Thai monk's 'death wish puts followers at risk'

webfact

Monk's 'death wish puts followers at risk'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A RENOWNED monk's self-imposed death could be considered a suicide, which would subject his followers to criminal proceedings for allegedly not taking steps to stop him, Medical Council chairman Dr Somsak Lohlekha said yesterday.

He was referring to reports about Luang Pu Phim, the abbot of Wat Weluwan in Chaiyaphum province, telling his followers that he would be going to sleep in his coffin at 9pm last night and that he should be cremated this Thursday at 1pm. The 65-year-old abbot reportedly said this privately on a previous occasion to some of his followers, who then spread the word via social media.

Somsak said anybody "sleeping" in an airtight container like a coffin could die from suffocation in minutes, though a human can survive a few days without water, or weeks without food. "Consciousness can be recovered after nine minutes without oxygen, though one is beyond help if it is longer than 10 minutes," he said.

"Whether the monk's act can be considered suicide, I cannot say. But if people who could have stopped him failed to do so, then they can be prosecuted under Article 374 of the Criminal Code, which carries a month in prison and/or a maximum fine of Bt1,000."

Dr Witthaya Chartbanchachai, who has treated Luang Pu Phim, said the monk had been suffering from a chronic stomach ulcer, gout and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease - all of which are curable. He added that the monk was healthy for his age. "It would be tough for him to die from any of these diseases," he said.

Meanwhile, a deputy director at a Khon Kaen hospital said it was medically and scientifically impossible for someone to predict one's own death.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Monks-death-wish-puts-followers-at-risk-30242932.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-10

"Meanwhile, a deputy director at a Khon Kaen hospital said it was medically and scientifically impossible for someone to predict one's own death."

That this had to be added the story speaks volumes

What would he make of someone who says he / she will die within the next 30 minutes then without warning commits suicide ?

• Like 1

He told them he would lie in his coffin..he didn't tell them to close or seal it.

Meditators can sometimes become aware of their death date and method...but those who do not meditate would never believe the power of the mind.

In the report the police are speaking about suffocation in an air sealed coffin.... Read it again, surely that suggests they believe he suffocated and died from starvation of oxygen... Makes sense to me that someone must have sealed his coffin and his fate.

He told them he would lie in his coffin..he didn't tell them to close or seal it.

Meditators can sometimes become aware of their death date and method...but those who do not meditate would never believe the power of the mind.

'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.' Albert Einstein

• Like 1

Tell me how you can cure gout, total BS

Watch your diet. Look at the chart of food intake with the level of purine present esp in meat / poultry. That will help control your uric acid.

Once the uric acid is under control, the gout will not erupt to cause the join/s pain.

It is just as good as being cured.

ps

Also drink lots of water each day. min. 3 liters to help 'flush' out your system of uric acid built up.

• Like 1

"Meanwhile, a deputy director at a Khon Kaen hospital said it was medically and scientifically impossible for someone to predict one's own death."

What would he make of someone who says he / she will die within the next 30 minutes then without warning commits suicide ?

Where does medicine and science come into that?

Where does medicine and science come into that?

Someone would think about suicide which involves using the brain or is the brain not part of medicine ?

It's not clear from that article: did the monk actually die, or is this just speculation of what could happen if he did die?

I found the wording very confusing as well.

I am guessing he died since I don't think they would have a story about someone who might die....but then again, one never knows for sure.

a maximum fine of Bt1,000

There must be evil spirits around pushing inflation. At least now we know the actual value of a human life in LOS

No we don't, what we do know is the fine for not trying to prevent someone from taking their own life if you are in the position to do so.

It's not clear from that article: did the monk actually die, or is this just speculation of what could happen if he did die?

I found the wording very confusing as well.

I am guessing he died since I don't think they would have a story about someone who might die....but then again, one never knows for sure.

I have just asked my long haired general.

Apparently they will not know if he is dead until 1300. He instructed the people that he was not to checked between 2100 last night and 1300 today.

I have many, many hours meditating and attempting various other mindfulness practices. Go down this road and you will eventually come to have life changing spiritual experiences.

However the idea that it will confer supernatural powers, such as visions illustrating the method and date(!!) of ones demise is a ridiculous superstition. The suggestion only takes away from the true beauty of what is really available.

There is a long and strong tradition, documented by many many recorded stories, of monks, shaman, gurus and so on deciding to die and doing that by force of will.

These stories are older and more plentiful than modern medicine.wai.gif

Correct...................stories, nothing more, wheres the yawn icon

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is a long and strong tradition, documented by many many recorded stories, of monks, shaman, gurus and so on deciding to die and doing that by force of will.

These stories are older and more plentiful than modern medicine.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

This happened to quite a few Tibetan masters who were jailed when the Chinese invaded and foresaw only jail and torture with no chance to teach again in that lifetime..

I have many, many hours meditating and attempting various other mindfulness practices. Go down this road and you will eventually come to have life changing spiritual experiences.

However the idea that it will confer supernatural powers, such as visions illustrating the method and date(!!) of ones demise is a ridiculous superstition. The suggestion only takes away from the true beauty of what is really available.

My teacher L.P.Jaran who is an Arahant has always stated the practice of Vipassana CAN enable one to see one's time of death, see the cause of one's karma, as well as giving the wisdom to help with many of life's problems.

If you practice concentration meditation and reach the fourth jhana then some supernormal powers can be attained...one of which is the ability to see past lives.

Edited by fabianfred

More accurate details on that story on BKK Post.

He said he would die by meditation tonight, day of his birthday.

They also made holes in coffin so he could breath.

He instructed his disciples to check in him on Thursday and do proper rituals in case he was found dead.