Where to go what to do in KL?

vspin134

I don't know about finder dining establishments but KL is an absolute Mecca if you enjoy Indian & Chinese food. Go to a Mamak stand, eat everything and pay like 100 baht. Food is slightly more expensive than Thailand but you get so much more meat and actual food.

Try the Summerview Hotel right next to KL Sentral. Airport train terminates there. From Sentral take the monorail to Bukit Bintang many tourists but try Jalan Alor for great Malay and Thai seafood and many other dishes. If standing at the twin towers facing Maybank building, go right for about 500M and you will find a great Nasi Kandar place. Also check out if you have time, KL Bird park and surrounds, lovely parks or goto Batu Caves in the north of the city by rail, not bad lots of tourists would not go again. Petaling street is ok but plenty of those type markets in LOS.

Looking for entertainment in KL?...

Gather with other travelers in the courtyard of the Royal Thai Embassy, where crowds of nervous farangs squeeze toward the door to escape the hordes of thirsty mosquitoes who come from all over the province to feast on rich non-Malay blood. Once inside you will be entertained by the sight of at least 20% of the applicants on any given day,being denied visas to LOS for the thinnest of reasons. "But I already have reservations, and tickets to Kow Samooey!...My fee-once-say is waiting for me!" etc. The staff are unmoved by such entreaties. They seem to have a quota system to see who can score the most "turn-aways."

Outside, you can watch people do the popular "Dance on Death" trying to cross always busy Jalan Ampang ("Embassy Road"). The cars seem to speed up through this section, and lean on their horns as they fly by. Crosswalk? Fuhgeddaboutit! Most taxi drivers don't know where the embassy is, but will act as if they do, while they drive around aimlessly downtown, as the meter clicks away, if they bother to even turn it on. (Generally, though, they are more honest than their brethren in Bangkok.) Up to you to show them how to get there. Then they drop you across the highway, so you can play toreador with the traffic.

The KL Shuffle, as played from Chiang Mai:

• Fly into KLCC (Cheap airport where Air Asia flies.) Monday afternoon. Take cheap but endless 1-1/2 hour bus ride into downtown bus terminal in "Brickfields." (aka Little India) You can find cheap lodging here, if you don't mind a few whorehouses in the neighborhood. This area is slated for a massive teardown soon.
  • Tueday morning: gag through breakfast at your cheap hotel (if you dare), hit the street, pray you can find a taxi with an honest driver (Chinese are to be preferred.)
  • See above. Jockey for position in courtyard. Think Immigration in CM is crowded? Wait til you see this room. At least they have A/C.
  • If visa approved (BIG "IF"!) you will come back Wed. afternnoon after 1:30, all pleased with yourself to have run the gauntlet. But it's not over yet, you still have to make the plane home.
  • Thursday morning flight back to CM Leaves very early (Before 7:00 AM) The shuttle will get you there, but if you've got about $30, a taxi is much easier on your nerves. The airport is FAR out of town. But they have doughnuts!
  • Repeat every 90 days! ("O" non-imm.)

I don't know why I wrote all of that. You said KL, and the memories came flooding back. It's a fine city. Great food all over the place, a monorail that actually goes somewhere, not just a tourist shuck. There is a vertical IT mall in the center of the city called LOW YAT Plaza which has EVERYTHING you ever wanted to see/fondle in the way of computers/tablet/phones. Jump off the monorail and you're there. 6 floors of great stuff, if you're into that. Make sure whatever you buy has a Thai-compatible plug, instead of the big herky Malaysian 3 prong.

• Like 2

Try the "Coluseum cafe" , if it's still there it's like taking a step back hundred years. A bar and eating house originally for European plantation owners, chops and steaks served on flaming griddle pans with perfect mashed potatoe. Not for every one but great food and a big slice of "Empire" nostalgia. Any taxi driver will know where it is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Try the "Coluseum cafe" , if it's still there it's like taking a step back hundred years. A bar and eating house originally for European plantation owners, chops and steaks served on flaming griddle pans with perfect mashed potatoe. Not for every one but great food and a big slice of "Empire" nostalgia. Any taxi driver will know where it is.

Agree 100%. Or skip the steaks and just sleep upstairs. Annoying so many transexual/transvestite prostitutes nearby though. i mean couldn't Malaysians have the decency to have *real* hookers?

IMHO...

the best thing about KL...

Leboh Ampang or South Indian restaurants

the worst thing about KL..

BEDBUGS!!! (unless you spend USD100 a night)