Returning to Thailand after 2 years, some questions...

satta

Hi my, girlfiend and I have lived in Thailand for 5 years, teaching without a degree, despite our lack of qualifications we still managed to work at some good schools, with my girlfriend landing a job at a low tier international school. We were averaging about 45k p.m, each, so we lived somewhat comfortable life's. However at times 90k pm between 2 people felt a bit short, especially if you take all your monthly expense into account, plus trying to put a little money away each month.

In 2012 we left Thailand, with the aim of returning home to finish our degrees, since we both only had a year left. Since then we both graduated, my girlfriend with a B.ed. We both managed to secure "okayish" jobs, with half respectable salaries. However we have recently decided that we miss Thailands adventures and that life in the big Mango is just to exciting not to be a part of. So we have decided that we are going to return to Thailand in the next 3 months on a more permanent basis.

I have a few question that I would like some help with:

How much can we expect my girlfriend to earn - being a qualified teacher and having 5 years experience in Thailand?

Will the Thai teaching experience help her land a better job? Or give her an advantage compared to, say someone with 5 years teaching experience in the UK?

Is expecting < 75k pm unrealistic?

I hold a B.tech in Info tech, since my qualification is in IT rather than Education, can I still compete for a salary that a qualified teacher will expect to earn at a good international school?

Should I forget about landing an IT job in Thailand,(I specialize in programming) ?

I know a lot about Thai government and private schools, but know very little about the international schools salaries, job availability, and prerequisites?

Is your best bet to find international school vacancies on ajarn.com? Where does must of the large international schools advertise their vacansies?

I would really appreciate some input to the above question

Thanks in advance

I wish I could help you with some facts. I'm in a lower bracket - one of those people in lowly paid jobs at government schools. 30 k plus free housing wouldn't interest you, of course.

90 k for 2 was pretty good IMHO. And while there is definitely a need, there has been a drive to lower salaries as well. My own limited experience has been that NES are getting replaced with folks who work for less. Just saw an ad for SURIN on Ajarn.com where 15,000 B is offered and a education degree demanded. (Good luck with that).

Are you sure the experience will count?!? Doubt it, not at some International School. But YMMV.

Edited by WonnabeBiker

I have heard better international schools want teaching experience in your own country but maybe the fact you already taught in international schools will help.

I am surprised you got a job at an international school although many private schools pay 50-60,000 a month depending on experience and subject.

Math and science teachers get better salaries for high school.

What subjects are you qualified to teach?