, then I wonder how much screen features and performance comes from the Minix X8 and how much of those from the TV ? it looks like it could turn a dump TV into a smart TV. I'm doing homework on it . . . thanks for the link.

I like especially the external antenna. in case the wifi range is in doubt, then I could pop in a long extension. I did a bad job in planning my wifi location.

by the way, how is the wifi range on this device with you ?

I have the WDTV unit, which I like, but recently added a Minix NEO X8-H unit. The Minix unit is android based and also supports 4K. I picked one up in Fortune for a tad over 4000 baht.

The Minix has 3 USB ports, plus an SD card slot. So far I am fairly pleased with it.

WOW . . . impressive ! well, I won't plan a 4K screen, then I wonder how much screen features and performance comes from the Minix X8 and how much of those from the TV ? it looks like it could turn a dump TV into a smart TV. I'm doing homework on it . . . thanks for the link.

I like especially the external antenna. in case the wifi range is in doubt, then I could pop in a long extension. I did a bad job in planning my wifi location.

by the way, how is the wifi range on this device with you ?

Can't really give you a definitive answer as the Minix is only about 3 feet from my wireless router and I am about 12 feet from them. So, obviously, I get a strong signal. tongue.png

The TV is just a display device, so all the heavy lifting is done my the Minix.

You could always use a power over ethernet (POE) device(s), leaves wifi for dead inside any property up to100m from your modem router via your mains power, I use the Asus ones (tp ones pictured below) and streams 4k well off youtube to via the M8 set top box.

11417.jpg

Edited by joncl

Can't really give you a definitive answer as the Minix is only about 3 feet from my wireless router and I am about 12 feet from them. So, obviously, I get a strong signal. tongue.png

The TV is just a display device, so all the heavy lifting is done my the Minix.

lucky you, 3 feet away :-)

been checking the Minix Neo X8-H, the price fluctuates from B4,000+ to B6,999 !! also, some include the M1 air-mouse, some don't.

yeah, this little box does a lot of amazing things. certainly we don't look back to the WD TV, at similar price !

You could always use a power over ethernet (POE) device(s), leaves wifi for dead inside any property up to100m from your modem router via your mains power, I use the Asus ones (tp ones pictured below) and streams 4k well off youtube to via the M8 set top box.

thanks for the idea ! while I see the Ethernet port and the external antenna, there are a lot of ideas then - a long antenna, a media bridge, re-lay an Ethernet cable . . .

while my AC router upstairs, I have no problem with all the mobile devices downstairs; but running SKYPE on a laptop downstairs, streaming quality not as good. perhaps my laptop is old.

looking into the Minix Neo X8-H and all the amazing functions and features, apps, it is worth to find a new solution for it !

thanks for very clear very explicit comparison !

I guess IPTV could always be subscribed later. and now I need to understand all these XBMC, IPTV, PLEX, before I make the choice . . .

thanks

been checking the Minix Neo X8-H, the price fluctuates from B4,000+ to B6,999 !! also, some include the M1 air-mouse, some don't.

yeah, this little box does a lot of amazing things. certainly we don't look back to the WD TV, at similar price !

I paid a tad over 4000 baht in Fortune Town mall only a couple of weeks ago, and that included the air mouse.

The air mouse, by the way, is absolutely useless, unless you enjoy swinging your arm wildly to try and move the cursor. The included IR mouse works way way better, and 1000% more reliably.

If you really want the air mouse, you can have mine... gratis. laugh.png

11417.jpg

Thats not POE, if I remember correctly its normally called powerline but think that may be a brand name.

POE is a normal network cable that eliminates the need for a power supply on the remote devices. But it needs expensive compatible devices throughout (end unit, switches, routers)

I paid a tad over 4000 baht in Fortune Town mall only a couple of weeks ago, and that included the air mouse.

The air mouse, by the way, is absolutely useless, unless you enjoy swinging your arm wildly to try and move the cursor. The included IR mouse works way way better, and 1000% more reliably.

that is an impressive 4,000+ baht :- ) could you able to point me to a direction ?

air mouse is nice to have. it is bundled with the Neo X8-H in this launch promotion. I don't want to pay the same price but someone sells it separately.

They also sell the minix x8-h at pantip 4th floor in a small shop in the alley that you walk to the elevator. The price is the same as Thaimkv shown in the link.

I have an x8-h and one of the best things about it is that they have a great forum and help site on minix.hk. I would also recommend installing XBMC from tv addons formerly xbmchub.com which is an amazing 100% free movie and tv platform. Through xbmc you can even stream thai tv so you don't have to worry about ever switching out of the minix box back to the tv.

They also sell the minix x8-h at pantip 4th floor in a small shop in the alley that you walk to the elevator. The price is the same as Thaimkv shown in the link.

I have an x8-h and one of the best things about it is that they have a great forum and help site on minix.hk. I would also recommend installing XBMC from tv addons formerly xbmchub.com which is an amazing 100% free movie and tv platform. Through xbmc you can even stream thai tv so you don't have to worry about ever switching out of the minix box back to the tv.

thanks for the direction, will check it out !

indeed the MINIX website is quite comprehensive, good for new user like me !

i have one waitin for me at home, ordered it before a month at the beach, cant wait to play with it when i get back late this month.

well i guess i can wait as i extended my stay but the thing is just plain cool.

that is an impressive 4,000+ baht :- ) could you able to point me to a direction ?

air mouse is nice to have. it is bundled with the Neo X8-H in this launch promotion. I don't want to pay the same price but someone sells it separately.

I came via MRT, so entered Fortune at the MRT entrance. Went to the second or third floor and headed toward Lotus. At this point all I can tell you is the shop is on the left. Not far from the escalator, if I remember correctly.

I came via MRT, so entered Fortune at the MRT entrance. Went to the second or third floor and headed toward Lotus. At this point all I can tell you is the shop is on the left. Not far from the escalator, if I remember correctly.

thanks WB, I get it at B4,700. these days the pricing is quite tight, most Pantip and Fortune shops at B4,900. with my Thai, save B200 :- )

absolutely agree with you, the air mouse to be improved significantly.