Using Touts In Vientiane

I would very much rather hand over my documents etc to a tout for that little extra to save myself waiting in a huge line and dealing with the officials, piece of mind and a hassle free day is worth that little bit more imo, but is it dodgy? Any horror stories? Any success stories? Any way to tell who is a decent tout or not?

People use them everyday. Use one of the people in front of the Consulate that offer to do the paperwork, visa application forms for you. They are not going anywhere. Do remember they cannot get you the visa the same day, although they may tell you they can. They just save you waiting in line.

People use them everyday. Use one of the people in front of the Consulate that offer to do the paperwork, visa application forms for you. They are not going anywhere. Do remember they cannot get you the visa the same day, although they may tell you they can. They just save you waiting in line.

Yea I have done my research and know you have to return the next day around 1:30. It is just a bit of a concern handing over your passport and some money to a stranger you know. Saves a headache waiting though I guess.. How will they know what to put when filling out the form though?

I'm probably going to Vientiene next much, how much do they charge for sticking in your application for you?

The ED visa is 2k baht and the touts often require another 2k for their troubles, you then go away and they do everything for you. Take a read over this.

http://www.livingthai.org/how-to-get-a-thai-ed-visa-in-vientiane-laos.html

Have used them...no problems...

I get a little anxious...anytime I surrender my passport...

It comes down to a matter of trust...if it is a thriving business...in a well traveled tourist area...you are likely safe to use their services...

Or...you can go and stand in line...be talked to like you are a moron...and smile a lot...while you are seething inside...

Have used them...no problems...

I get a little anxious...anytime I surrender my passport...

It comes down to a matter of trust...if it is a thriving business...in a well traveled tourist area...you are likely safe to use their services...

Or...you can go and stand in line...be talked to like you are a moron...and smile a lot...while you are seething inside...

Thanks, I guess it is in their best interest as they can earn A LOT on a daily basis in their world. When you handed your stuff over, what did you need to hand over apart from passport and documents from school (ED)? Address in Thailand, passport photos, 2k, well actually 4 in total, err anything else? Photocopy of new Laos visa on arrival, I heard they want to see that too.

I was in Vientiane about a month ago.

150 people in line in front of me. I was going for an ED visa.

The touts were asking 500 Baht, and NOT the higher price mentioned above.

I was uncertain so did not do it.

The whole process, being number 151 in line took a bit more than two hours.

Bring an umbrella in case it is raining.

ZERO hassle once on the consulate grounds.

They looked at my docs., went "bing, bang bing" with their rubber stamps and I picked up my passport and visa the next day with about a half hour wait.

I was in Vientiane about a month ago.

150 people in line in front of me. I was going for an ED visa.

The touts were asking 500 Baht, and NOT the higher price mentioned above.

I was uncertain so did not do it.

The whole process, being number 151 in line took a bit more than two hours.

Bring an umbrella in case it is raining.

ZERO hassle once on the consulate grounds.

They looked at my docs., went "bing, bang bing" with their rubber stamps and I picked up my passport and visa the next day with about a half hour wait.

Thanks, I have read everywhere 2k, so maybe that was either someone desperate or someone trying to rip you off. A couple of questions, what day did you go there and turn up at what time to be #151? Also like I have already mentioned, what else do I need apart from my schools documents, assport and passport photos?

When I went there, I was hassled by touts immediately, but I knew the forms where going to be fairly easy and I could see most people were doing it themselves.

Their starting price was 500baht, and they dropped all the way down to 50 baht. (500-400-300-200-100-50!!) I'm not kidding!!

It's simple details on the form and plenty of farang in there will offer advise if you're unsure of a question or part of the form.

• Like 1

You are lazy and you have got too much money....

Inpatient, hate crowds especially when it is hot, suffer from an anxiety disorder so these trips are not a blast, have enough money to not have to deal with all that like most people..

• Like 1

...piece of mind and a hassle free day...

If you know they are touts...would you risk your Passport with them? Well its your call at the end of the day.

Yes, that would seem to put at risk your hope of being left with a "piece" of mind. If you have an anxiety disorder, think of being left for awhile without your passport, searching the milling people for the return of some stranger to whom you handed over your passport.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

it is usually never a problem until...July 17th, German guy did this handed his passport blah, blah, goes back on Friday at arranged time, no passport! Tout says, problem, German guy says what problem! Tout says come back Monday, ovrr, and over, and over, "come back Monday!". German tourist goes into offie about passport, official asks him for his receipt for passport. Of course he does not have, tout has. Official starts asking him why he has no receipt if he applied for visa he was given receipt. German guy begins to realize there nay be a problem!

Tout did get his passport back to him on the following Monday afternoon as promised but He did have a few restless nights in Vientiane. As told to me by German tourist upon his return back the guest house in Nong Khai. We had his bags and room holding for him as he was expected back the Friday night.

So most of the time, no problems. However there are the one or two times I have heard of problems. Me, I would not want to be sitting in Vientiane after being told, "no problem ,come back tomorrow" by the tout who i gave my passport to. As if there is a problem the consulate can not help you as you are supposed to hand in and apply for visa in person.

But again many people use them, no problems.

• Like 1

If you have time and the inclination, go on a Friday. I went last month, they opened at 830, and we arrived at 840. We were number 2 and 3 in the non-existent line. We walked out the gate at 855.

When we picked up Monday afternoon after a great weekend in Vientiane, we spent a few minutes talking with some stragglers from the morning crush (I want to say they were number 500-something, but that sounds high).

Oh, and we picked up our passports, but that only took about 20 seconds.

• Like 2

It is a risk, knowing how sloppy asians are & chances of any real support if things go wrong I would just make effort to plan for low volume day & be prompt.

Still have plenty time after dealing with it yourself to relax & with peace of mind, plus any problems will be far easier resolved if you got reciept of application.

I had a cocky friend who use to like tout & visa agents, when his passport went missing he lost a few thousand baht, a few pounds in weight & a lot of his cockiness ...

It is a risk, knowing how sloppy asians are & chances of any real support if things go wrong I would just make effort to plan for low volume day & be prompt.

Still have plenty time after dealing with it yourself to relax & with peace of mind, plus any problems will be far easier resolved if you got reciept of application.

I had a cocky friend who use to like tout & visa agents, when his passport went missing he lost a few thousand baht, a few pounds in weight & a lot of his cockiness ...

This was my thought process of recently, if I get there and encounter issues with my passport or filling out the form etc, I can rectify it myself, then once it's done it's done and I can then have peace of mind. I guess just wake up at 5am, no biggie

it is usually never a problem until...July 17th, German guy did this handed his passport blah, blah, goes back on Friday at arranged time, no passport! Tout says, problem, German guy says what problem! Tout says come back Monday, ovrr, and over, and over, "come back Monday!". German tourist goes into offie about passport, official asks him for his receipt for passport. Of course he does not have, tout has. Official starts asking him why he has no receipt if he applied for visa he was given receipt. German guy begins to realize there nay be a problem!

Tout did get his passport back to him on the following Monday afternoon as promised but He did have a few restless nights in Vientiane. As told to me by German tourist upon his return back the guest house in Nong Khai. We had his bags and room holding for him as he was expected back the Friday night.

So most of the time, no problems. However there are the one or two times I have heard of problems. Me, I would not want to be sitting in Vientiane after being told, "no problem ,come back tomorrow" by the tout who i gave my passport to. As if there is a problem the consulate can not help you as you are supposed to hand in and apply for visa in person.

If its very ugly you have to go to police, report a Passport lost, with that paper to your Embassy or the embassy of a country who handles your countries problems if your country has no Embassy or Consular section there and apply for a emergency Passport, good for max. 1 year.

Than to the (Lao) Immigration to get your entry stamp inside the new Passport.

Cost a bit money, but not the end of the world. I have an Emergency Passport, for other reasons,

the second one in a row. rolleyes.gif

-monk213-

I always come a bit later to Vientiane Thai Consular section after a good breakfast and shower, let us say,

10:45 - 11 AM

At that time, I usually walk out again at 1 PM, sometime the last one. Who cares. tongue.png

Until now, I never used the service of "Agents-helpers" in Vientiane.

But in Cambodia, I always use Visa Agents, many Hotels offer that service, in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Siem Reap, inexpensive and convenient,

Last time, I did not even saw the Agent, Passport to receptionist with 50 Dollar, no papers, no signing,

after some days, Passport back in Reception with Visa.

Edited by ALFREDO

I'm probably going to Vientiene next much, how much do they charge for sticking in your application for you?

The ED visa is 2k baht and the touts often require another 2k for their troubles, you then go away and they do everything for you. Take a read over this.

http://www.livingthai.org/how-to-get-a-thai-ed-visa-in-vientiane-laos.html

More money than sense.

If its very ugly you have to go to police, report a Passport lost, with that paper to your Embassy or the embassy of a country who handles your countries problems if your country has no Embassy or Consular section there and apply for a emergency Passport, good for max. 1 year.

Than to the (Lao) Immigration to get your entry stamp inside the new Passport.

Cost a bit money, but not the end of the world. I have an Emergency Passport, for other reasons,

the second one in a row. rolleyes.gif

-monk213-

I always come a bit later to Vientiane Thai Consular section after a good breakfast and shower, let us say,

10:45 - 11 AM

At that time, I usually walk out again at 1 PM, sometime the last one. Who cares. tongue.png

Until now, I never used the service of "Agents-helpers" in Vientiane.

But in Cambodia, I always use Visa Agents, many Hotels offer that service, in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Siem Reap, inexpensive and convenient,

Last time, I did not even saw the Agent, Passport to receptionist with 50 Dollar, no papers, no signing,

after some days, Passport back in Reception with Visa.

I too have an additional Tourist Passport, same country of issue - thought I had lost mine away and requested a new one - I found the old one and used it without even batting an eye - used the new one and it works - so I have one pspt that is good for another seven years and the other still 9 1/2 years before expiration

I too have an additional Tourist Passport, same country of issue - thought I had lost mine away and requested a new one - I found the old one and used it without even batting an eye - used the new one and it works - so I have one pspt that is good for another seven years and the other still 9 1/2 years before expiration

You can get away with that in countries like Thailand because they do not check Interpol database (cfr MH370 case), in other places you would be pulled out and grilled on why you are using a reportedly lost passport.

Thursday is apparently a bad day to go since a lot of people come in groups on that day.

There were about a total of 500 people or so on the Thursday that I happened to go there.

There is supposedly another bad day to go. Might be Tuesday, but I do not remember.

My school filled in all the necessary docs. with a tiny bit of my help, so I had no other forms to fill out.

The asking price from the two touts I talked to, was B500.

charlie

You can get away with that in countries like Thailand because they do not check Interpol database (cfr MH370 case), in other places you would be pulled out and grilled on why you are using a reportedly lost passport.

-TunnelRat69-

Be careful, -paz- is right.

A second -valid- Passport was, is a good help, if you visit Arab countries, even Malaysia and visited Israel beforehand. Showing that with a Israeli stamp.

BUT, I read now, the Israel stamp can be avoided now. whistling.gif