PHUKET: Seven officials targeted in Phuket 'bad land' probe

Lite Beer

PHUKET: Seven officials targeted in Phuket 'bad land' probe

Darawan Naknakhon

1410351101_1-org.jpg

Cheewapap Cheewatham, former chief of Sirinart Marine National Park, picture above in sunglasses.

PHUKET: The Crime Suppression Unit (CSU) of the Royal Forestry Department is to report seven government officials to the police on suspicion that they were involved in the illegal granting of Chanote land ownership papers for land next to Freedom Beach.

Cheewapap Cheewatham, former chief of Sirinart Marine National Park and now head of the CSU, confirmed yesterday (September 9) that his unit and the Royal Thai Police had been gathering evidence of encroachment in the Freedom Beach case and also in parts of the former Khao Ruak Khao Muang park, a precursor of Sirinart Park.

The unit was expected to present the cases to the authorities this week.

The Freedom Beach case has been under investigation for years and in 2012 the CSU reported its suspicions to the Land Department in a bid to stop the land title upgrade to Chanote on the grounds that the land was part of national forest in the Nakkerd Hills.

The CSU unit said two Royal Forestry Department officials and five Land Office officials involved in this case "will be punished according to the law".

As for the forest area in the former Khao Ruak Khao Muang Park, a special unit is investigating requests to upgrade three SorKor1 papers to Chanote.

Investigators believe that corruption is involved because all three plots are over 100 rai, and this size for a SorKor 1 plot is unheard of. They believe that the same seven corrupt officials are involved in this case.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/seven-officials-targeted-in-phuket-bad-land-probe-48664.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-10

• Like 1

7 people about to be served. They will be tipped off ahead of time and the bidding will begin and come Monday, not a single one of them will be in a jail cell. Any bets?

"The Freedom Beach case has been under investigation for years and in 2012 the CSU reported its suspicions to the Land Department in a bid to stop the land title upgrade to Chanote on the grounds that the land was part of national forest in the Nakkerd Hills."

I don't think any of these people are being tipped off. I just hope they are wondering how they can wriggle out of this, other than running away. My hope is that all these sort of corrupt practices will be stopped. Yes, I do dream on ...

• Like 1

This is a very encouraging start into government official's corrupt and illegal money making deals.

I agree, unless they are treated like the RTP and are just moved to an inactive post..

When high ranking RTP are administratively moved to an inactive post in Bangkok, it may be to remove them from "power" so they cannot continue past behaviors; prevent them from influencing others by use of office; ensure their proximity for further proceedings; to provide time to complete investigations that lead to their removal; and to prepare judicial and non-judicial briefs.

It may be an empty desk, with few resources and a convenient place to park them until the hammer falls.

7 people about to be served. They will be tipped off ahead of time and the bidding will begin and come Monday, not a single one of them will be in a jail cell. Any bets?

"The Freedom Beach case has been under investigation for years and in 2012 the CSU reported its suspicions to the Land Department in a bid to stop the land title upgrade to Chanote on the grounds that the land was part of national forest in the Nakkerd Hills."

I don't think any of these people are being tipped off. I just hope they are wondering how they can wriggle out of this, other than running away. My hope is that all these sort of corrupt practices will be stopped. Yes, I do dream on ...

Agree. No dream, Sir.

There is a new Sheriff in town.

Unfortunately that is the way people read these days: 1 official said he was not asked to look into that, so everybody concludes: Thai authorities are letting them get away with it. Which was clearly not what he said.

It is a very pleasing thought (at least pleasing to me) to think about at least 7 'corrupt officials' Shaking in their boots..................... Not to mention the thousands of other similar 'Corrupt' officials that are getting a warning from this 'catch'.................

• Like 1