Hawaii's 'Teddy's Bigger Burgers' expanding to Thailand

webfact

On the actual subject of this thread, It will be interesting to see where they open, and what their pricing will be.

Right now, it seems to be, there two ends of the hamburger spectrum available here (leaving aside fast food stuff).

There's the really price, fancy fancy burger, high-end places (hotel eateries and others) that want 450-500b+ for a hamburger. And then, there's lately been quite an evolution of burger trucks around Bangkok, serving by most reports some very good burgers with interesting dressings/add-ons, but at very reasonable 150-250b prices. But those are street trucks, without real service or seating or air con or anything.

So, I'm wondering, will someone open an actual traditional sit-down restaurant where you can have a good burger with good ingredients at reasonable or at least value for the money prices. Maybe someone from Hawaii who's familiar with them can chime in on where they fit in the restaurant hierarchy scale.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to all of you who are bashing TH beef, times have changed and you have obviously never had the pleasure of eating KU Beef (available fresh in Makro): http://www.kubeef.com/index.php

Would that be Makro nation wide or at a particular Makro near your home? Too bad they don't have an English language option.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

to all of you who are bashing TH beef, times have changed and you have obviously never had the pleasure of eating KU Beef (available fresh in Makro): http://www.kubeef.com/index.php

Would that be Makro nation wide or at a particular Makro near your home? Too bad they don't have an English language option.

i first had KU beef in Phuket and we purchased it in the original Phuket Town main Makro (i have no idea if its in the Chalong or Patong locations) ... i do not know how wide the distribution is across TH ... KU Beef as i understand it is a university/govt ag dept program and they can only produce a limited amount as the herd is not too large. i do know that when the major floods hit the country a few years back it caused big problems for them and it was a slow recovery to get back up to speed.

about 2 years ago i had a TH chef that i worked with call them and ask them about distribution/delivery, and back then they were taking orders for shipment by bus to anywhere in TH. its not an easy negotiation/discussion though (and it was even difficult for the TH chef who knows what they are talking about) as they are never quite sure what will be available and in what quantities. but i find KU beef worth the hassle of sourcing, in particular the topsides (makes a great roast beef), brisket, and the bavette steaks.

i would think that anyone who has a good freezer would be able to arrange for a shipment to be delivered. if i recall back then the minimum order was not that much, but the more you did order the shipping costs would be better amortized.

Edited by mtnthai

Maybe Europeans that hate America so much should counter act these American restaurants that seem to be so successful. Oops that's right your are too proud of food, that is locally grown on a certain valley, during certain times, and bears a PDO stamp. Good luck with that.

It seems you would also have to import your very own Mother to make it the way it should be done. Wonder why US chains are gobbling up market share?

• 9 months later...

I like Spam!

If Teddies is similar to a Karl's Junior burger I will pass.

If you want a really good burger and your in Melbourne, Australia try Captain America Burger.

post-63954-0-69302000-1434324228_thumb.j

And take the challenge if your man enough.....or the smaller challenge if your a girl!

post-63954-0-73068600-1434324349_thumb.j

You could become a legioned!

post-63954-0-21703900-1434324415_thumb.j

How on earth could you eat that?

Physically I mean! On occasion it has been remarked ( unkindly I maintain) that I have a big mouth, but I could never manage to take a bite of that!

I certainly will try one. Don't be so hysterical, most of us will not those burgers on a daily basis but have it as a treat once in a while.

As for all the "I hate junk food - eat Thai food instead" comments: have you looked at the contents of Mama packages, have you noticed the generous amount of MSG added to the dishes, are you aware of the amount of sugar in most street food? What about CP foods, 7/11 foods (roughly the same), Thai bread and desserts, non-organic meat and vegetables?

I admit I eat most of the stuff, the burgers, pasta, pizza and Thai food - but please do not perceive the Thai food you get on the street as being very healthy food.

Rant over.

How on earth could you eat that?

Physically I mean! On occasion it has been remarked ( unkindly I maintain) that I have a big mouth, but I could never manage to take a bite of that!

The most difficult task can be completed by breaking it down to smaller achievable steps. Not original.

So yes, I could get it past my teeth, but I very much doubt my stomach would contain that volume of food.