Stricter driving license approvals enforced against people with 10 medical conditions

webfact

As soon as I turned 75, I was sent a letter by the QLD Transport Office (Australia) reminding me that I HAD to have a medical test and then every year, and carry it with me whenever driving.

Same sorts of problems that Thailand is checking, such as diabetes, heart problems.

It's not a big problem and the doctor filled it in a couple of minutes. I'll carry this with me here when/if this becomes law in Thailand.

Seeing your own GP is speedier, as they have our medical history.

Visual impairment, will that include Red - green colour blindness so Thais actually know they've gone through a Stop light. ?

Oh wait, that's not important.

I have red-green colourblindness, as are one in ten men. However, I can tell red from green. Thankfully the test only requires us to differentiate between red, green, yellow and blue.

Never been involved in an accident in the UK or here. Nearly drove into the back of a songtaew once, but that was entirely the fault of the lady walking down the street in a skirt shorter than her knickers.

Never seen a blue traffic light! Mind you the guy up the road has taken the law into his own hands and instead of red/white or black/white has painted the pavement kerb stones blue/white..What does that mean?

Visual impairment, will that include Red - green colour blindness so Thais actually know they've gone through a Stop light. ?

Oh wait, that's not important.

I have red-green colourblindness, as are one in ten men. However, I can tell red from green. Thankfully the test only requires us to differentiate between red, green, yellow and blue.

Never been involved in an accident in the UK or here. Nearly drove into the back of a songtaew once, but that was entirely the fault of the lady walking down the street in a skirt shorter than her knickers.

Never seen a blue traffic light! Mind you the guy up the road has taken the law into his own hands and instead of red/white or black/white has painted the pavement kerb stones blue/white..What does that mean?
Black paint finished ??.

I miss the underaged minors, sometimes as young as 8 driving a public road, often without,

# Helmet

# Insurance

on a 150 cc motorcycle doing 120 Km /Hr passing policeofficers and riding the opposite direction of 'normal' traffic.

I miss intoxicated drunks,having a lively chat with a traffic cop only to continue their stumbling driving skill to get home.

Any way

Medical certificates@50 bath each issued around the corner.

Safe journey all !!

And what about driving while operating a mobile phone (a major cause of accidents and almost universally accepted here as nirmal driving practice).

And my favourite, unrestrained babies/toddlers in the front seat going crazy with stereo/aircon dials etc and causing a major driver distraction.

'But he cries if I put him in his properly fitted car seat'

Give me a break!

He will cry a whole lot more when he hits the windscreen after you slam on the brakes to avoid that motorcyclist in front of you that you saw at the last minute because the kid turned the stereo up to full, who is trying to text his gf while balancing a 3foot high stack of eggs on his pillion seat.

Thats if he ever wakes up again.

But then, driver colour blindness is a much more pressing issue.

What a country!

I don't know what this people/government is doing, but sure not governing while economics are down every day, i think there are other things to worry about.

And what about the % of accidents caused by one of this medical conditions, maybe 0.01% but sure not higher than that.

Improvement of driving skills by a serious practical test and teach them respect for other drivers and rules and regulations, that might help.

You actually want the employees at the DLT to stop working on Drivers Licenses and start working on solving the economy of the country? Yep, that will fix it.

I would think that your guess of 0.01% is off as well, but then again, I am sure you verified this and did not just make it up off the top of your head. Remember, just because you think something is true, does not make it true.

• Like 1

I thought mental impairment was a prerequisite to obtaining a driving licence in Thailand.

Yesterday a Thai lady driver smashed into the back of my car, she said why did you stop suddenly, I said because I'm in my home driveway.

• Like 1

Hey, give them their dues. At least they are doing their job and making up laws, no matter how effective or how much people will comply.

The word I noticed, however, was the word "enforced". The day Thai authorities begin enforcing anything is the day Thai government meets its maker... namely, the people.

People gotta eat. If they have no transportation, they lose their livelihood. If they lose their livelihood and can't eat, then no one needs to ask what a Thai does when they get backed into a corner. They'll find a way, no matter what the cost, and to who.

As long as the government keeps making its laws and not enforcing them, then this will remain the Land of Smiles.

So there is nothing wrong with this article as far as "making laws" is concerned, and the worthless government employees get to continue the operations of their paper empires of thousands upon millions of duplicate, falsified documents... and they are happy with that.

And besides, this law is only for the very small percentage of those Thais who do get a license. Squeeze those people out of the equation and everyone will be purchasing from the classifieds, and to hell with restrictions, because "enforcing" takes place in only two places: 1) The places where good people go to get approval from, and to be subjected to rude, incompetent, lazy, apathetic jack-asses, as well as the most inane, stupid and ludicrous approval processes which could ever be imagined or created by any aging NASA chimp, and 2) out on the road, by the BIB if one is unfortunate enough to get pinned down by one. They don't check your license plates, your insurance or your license. They simply take the "paper" and you are on your way. It's actually cheaper to go this route if one gets fed-up enough and doesn't mind driving around in a reasonably cheap second-hand vehicle that doesn't look so bad.

SO that leaves a HUGE gap in between for desperate people to fit in and quite possibly never feel this idiotic "enforcement", which in this country is about as stupid as asking people to voluntarily report for extermination.

But that is the far extreme.

It will never get to that simply because falsified documents are easy to obtain, and running checks and balances on those documents are impossible, as no one has the time to make visits (too over-worked and lazy or name anything), and databases do not exist in this land except in the form of thousands upon millions of dusty, paper-stuffed zerox boxes, crammed under desks, along the walls of offices and in once vacant rooms and warehouses.

No! Do not be afraid of the wizard anymore once you realize it's simply a fat, balding old man behind a curtain.

Dorothy was ignorant enough when in OZ to behave like a good girl, and soon discovered that being good will require you to travel all over OZ on several wild goose chases to procure things that you already have with you from the start: a heart, a brain, and courage.

So, screw the wizard charade, and giving wais to the wizard, and either go it on your own (with a level head), or simply pay a Thai to yank away the curtain and ask the wizard, "How much" and dispense with all the goody-two-shoes crap.

...Bwahaahaa!

I think you should cut down on the coffee.

• Like 1

So there'll be another means of income selling medical certificates.

drug addiction? what doctor is going to approve a drug addict for a drivers license? answer, money talks!

If drug addiction is on the list then a lot of smokers are going to be buying pushbikes... Edited by simondan

• 3 years later...
On 9/8/2014 at 5:44 PM, Nickymaster said:

If you have a of those deceases you will need to bring a certificate from the hospital. (What if a person doesn't bring the certificate is the question that follows).

Good point but I guess they will require a medical certificate to say you don't have any of those conditions.  So far it seems too vague to be of any use and people will be probably be able to get certificates from small clinics where they have no medical records, as is the case for work permits.  Denying people the right to drive if a doctor has genuinely assessed they shouldn't be driving on a case by case but this seems a long way from that.